Friday, August 26, 2011

Writer's Rights

So on Wednesday, Konrath blogged about the John Locke deal with Simon and Schuster.  Here's a snippet:

If you follow publishing, you know the first self-pubbed author to sell 1 million ebooks, John Locke, just signed a print deal with Simon & Schuster. But it's a unique one. Locke keeps all of his erights.

You can read the rest of the blog here.

Now, I'm a bit curious.  Is there some standard contact that has to be signed and is non-negotiable if you are an author and get picked up by a traditional publishing house?  I'm hoping John Locke isn't the first to have his agent broker this sort of deal.

This also makes me think about my rights as an author.  Apparently, my story is copyrighted as intellectual property without me having to do the old 'seal-it-and-mail-it-to-myself gig'.  I have domestic print rights, international print rights, e-rights.  Is there such a thing as international e-rights or am I getting a bit carried away?  I know I have the right to remain silent...wait...wrong situation.  What are all these rights and what's a new author to do about navigating these waters?  What's an indie author to do if a company in Spain wanted to translate their popular e-book?  Would this be a situation where having an agent is much better, unless you are both an author and an attorney?
I know, a little early in the game for me since I'm still working on my drafts and rewrites, but it certainly made me think.

2 comments:

  1. In the case of international interest, I would probably approach an agent I trusted who specialized in international contracts or a lawyer. That's out of my comfort level so I would definitely hire a professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the smart way to go Maria. There's just so much out there when it comes to these things.

    Mind boggling.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.