Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chicks, Cancer, Crazy and Courage

Okay, so it's that time to figure out something to do for the weekend.  Hang out with your friends (at the movies).  Hang out with your family (at the movies).  Hang out with your girlfriend or boyfriend (at the movies).  Oh heeeey, maybe you can check out a new movie this weekend.

There are a few choices such as What's Your Number, a movie inspired by the chick lit 20 Times a Lady.  It's a comedy about a woman on the quest to revisit her past lovers and discover which of them was the "one who got away".
You could take your comedy with cancer.  That's pretty much what the writer of 50/50 did.  It depicts the humorous yet "heartfelt" way this young man, his friends, and family dealt with something that has a tendency to pull out the melodramatic in many of us.  And the writer should know since he based it on his true life experience.

If comedy doesn't suit your mood, you could always fill your mind with something suspenseful, like Dream House.  Don't let the title fool you.  This is one of those things where you learn that if something is too good to be true, it probably comes with dire consequences, like discovering you live in a home where people were brutally murdered....or do you???
As a personal note, this one screams "scary" to me and me and scary are not good friends so I'll leave this movie to braver souls.

But inspiration may be your desired course of action.  That's where Courageous comes into play.  Four cops, faith in God and the trials they endure in work and with their family.  This one seems like it may have a more family-friendly tone to it.
As a personal note, the movie trailer touched my heart but that was not a sniffle and a tear.  That was a - erm - uh - an allergy.  Yeah, allergy.
Anything of interest?  Anything catch your eye?  Do you think you could be as brave as the writer of 50/50 and take your most painful tragedy and give it a humorous spin so you can share it with the world?

19 comments:

  1. I would really love to see 50/50. I really like Joseph Gordon-Levitt. :)

    And Dream House looks really good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you'll be having more fun to me. I have to take my daughter to a 4 hour swim meet and then dinner for the HomeComing and the dance. Then I've got to try to get something around the house done. I'll have to live through your fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to watch them all, especially 50/50 and Dream House.

    I don't know if I could pull off something like 50/50. Maybe if it was about something that happened a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or you could go see Tucker & Dale vs Evil! Watched it on HDNet last night. It was fun and a really good story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Tracey - I really liked him in Inception.

    @ Natalie - You sound like you are going to be very, very busy this weekend. But also doing wonderful things with your family. I think I'll live vicariously through your support-filled weekend.

    @ Medeia - I wonder about that myself. When I saw the writer introduced in the trailer, I couldn't help thinking, "for such a frail dear you've got a lot of heart, man!"

    @ Alex - I'll have to check out this movie. I wonder if it's anything like Scott Pilgrim? I doubted I could like that movie until I saw it and was glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I am so watching What's Your Number! The previous are hilarious - just what I need now
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Without a TV, I have no idea what's out there in the movies, so thanks for the update! 50/50 looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Angela - Sometimes you just need a chance to sit and have some dramedy. This movie sounds like it will be a winner for some humor and a little introspection, especially for someone like me who is a single gal.

    @ Jenna - I am glad to provide some helpful info :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so out of it I have never heard of most of these movies. So my reply is, I want to see all of them! In fact, I think I may let my hubby pick one for our next date night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Randomness- are you on "The Twitter"? If so and we aren't friends- come find me :) @coranne I want to get a chance to talk to you (not through blog comments lol)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll probably be seeing both Dream house and 50/50. Now I've fallen for Courageous too.

    BTW, I just gave you the versatile blogger award in my latest post. Check it out and please pass it on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Coranne - lol!!! @ myself because I've been sort of shy about "The Twitter". It took a few nudges to get on Blogger. But because of that, I'm working getting a Twitter account. I'll DEFINITELY look for you.

    @ Myne - Thank you for the award and both 50/50 and Courageous appear to be great movies to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ E.R. - you can just pull up this blog, point at the screen and tell him to "pick them all" for date night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really need to see Courageous. Or something good. Alas, there's home projects to work on and little time for movies. I'll be sure to add this one to my cue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you get a chance to catch one of these great movies. I'm leaning toward What's Your Number for some comedy and Courageous for some inspiration...but 50/50 has Joseph Gordon-Levitt and I kind of think he's cool :-)

    What to do, what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  16. 50/50 definitely caught my eye. I love dark humor. Though I haven't been to an actual movie theater in years. Hubby doesn't like them, so we wait for the DVD release.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, this is a good way of knowing what movies are coming out and to keep an eye on for when the DVD comes out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rats. Now I'm bummed there will be no time in my weekend for catching a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww...maybe no time this weekend but next weekend may offer another movie chance :-)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.