Thursday, August 25, 2011

Movie Mayhem

It's Thursday, Thursday, Thursday!  Time to put on your thinking cap and brainstorm.  What are you going to do this weekend?  You could spend a lot of time beneath the sun hoping the SPF 200 sunscreen keeps you from microwaving into a crisp side of yummy good time for Hannibal.  Or, you can dial down the sunburn with a little time at the movie theater.  Here's a rundown of a few of the new releases coming out Friday.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
Mood:  Violence and horror
Brief synopsis:  A young girl inadvertently unleashes a race of ancient monsters while exploring her father's 19th century mansion.

This reminds me of the little kid who was just too curious for their own good.  Except in this case curiosity leads to the opening of something akin to Pandora's box, letting the monsters loose.

I don't see this one going on my list for me and the little one to visit.  Not just because it would scare her...but it may give her some mischievous ideas :-).  Besides, it would scare the heebee geebies out of me and we can NOT have that.
 


Moving quick, fast and in a hurry from the scary stuff, we get more violence, vengeance style.
Colombiana
Mood:  Hell hath no fury like an assassin on a rampage
Brief synopsis: A woman becomes a professional killer in order to seek revenge against the ruthless gangster who murdered her parents.

Girl sees parents murdered but girl remains alive.  Girl becomes an assassin as part of her plan to extract revenge for the murder of her parents while she was a child.  I happened to see this movie trailer while at Game Stop doing some shopping for the little one and I must admit, it caught my attention.


This last movie is one I'm sort of on the fence about.
Our Idiot Brother
Mood: Comedy with a side of "Peace Man"
Brief synopsis:  Scruffy idealist Ned (Paul Rudd) wreaks havoc on the lives of his mother (Shirley Knight) and three sisters, Miranda (Elizabeth Banks), Natalie (Zooey Deschanel), and Liz (Emily Mortimer), while overstaying his welcome in each of their homes and voicing his opinions when they aren't wanted.

It seems like a feel good movie that may take a bit of time wading through the main character's unimaginably naive mistakes to get to the feel good moment.  If anyone checks out this or any of this weekend's new releases, feel free to share your thoughts.

10 comments:

  1. I love Zoe Saldana but I'm not much for shoot em up movies. I might save this for a rental.

    How old is you little one now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe Saldana is a great actress. Her use of facial expressions to communicate feelings and thoughts was really emphasized in her voiceover and green screen work on Avatar.

    The rambunctious chipmunk just turned 7. Heaven help me. She wants to do everything herself. By the time she turns 10, she'll probably try to drive herself to school lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! has it been that long since we've seen each other?

    Ref: She wants to do everything herself.

    Hmm...I wonder where she got that from. :grin:

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been a while, but so wonderful to keep in touch, especially with you putting out these great reads.

    And...by the way...I haven't the foggiest idea where she got that independent streak from *ducking head hoping no one notices the blazing blush on my face*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so out of the loop, LOL, I had no idea on any of these. My weekend will be all about the last minute stuff...school starts Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raelyn, that's why I enjoy doing Movie Mayhem on Thursdays. Gives folks a chance to see what's being released.

    And interesting, school started for my chipmunk this Monday, the 22nd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate the visit, Latha. Know that you're always welcome to come by, visit, comment and share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of any of these. The second one sounds like something I'd like. The horror one not so much! I'm a fraidy cat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colombiana is the main one that caught my attention. I'm with you, Shelley, about the horror movie. Wouldn't be able to sleep a wink, shifting reslessly at every sound made around me.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.