Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Mermaid Moments - Birth of a Novel Blog Chain

Isn't this just too cute?
This is where I thought I'd be, sitting pretty, ears perky and an adorable smile on my face as a winner of NaNoWriMo 2011.

So here's how things actually turned out:
There is a smile in there somewhere :-)
Not perky, not adorable and yeah, flopped on the ground with gravity doing all kinds of fun stuff.  But if you look just long enough, you'll notice the look of happy-joy-joy-contentment.

It came down to two choices, winning is everything:
Win!!
Or
being a happy loser:
No frowning for the loser.
I chose being a happy loser.  I am, more than 25k words away from the NaNo goal of 50K.

Why?

Mermaid moments.  I got distracted by shiny things.

I received edits for another story and let them marinate in my mind (I'm so excited about these edits I could dance a jig but then I'd have to kill any witnesses lol!!!).  I got into the holiday spirit and even into some football spirit as I watched my fantasy football roster work their magic on Thanksgiving day (go team Super Foo!).  I ate lots of turkey and enjoyed good company in more excess than is normal for me (YAY for the brief social butterfly!).

I did not reach the word count goal, but I've enjoyed the beauty that goes along with the process of birthing a novel.  I flirted with my characters, got to know them pretty well, at least enough to trust them to tell their story through me.  I've met Macie, Thane, Rig and discovered a post-apocalyptic world filled with vampires, wights and devil spawn

I.  Had.  Fun.  A bit of insanity during the early days but fun nonetheless.

I've accepted  my defeat...learned from it as well.  What is your progress?

By the way, be sure to stop by these wonderful blogs to share in encouragement-


Anna M.
Brooke Busse
Charity Bradford
Elizabeth Davis
Elizabeth Poole
Fida Islaih
Huntress
Jen McConnel
Lena Hoppe
Mia Hayson
Miranda Hardy
Nyxie Moon
Tessa C
Zoe

26 comments:

  1. You have a good attitude toward it all. And it sounds like you balanced it with other things you needed or wanted to do. Congrats on what you accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that's still 25,000 words more than you had!
    Last night's game meant my fantasy team crushed my opponent by over fifty points. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I always thought there was something wrong with NaNo if the only goal was to bang out 50k in 30 days. I thought it was about celebrating the joy of writing.

    And it sounds like you experienced that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about anyone else, but you did fantastic.

    Think about it. Over 25K in LESS than 30 days, plus you got to do real life things that you enjoyed.

    That's a pretty good exchange rate.

    PS That second dog looks drunk---not that there's anything wrong with that. ;-) He looks happy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Another happy loser. I'm right with you, and you know what? Our writing will be better because we stopped to live life along the way. You've got a great start.

    Feel free to stick with the blog chain if you want. I'm going to keep posting until I finish the first draft that I have started.

    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your positive attitude and it sounds like you have a great start to your story PLUS edits you can work on for another novel. That's wonderful!

    And we all need to be a bit of a social butterfly one in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a whole lot more words than I've dished out this last month, so consider yourself awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you still got a lot done, so congratulations! November kicked my butt, as far as life goes, so NaNo kind of faded to the background. But I can be a happy loser too. Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pics! You did your best and you feel good about it. That's all that matters. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hit exactly what you hit--25K. I will be a happy loser with you :) I feel like I accomplished a lot and learned about my writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheers to you for being a happy loser!! I love the look of contentment on that second doggies face. That is the best in my opinion:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome. Edits distract me, too. ;) Good luck with all your WIPs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a cool story, Angela! I didn't make 50k either, but I absolutely don't view it as losing. I have 35k to build on, then revise revise revise, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 25,000 words in a month is still a feat! If you're happy with your goals then there is no need to excuse them. Great job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, 25k is nothing to sneeze about. Life is way too short to knock yourself out about things like this, and I love your attitude. You're a winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 25k is a great achievement! I wish I could say the same :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think edits would trump NaNo any day. You did really well and your story sounds interesting and you have a wonderful attitude. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I admire everyone who even attempts NaNO! So you are Awesomeness, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is why I absolutely adore the blogosphere. All of you rock with so much awesomeness I could just explode with joy from all of your encouraging words. Thank you to everyone!

    HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm at 48,000 but probably won't finish the last 2K in time. Oh well, I tried. 25k is awesome. What does it matter if it takes you two months instead of one to finish 50,000 words.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think having fun is the MOST important thing about Nano. Anyone who has fun is a winner in my books.

    Plus, as has been said, 25k is still an acheivement. AND you had edits. I am impressed :) I write about 0 words whenever I get edits. I drop EVERYTHING.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Getting that novel-love is what Nano is all about, not winning. The important thing is now you have something to work with. You have a huge platform from which to keep moving forward and plenty of ideas to keep you going. That is much better than someone who got to 50K and found that he/she had zilch. I'm proud of you. I say celebrate, but then, I love cake.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 25,000 words is a great accomplishment. Shiny things are distracting. I think anyone who gets any significant word count done is a winner. I'll applaud you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great attitude. 25K is awesome, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

    And thanks for the good wishes over at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Like everyone has already said, 25k words is something to be proud of! And it's all about what you've gained from the experience anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Angela you are a winner through and through! You make time to enjoy good company, you are following your passions, and you make time to pay it forward by sharing encouragement. Plus the dog photos are great!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.