Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Books Ahoy


It's Wednesday and I want to start something positive.  So each week, I want to highlight a book that is published.  I'll mention books from the Big 6 but also touch on some indie writers as well.

Indie writers are all over the place.  Many veterans braved the headwinds and turmoil of being considered outcasts or whatever negative connotation one can think of.  More and more, due to the popularity of e-readers and the e-books that can be purchased on them, indie writers are finding more avenues available to them for publishing.  And the readers...well, we like what we like.

My favorite indie read this summer has been Maria Zannini's The Devil to Pay.  It's a paranormal romance worth more than it's price.  She did a wonderful job with character development.  I felt for poor Shannon from the first page.  After all, we all have some bad days.  But boy did she do a number on herself.  Maria also made economic use of her words, ensuring every word had purpose.  Imagery?  Of course.  I saw everything vividly in my mind.  Definitely a prime pick.

There's a Smashwords story that caught my eye, Shelter (Blood Haze: Book One) by Tara Shuler.  It's a YA paranormal romance.  Here's the extended description:

Two guys, one vampire girl, and two dark secrets that threaten to tear her world apart.

Alice Wright is a young vampire going to high school for the first time at the age of seventeen at the behest of her eccentric mother. In many ways, she's more afraid of the human students than they would be of her.

She feels lost and awkward in human society, but she soon develops a strong bond with the cousin of one of her human classmates, nineteen year old Kai. He is beautiful, but somewhat of an enigma. She discovers a dark secret in Kai's life, and she instantly wants to shelter him from the pain that has tormented him all his life.

Then she meets Maksim Augustine, the incredibly gorgeous guy who seems more like he should be a model than a high school student. She is overwhelmingly attracted to him physically, but her love for Kai causes her to continually push him away. Eventually, she discovers a frightening secret about Max, too.

But Max's secret threatens to destroy everything...

Sounds like a neat little book to take a bite out of.  Several reviews can help you decide if you'd like to make a move on this one.

The last book I want to mention is actually out of my norm.  But the book trailer was so action packed I had to call some attention to it.  This is Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith.  This book goes along more of the graphic horror stream.  The head hanging from Lincoln's hand on the back of the book is an indicator of something bloody going on.  Here, check this out.


So, do you see an author here that you've read?  Perhaps a story/book you've read?  If so, please share.  If you happen to have an author of interest that you'd like to see highlighted, let me know and I'd love to get their work here for others to notice as well.

6 comments:

  1. That was so sweet. Thank you, Angela.

    Ref: trailer
    Boy, these big publishers are really pouring some money into these trailers lately. It's very cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maria, just telliing the truth. It really is a great novella and I can't wait for the next installment.

    And that trailer, I was bugged eyed the whole time. You can smell the money that was poured into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun feature :) I've read Maria's of course (completely agree with you) and am reading her Apocalypse Raising now (I needed to re-read the first one).

    Joely Sue Burkhart is a go-to author for me...she has a new release, Golden, coming out on the 29th which is awesome.

    I can't believe the money thrown into some of the book trailers I've see...not a huge fan of horror so don't know that I'll pick this one up. My favorite book trailers have actually be fan made (usually for a contest the author is holding). Some of the ones for Karen Marie Moning's Fever contest were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Raelyn. Sounds like I have a couple of authors to do some digging into.

    That's acutally a good idea to have fans create a book trailer, gives you a chance to see how the readers see your work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read two of Maria's, and look forward to reading The Devil to Pay. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
    Wish I had the resources to create crazy good book videos. I have fun creating them, but some turn out better than others (sometimes by mistake, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I don't think book trailers have to be as out there as the one for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer. A good book trailer can be simple and to the point. As long as it engages the target audience, I suppose that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.