Monday, August 1, 2011

Work Worthwhile

In a far-flung fantasy world, I could sit down to a computer, type out an 80,000 word count novel in a day - genre non-specific - and it will be a best seller with no effort at all before the end of the week.

This is where fantasy is great and I wish it could be the norm.  Except...truth is, reality is the norm.

In reality, effort is required.  There isn't an author, dead or alive, who hasn't had to put forth some amount of effort to come up with the concept of a story, organize and plot then put the tale to paper.  Or, simply fly by the seat of their pants and hope it reaches a decent ending.  After all this, there's still some re-writing, some gnashing of the teeth then some more re-writing.
In the end, the author has a story they can be proud of.

A wonderful tale a reader can enjoy.

A legacy that can last.

I want to encourage any writer who has a moment where the effort seems a bit much, remember, it is worthwhile.  Know that whatever the result, the effort has meaning.  And there will be readers who'll be very happy.

So please feel free to share, what do you feel is worth the work?

4 comments:

  1. It's worth it when you get a fan letter from someone you've never met.

    You never get over those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Maria - You know, I don't think there's a way to quantify the worth of something that endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd like to come to visit your fantasy world :)
    With every book I struggle and wonder how I can even finish or sell this *POS*

    Maria had the perfect answer. Reader compliments are gold. Actually receiving and signing the contract always gives me a buzz too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelly - I'm still in the beginning stages with this story I want to either self-pub or submit to a house.

    I can only imagine the thrill of signing a contract *giggles*

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.