Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Persist or Not - A Birth of a Novel Blog Chain Tale

(Photo credit)

That would be me doing my best not to let the beak of life and NaNoWriMo swallow me whole.
It's a struggle, but I'm still persisting.

Title for NaNo project: NO COUNTRY FOR FAE FOLK
Previous goal: 30k
Actual accomplished: 21k
Yeah, big deficit.  As a consolation, the time I missed writing has been time well spent so I'm glad to persist with this challenge.
Next goal, one more realistically including the day of gobble, gobble and giving thanks for the way too many things I take for granted:  27k by Friday evening.

Here is another snippet.  This is taken from an earlier chapter in the book when the main character, Macie, has just gotten in trouble.  She broke the rules by being outside beyond sunset.  She's now in her room.  As with the other snippet, the Inner Critic hasn't tried to fix anything, at least...kind of hard to do that tied up and gagged in some far flung place in my mind.


The tears warming the back of my eyes suddenly bubbled over.
All around me was darkness.  My window was blacked out as usual.  All doors were well sealed so any hall light stayed in the hall.  An ache formed in the deepest part of me.  I felt like everything was closing in around me, the room too small to be in.  I wanted to be outside, under the moon and stars I’d seen for the first time.  Not as holopics in school, but the real thing.
I wanted to be with Thane.

There you have it.  So please visit, congratulate on progress made and encourage other members of the blog chain.  I'm wishing the best of luck to each and every one of you all!!

Birth of a Novel Blog Chain crew:
Angela B.
Anna M.
Brooke Busse
Charity Bradford
Elizabeth Davis
Elizabeth Poole
Fida Islaih
Huntress
Jen McConnel
Lena Hoppe
Mia Hayson
Miranda Hardy
Nyxie Moon
Tessa C
Zoe

21 comments:

  1. You're progressing well. Good luck this week. Love the picture and snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about being in isolation. Macie is in big doo-doo.

    Even if you didn't reach 50k, you seem to have a solid novel bubbling. Like you said, your time off was well spent, and that's a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you on persisting to keep writing the story, although probably not "winning" Nano.

    The sneak peak was great. I kept thinking about how oppressive the dark can be sometimes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've still written a lot on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I have a question about your blog. Please email me!
    Thanks,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, this photo is hilarious!

    It is a really good progress. Don't be too hard on yourself. You have an impressive goal of 30k and you are getitng close to achieving it. I'm thinking you are working very hard and are not giving yourself enough credit :-)

    I'm not familiar with the blog chain but I love the snippet!

    Have a fantastic Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great photo!

    I love the strong emotions in your excerpt. I'm stopping by to cheer you on. I think you are making great progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great picture and snippet! And don't feel too bad - 21K is a LOT, even if it's not quite as much as you hoped. And even with Thanksgiving, you've still got a few more days. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is some great progress! You can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angela, those are words that you might not have written if not for NANO. Congrats - you still have time to add a little more before the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great snippet.

    I'm with everyone else. You've written 21k, and that's fantastic. I think the spirit of Nano is throwing caution to the wind and giving it your best. And whether you write 5 words or 5 hundred thousand it makes no difference. The point is that you've written something. You've started something. And that's awesome.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome, Angela! Keep writing away. Your word count is nothing to sniff at!

    Have a happy Thanksgiving with your little chipmunk, too! I'm already swallowing hard over the pumpkin pie I know I'll be having with a steaming cup of coffee tomorrow evening. Whew...I'm glad I have a dishwasher! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Angela, I just wanted to let you know you won a copy of my book! Send me an email with your preferred format (.mobi, .epub, or .pdf), and if I get it by the end of the day, I can send it to you. Otherwise, I'll be able to send it Saturday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone, your comments have been so inspiring. I can truly say this blog chain and working as a form of encouragement.

    I'm loving the story I've started and whether I reach 50k words by Nov. 30, I plan to work on this story with the help of some awesome partners who've been extremely supportive from word one.

    Thank you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mini goals are great. I like that thought and maybe I should start setting some up for myself in the near future.

    The excerpt is great, being locked in a dark room wanting to be somewhere else (with someone else at that) is awful. Your book has good foundation, and even though you think you won't hit the NaNo word count by the end of the month I hope you continue writing it. It would be a shame if you let it fall onto the pile of half finished novels in the novel graveyard. Keep pushing yourself in those little goals and you'll be amazed at what becomes of it. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, Angela! I'm not with the chain, but I wanted to drop you a line and say, "Way to go!" You stuck with it, that's what matters. And 21,000+ is an awesome amount of wordage! Don't be so hard on yourself. Just keep pushing forward!

    I love your excerpt, great details! It builds tension and makes me want to know what comes next...

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's not bad for the month Angela! And like Maria said, it sounds like you have a solid story going here. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the picture! And yes, just keep going! I am right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to say, while looking through hundreds of blogs daily, the theme of this blog is different (for all the proper reasons). If you do not mind me asking, what's the name of this theme or would it be a especially designed affair? It's significantly better compared to the themes I use for some of my blogs.
    [url=http://acnetreatments250.blinkweb.com/]Home remedies for acne[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, Anonymous, my theme for my blog is about writing. It's a journey and maybe someone, another writer, reader or interested follower, can gain something from my blog, even if it's just a smile.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.