Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Book it to Hollywood - Game of Thrones

"Winter is coming."  The motto of the Stark family that reigns in stoic solidarity in their chillier lands in the north, loyal to what I personally say is a king who lost his firm footing in the warmer climates to the south.

"A Lannister always pays his debts."  Less of a motto and more of a truth...and a powerful way one family deftly wields influence.

These are but two families that deal heavy handed and layer the conflict thicker than an Alaskan blizzard in the fantasy novel that made a smashing TV debut earlier this year.

Game of Thrones is the first book in the Song of Fire and Ice series by best selling author George R. R. Martin.  It's simplistic in its title, very easy to remember, and after one read...very hard to forget.

Reading this book took me down Tolkien Lane...reminded me of why I fell in love with fantasy stories, stories of glory, tribulation, overcoming and tragic falls.

The writers who brought this story to the screen must have had a nice conversation with Martin.  Or he put the smackdown on them and made sure they didn't get too wild and crazy.  They did what Hollywood is good for, made some adaptations, however they stayed so close to the actual dialogue and sequence that it was almost too amazing.  Here's a trailer for entertainment, if you've yet to watch an episode via Netflix or HBOGo.


And I love, love, love the music for the opening credits.

"The next season is coming."  Gotcha!  I don't think that's anyone's motto, but it's certainly a good idea to be on the look out.  When the next season does get here, I hope to have the next book done and be ready to watch the drama unfold, HBO style.

Did you get to watch it when the season first showed?  Though I enjoyed it, perhaps you saw something different.  Whatever your thoughts, please share in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. I need to add this author to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie, if you love true high fantasy with kngights, wars, twists and plot so thick you can barely cut it with a knife, then this should definitely go on your TBR list. However, I must add there's some adult content and the show also has some stuff that should not be seen by youthful eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think this show has made it down to NZ yet. We get a lot of the HBO shows on our free to view TV. It sounds interesting, so I'll look for it. It's not often the TV folk keep so closely to the books. That's very unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly Shelley! It was so cool to hear a character say things word for word how it was said in the novel. Or to see a scene play out so closely to how you imagine it. I hope you get to see it soon. I can't wait for the next season. Hopefully they'll continue close to the novel again.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.