Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tuesday Blues Turning on an Upswing

Okay, so instead of a Tuesday Snoozeday with no post, I'm participating in something I like.  It's in support of NaNoWriMo writers and it's called Birth of a Novel Blog Chain by Charity Bradford and Elizabeth Poole.

As I write this, I am not in the best place word count wise.  Here's my rap sheet:
NaNoWriMo alias - dragonfang77
NaNo novel - NO COUNTRY FOR FAE FOLK (just a working title that I tossed out as a name because for some reason I was thinking of the movie whose name follows the same vein)
Second week goal: 20,000
Actual word count: 15,800
By the end of Sunday this week, I'd like to be at 30,000

#1 thing:  enjoy the rest of this ride whether I make it to 50,000 words or not.  Life tosses us lemons and I'm learning that I have to make lemonade or sit around like a sour puss all the time.  Non-stop sour puss is just too unattractive.  So let the fun continue.

Here's a snippet of some of the "mind drivel" I came up with from one of the more recent chapters.  This has not been run by the Inner Critic so it has all kinds of grammatically incorrect issues and possibly nonsensical, though it made perfect sense during an energy drink induced writing sprint (lol!!!):

I felt a nudge on my shoulder.  Hadn’t realized I’d dozed off.

Nonie stood over me.  “No time for sleep, Macie.  Now that you’re here, there are a few things you need to understand.”  I groaned and struggled to sit up.  Thane joined us.  I frowned at the sight of him with a shirt on.  I’d grown used to his bare chest look.  Plus I really, really liked it.  Nonie continued, “Central calls you Special.  But some folks don’t see you that way.”

“I don’t either,” I mumbled.

“Are you planning to kill yourself?”

My bottom lip dropped and I all but yelled, “Of course not!”

“But they are.  They’re probably working on something right now.  It’s a faction called UAC, Us Against Central.  We believe there’s a subset of radicals called UAS, Us Against the Specials.  They don’t make demands.  They make Specials disappear.”


Now do yourself a favor and go pick up a pair of pom poms and cheer on some of the other blog chain folks -
Angela B.
Anna M.
Brooke Busse
Charity Bradford
Elizabeth Davis
Elizabeth Poole
Fida Islaih
Huntress
Jen McConnel
Lena Hoppe
Mia Hayson
Miranda Hardy
Nyxie Moon
Tessa C
Zoe

So my reader and writer buddies, what progress have you made on your NaNo or none NaNo project?

23 comments:

  1. Even if you haven't made as much progress as you like, you've gotten a lot done. Thanks for sharing the tidbit of what you're working on. I know the title's not set but it did intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job this week. Any progression is a win in my eyes. I've deviated so much from my outline, I have no idea what will happen next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your attitude. Enjoy the journey! Anyway, 15K is more than you had November 1st, right?

    Thanks for sharing the clip. It made me ask a lot of questions--which is the whole reason I read. Great job and happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your title! And just keep having fun...that's what this is all about. (The word count is secondary!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're doing well. And I love the snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds intriguing so far. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool post!

    I have an award for you over at my blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're doing an amazing job at keeping the word count up. Me, I'm over a thousand. But I'm going to pump our a good ten thousand words before the weekend os over. Time to play catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a brave woman to post a piece of NaNo writing :) It sounds intriguing though so good for you!

    I'm in the same place and focusing on the fun. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the right attitude! You're still thousands of words further along than if you'd never attempted NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're doing great! You'll reach your 30k by the end of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you have some intrigue going on in your story.

    My word count isn't what it should be, but I'm planning to plod right on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm nearly done part one of my November projects. Your excerpt was intriguing. I really liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your snippet! And 15,800 is pretty darn good! I'm not doing NaNo - I knew I wouldn't have enough time in November - but I'm up to 23 ideas for PiBoIdMo - a few ahead of where I have to be. Good luck with your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I give you (and all the participants) so much credit for participating in NaNo. I haven't been in a place where I could even attempt it. Sending my cheers to everyone!

    AND you found time to blog - you're amazing Angela!

    Loved your snippet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Non-NaNo: If I can revise 5k a day, I will finish this MS by Friday. Please, please let me finish it by friday... I'm at the point where I've spent as much time fixing it as I spent writing it in the first place!

    Good luck with the 30k goal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much everyone for the encouraging words. I'm going to do my best and feel even more invigorated now.

    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent job and you're right! Just enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't work too hard! After all, I can't imagine what it's like to be a writer. My brain would have been boiling by now :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are on a roll. I still have not figured out what the "birth of a novel" blogroll is, but I am sending you cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay for your NaNo progress! Mine is, sadly, non-existent.

    Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds great! I love a good Fae story, and I like the conflict already, sounds like you'll have an epic fight on your hands full of deception and mystery. Good luck on having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The idea of writing 50 K in a month astonishes me.
    How would I find time to visit great blogs like yours (and Tweet, and check my email, and research Amazon music) if I wrote that many words?

    Great blog! Visting from Birth of a Novel.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.