Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"If"...Such a Small Word with Big Possibilities

Gatorade has one: "Is it in you?"  Nike tells us all to put on a pair of their sneaks and "Just Do It."  Today's Book it to Hollywood show had a catch phrase of it's own: "What did you see?"

FLASH FORWARD was written by Robert J. Sawyer and published in 2000.  Flash Forward the series, loosely based on Sawyer's novel, was a TV show I followed almost faithfully during 2009-2010.  I was sad to see it end.  For those who never saw it, here's the premise:

What would you do if you were given a glimpse of the future? Would you accept what you saw and live life to its fullest, or would you do everything in your power to change your destiny? When the world's population is given a glimpse of their future, it forces everyone to come to grips with whether their destinies can be fulfilled or avoided.


It places that jumbo shrimp of a word in front of us all and dangles it like a jackpot winning lottery ticket before a throng of struggling citizens:  "If..."

Check this out.  This trailer brought back memories of stuffing my face with popcorn and wondering, "What's going to happen to my John Cho???"


And speaking of "If"s, here's one for you to try in the comments:

If I hadn't [insert phrase here], I wouldn't be [insert phrase here].

This is my "If" statement - If I hadn't met and married my now ex-husband, I wouldn't be happily blessed with my rambunctious chipmunk, whom I love dearly.

So what's your "If"?

9 comments:

  1. Great post. I like your if statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Flash Forward too :)

    I love your "if" statement. Let's see...

    If I hadn't taken yet another chance on a blind date, I wouldn't be the wife and mother I always dream to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter loved Flash Forward.
    If I hadn't had the nerve to have kids on my own, sadly it would appear that I wouldn't have had children at all.
    Thanks for stopping by and giving an opinion on the book cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raelyn and Bridet - I loved your "If" statements as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting premise. And great question. I love your answer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed watching it, Cate... though I admit my intentions were occasionally less for the sci-fi fun and more for John Cho.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched Flash Forward too!!

    Let's see...

    If I hadn't taken a chance I might could write a book, I wouldn't have met all the great writer friends I have now!!

    Yay!

    Mandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with and love your "If" statement, Mandy.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.