Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

"Who is the fairest of them all?"  Translation: You BETTER tell me I'M the fairest of them all!!

Most have heard the fairy tale.  The wicked queen, most beautiful and conceited fair, required her regular dose of ego boosting from a magical mirror.  The mirror gave the name Snow White as the answer one day, unbeknownst to the innocent little thing.  A note here:  If I were Snow White, I'd hunt down the darn mirror and break it for all its worth, seven years bad luck be darned after planting a target on my back like that.  Of course, in fairy tales, everything works out happily ever after.  Right?

But what about having the story told from the wicked queen's POV?  Laura Biggs and Sarah Steinbrenner team up to do just that in FIRST BITE: THE WICKED QUEEN'S TALE.

Available at Smashwords and Amazon 

I've noticed a trend of remakes of some of the old classics, like PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES taking on the brain eating walking dead.  A note here: Me and zombies don't get along on account of my preference to keep my brain parts just where they are in my head.

FIRST BITE is taking a bite of Snow White.  Here is it's short description:
The first volume in The Dark Woods Trilogy explores the sinister origins of one of the fairytale world’s most frightening villains–The Wicked Queen. Her quest for unmatched power and beauty seems unstoppable – unless the destiny of an innocent girl is something more than meets the eye.




I decided to give this one a try because it would be interesting to see what happens when the tables are turned and I'm faced with seeing this tale through the eyes of the queen.  What of you?  Have you noticed any remakes of interest?

14 comments:

  1. I like remakes, especially when they have a juicy twist.

    This sounds interesting, but the trailer actually made me reconsider. The dark music hooked me, but I didn't get any sense of how the story was going to be different. I'll wait for you to read it and let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks interesting. I like remakes as well, but the only one I'm really aware of is Beastly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, this sounds fabulous! I love a new take on an old story. Putting this one on my TBR radar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds interesting!Great to discover your blog too. I am a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one that pops to mind is the Broadway smash hit Wicked - the other side of the Wizard of Oz. Can be very interesting to see a well known story from the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Isis - I grabbed the Kindle edition of this for 99 cents so I look forward to the read. I'll definitely share my thoughts on it here :-)

    @ Tracey - I didn't know of the novel until the movie came out. I'm trying to decide should I watch the movie first or read the book. Hmm...

    @ Gina - You know, I've been wondering if there is a Cinderella story told from the view of one of the terrible step-sisters. Maybe one of them wasn't so terrible at all???

    @ Murugi - Glad to have you here. Thanks so much.

    @ LD - I agree. Like the truth, fairy tales have three sides: his, hers and what really happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds intriguing. The first story that comes to mind was Beastly. It's a modern day Beauty and the Beast story told from the beasts POV. I read the book, I haven't seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beastly seems like the more popular remake. I'm thinking the book may be the better first step...then maybe the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminds me of Gregory Maguire's books. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds very cool! Thanks for telling me about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ E.R. King - Sounds like I've got some research to do. Hmm...

    @ Giles - Cool beans :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, coolness! I hadn't heard of this story, but I bet I would like it! I'm certainly intrigued ... Thanks Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to admit, remakes (even when they have twists) have to be extraordinary for me to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ ali - Thanks so much for coming by.

    @ Maria - I've never read anything by these two authors so I'm not sure how good it will be. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be an enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.