Thursday, August 4, 2011

Movie Mayhem

After cruising for a great movie awakening, I sort of nodded off.  This week's openings, sad to say, aren't the box office boon sort of movies.  Or perhaps a review of some of the openings will give you a different idea.

First up, the evolution chain turns on itself in this science-fiction thriller where apes take over the world.  Rise of the Planet of the Apes is the prequel to cult favorite Planet of the Apes - original 1968 and done again 2001.  I'm sure this movie has all the trappings.  I mean, we're talking mayhem of revolution here.  Sounds like the epic struggle of mankind trying to survive and maintain its place in the world.  Only one tiny little issue.  If you've seen Planet of the Apes, then you know the ending of Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
We lose.
You may say, "Well, pish posh.  That's the situation with nearly any prequel."  On that, I agree wholeheartedly.  Just this instance, it's so blatant.  So if you're in the mood to knowingly watch the fall of mankind, then gear up for a wild ride.

 Next up...The Change Up.  In short, it's a married man's dream and a single guy's nightmare.  Perhaps when the tables get turned, they do like any other movie with a switcharoo theme, they gain an appreciation for the other person's obstacles and beauty in life.  At least Jason Bateman adds a classic touch and Ryan Reynolds adds a 'hotness' factor to this comedy.
On to one more movie...
There are a few movies coming out in limited release, however I want to highlight this next one because of the content.
The Whistleblower stars Daniel Craig's new wife, Rachel Weisz.  Though this political thriller stars an award winning actress, I haven't heard much about it.  Quite possible this one could be a sleeper.  Here's the description of the movie:

Inspired by actual events, Kathy is an American police officer who takes a job working as a peacekeeper in post-war Bosnia. Her expectations of helping to rebuild a devastated country are dashed when she uncovers a dangerous reality of corruption, cover-up and intrigue amid a world of private contractors and multinational diplomatic doubletalk

Might sound familiar. 
Speaking of movies that remind you of other movies, feel free to share what other movie comes to mind with any of these weekend openers.  Might make a few folks open the DVD vault for a sit down to some great movies.

5 comments:

  1. I'm kind of hoping Rise of the Planet of the Apes will show only the uprising and not the eventual takeover because in reality, something like this might take decades. A small group of primates can't overwhelm nearly seven billion humans overnight.

    But we'll see. I haven't been too thrilled with this year's fare. I want to see the last Harry Potter film, but I think we'll buy that one and keep it in the dvd vault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The majority of my movie watching is on DVD. Getting out without the wee beasties is hard or expensive if they come with. But I'm with Maria in that I haven't been thrilled with the selection this year.

    Of the ones you mention the Whistleblower is the only one that interests me. I'm out of the loop enough that I'm not even sure what's opening this weekend, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! You're right Maria. Though I wouldn't put it past the leader, Caesar (I believe that is the monkey's name) to remind all the primates about any and all animal cruelty humans have done. Every gorilla in the mist may want to get in on the action. Heck, lemurs may join too. :-)
    If I catch the movie, it'll be because I love the science fiction aspect of it. Gosh, I'm such a geek (lol!!!)

    Raelyn - That's why I wanted to point The Whistleblower out. It seemed to offer something intriguing, something to really sink your teeth into. If nothing else, I'll be on the look out for the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rise...planet of the apes NOW- will introduce "Avatar" tech.....an actor will have DOTS on his face and a special Cam will film all of his expressions- from script.....then its rotoscopted to a CGI ape. So, the CGI apes ARE actors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now see, that is very interesting. I saw how the use of that technology enhanced the movements of the Avatar characters on screen, making them look so natural.

    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.