Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Indie Author Spotlight at the Corner of Dystopian and Mythology

At first, it was a whisper.

solstice

I heard it after I joined the Writer's Platform-Building Campaign and came across an author and blogger named PJ Hoover.  Check out her blog.  I love her posts but this book, her book, I felt drawn to it:

Piper's world is dying. Global warming is slowly killing every living thing on Earth. She endures the endless summer and her suffocating mother, and does what she can to help, using her incredible green thumb. Until one day...

She opens a mysterious box, and everything changes.

Piper discovers a world of mythology parallel to her own. A world where gods battle for control, and monsters feed in the rivers of the Underworld. This dark world pulls her in and tells her she belongs.

She meets Shayne, who keeps secrets from her. And Reese, who makes her feel alive. But she almost loses her best friend and her life. She doesn't want to leave this new world. But can she choose the life she wants, without sacrificing the people she loves?



Then she gave an interview that made me really appreciate her path to publication.  The breathtaking book cover doesn't hurt.
Click to order e-books from Amazon, B&N.com or Smashwords or paperback

Now, it is no longer a whisper.  It is proclaiming , "Read me, Angela!"

SOLSTICE

Yeah, this book is already on my to-read list and is creeping up the Need-to-Read-Now list.  Maybe it's the fact that it's set in Austin, TX and we're suffering scorching heat and wildfires as we speak...maybe PJ is on to something...*cue eerie, creepy music*

Whatever the draw, she's definitely an Indie author with great ratings and reviews and a book with fantastic promise.  You can also find SOLSTICE on Facebook.  I also enjoyed her book trailer.



What about you?  Feeling a bit dystopian or maybe a step into the world of mythology?

25 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love this post! Thank you so much, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I'm reading Solstice right now! Also: I love PJ, she rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure PJ. Now that I've got the Kindle edition of this story, I look forward to snuggling into the corner of the couch and reading to my heart's content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, Matt. I got SOLSTICE last night. I'm so excited about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant - I love dystopian and I love mythology, so combining the two might be just the perfect book! I'll definitely check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this sounds fascinating! I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Sangu and Raelyn - I couldn't resist. I got a hold of it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm familiar with P.J. Hoover's blog. My son read The Emerald Tablet and said I should read it too! I'm adding it to my Goodreads list of books to read together with Solstice! Thank you for your recommendation, Angela :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. From one Angela to another, *curtseying* it's my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angela, thank you so much for playing my Writer's Game. I love where you lead this story!
    http://cheeriosandpearlsstories.blogspot.com/2011/09/writers-gamewednesday-story-time_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I came up with that off the cuff. The beginning you used touched me and I just couldn't help myself :-)

    Thank you so much for doing this game.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that sounds good. I'm going to add it to my life of must-reads. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! E.R., that list of must reads is growing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sigh. i can't get past the title. it's the same as my first manuscript's. the one i just slippped into a drawer. solstice. that word. i guess i'll never feel the same about it as i did prewriting! :0) christy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, now...let that story marinate for a bit. Then pull it back out the drawer. You could breathe new life into it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds really cool! Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this book on my Kindle! I can't wait to read it. And PJ rocks whatever she does. She's amazing!

    ali's blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. Giles and ali, I'm really looking forward to it. And yes, PJ does rock!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Boy, does that blurb sound like Texas.

    Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL! Same thing I thought, Maria. Very eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I see another title creeping on to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been hearing a lot about this book. I should check it out. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on Patti's post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ LD - yes, this one is a very good one.

    @ Lisa - I enjoyed that post and Patti's snippet. Still in awe at the volume she's able to crank out each year. And she makes an earnest effort to ensure quality is not bucked for quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love P.J. too. Thanks for linking to my interview.

    Is there a way I can follow you not through e-mail? I didn't see a follow button. If you have time, e-mail me instructions. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad to have you visit. I'll e-mail you lickety-split

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.