Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Speak


First, I want to thank Cynthia Lee, YA Writer for recognizing my blog with the ever wonderful Liebster award and Jenna Cooper at Finding the Write Way for the One to Follow award.  Please visit their posts for some wonderful recommendations for blogs to check out.

Normally, I would do my pay it forward, however, I want to use this courage to discuss a book I've sort of put off because, honestly, I wasn't sure if I could really handle talking about it.  It's a book that could make its way onto the Banned Book list.  And a part of me can't say I'd blame the list makers for adding it.

Here's the book:
Find the e-book at Amazon
Speak, by Laurie Anderson.  Real easy title, very potent subject matter.  It deals with a young girl harassed at school and unable to open her mouth to truly express herself after getting a few people in trouble.  It's nothing she intended, nothing she asked for and something she learns to deal with through the course of the book. She's in a tough situation since this is all brought on by the trauma she experiences at the hands of her rapist, who also happens to attend her school.

I haven't read the book but just reading about it brought back a painful memory from my teenage years, one of those things that sits at the fringes, delighting me with taunts that it will leave - which I wish it would - then thrusting it's way back when something like this comes along.  Thankfully, the years have been kind and some raw emotions are massaged into ease of handling with age and maturity.

Oddly enough, that tiny part of me that can agree with this being on the Banned Book list contradicts itself by agreeing with all the rest of me when I think on how much I would have wanted a book like this when I was fourteen.  From the little I've read, this character endured sooo much more than I did.  I don't know how well I would have handled being ostracized by everyone.  The violation that comes with that event is beyond enough to have to deal with.  From reviews I've read, the author did a great job of gripping the reader and making it a really good read.  I've added it to my TBR list and look forward to reading it myself.

Speaking of Banned Books, are there any books on the list that you just look at and wonder "Really?"  If so, please share in the comments.

7 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot about this book lately. It sounds thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a provocative book. It's a subject that needs to be dealt with, which is why it would probably end up on the Banned Book list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Angie and Giles - oddly enough, this is the best kind of publicity, the kind you can't pay for and has people talking. Kids will want the book because they're NOT supposed to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Banned books are difficult, I know first hand. Jay Asher's 13 Reasons Why prompted my friend to do what she'd been wanting to do for years and try to commit suicide. On the other hand, it gave me warning signs, and I was able to help her before it got out of control. It affected me, but never lied to me. And in a world where truth seems so hard to find, that's valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ((hugs)) I'm with you .... while I don't enjoy dredging through the muck, some lessons are easier learned via books than in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine that kind of horror.
    I've seen several lists of banned books this week and many of them I wonder why.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Bethany - I applaud you. You did what such books are best for: learning. Some people are influenced in different ways and by reading you learned how to help someone you care for.

    @ ali - I couldn't agree with you more. And thanks for the hugs, feeling warm and fuzzy *smiles*

    @ Alex - my own experience was sooo incredibly mild compared to some of the stories I've heard, which is why I have a special level of pissivity towards girls who "cry wolf". As for the Banned Books list, I get the intention, but even the road to hell is paved with good intentions, or so some sages say.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.