Monday, January 30, 2012

Dies Irae and #Writemotivation

Want some #writemotivation?  I'm getting some in the form of cheering on Christine Fonseca, author of the YA Gothic Requiem series.  She's releasing a novella titled Dies Irae before launching Lacrimosa, all tiles by Compass Press.  Here's the cover and a short blurb:
Amazon or Barnes and Noble

Some sacrifices should never be made—even for love. 
Mikayel lives by one rule—obey the orders of the angelic Council at all costs. But when he and his friends, Azza and Demi, are sent to Earth as teenagers, following the rules is more difficult than they expected.
Being human isn’t the only problem facing the three angels. Unbeknownst to the Council, demonic activity is on the rise, threatening to break a tenuous peace that has existed for a millennia.
Caught in a struggle for power with unseen demonic forces, and fighting against his rising emotions, Mikayel must now decide how many rules he is willing to break to save his friends, a decision that could reignite an ancient war and will threaten the only thing that matters to the angels, the survival of humanity.


I count myself rather lucky that I had a chance to read this novella before the links were made available (which they are now WOOT!  Bought mine to keep because it's that good.).


Here's what Ali Cross, author of Become, had to say:   “Dies Irae is the perfect introduction to Christine Fonseca’s Requiem series. The beauty of the words will tempt you, the tragedy of the story will break you, and the love, woven throughout like music through the trees, will haunt you for days afterward. Dies Irae promises a tale unlike any you’ve read before.”


What do I have to say?


Honestly, it's still lingering with me.  Been a few days since I finished and I still feel swept up by the poetic nature of the prose, a style meant to hook, grab and sink you into the emotional fray of Demi, Azza and Mikayel.  I know I'm a bit of a sensitive soul sometimes, no shame in admitting it, but I had to dab a Kleenex at my eyes a time or two.  I'll tell girlfriends it was allergies, but between you and me, Christine did a wonderful job.  If you are not interested in a story about angels, sacrifice and that deep kind of love that roots its way into your heart, then maybe this novella isn't for you.  But if you're interested in beautiful writing and a beautiful story, then I'd say give Dies Irae a try.


As for my weekly report:  #Writemotivation and Birth of a Novel


January saw me making forward progress with MINGLED.  Last week I was at 45k word count and this week I'm at 52k.  Yes, I've been making sure to hit Save like my life depends on it...cause I know my sanity does after my last debacle.  Because I made some changes toward bettering my balance, I didn't get to work on UNCOMMON.  However, I shall make some adjustments to my goals that are more in line with my overall "balance" goal.


I met my two book task with Under the Never Sky, Dies Irae and my sci-fi beta read.  I have another beta read I get to tackle and I'm sooooo excited.


Last week I did great on the blog front and an epic fail with Twitter.  Sorry guys.  I know we all mess up sometimes so I'm getting over myself to do better this week.


Reading Dies Irae has me anxious for Lacrimosa, which I believe is due out in March of this year.  If it comes earlier, I'm jumping on it!  Now I've got a hankering for another wonderful angels and demons book.  I've read Chain of Souls by Maria Zannini, an excellent read, and Become by Ali Cross, a dark and haunting read.  I wonder what other angels and demons books have been released in the last three or four months that I should take a gander at.  Any suggestions?

59 comments:

  1. You've been busy. Keep up the great work! The novella sounds good. I've been seeing it around, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, been busy but also doing a little better with this balance thing. Got a ways to go to get better with it.

      Checking out this novella would be an enjoyable investment.

      Delete
  2. So excited for Christine, though I'm not a fan of angel books. Just a personal taste.

    So glad you're doing good with your goals. And I loved Under the Never Sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's certainly understandable. Some things just aren't for everyone. And I loved Under the Never Sky as well. My tastes are pretty wide spread.

      Delete
  3. LOL! There's been an infestation of angel and demon stories in the past year. I suspect it's an unconscious response to the 2012 prophecies.

    I try not to read in the genre I'm writing at the time to prevent any influence. But there are lots out there and they range from the erotic to the cerebral--which I hope mine falls more on the cerebral side (with a touch of heat).

    Thanks for the mention, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right, just as there are lots of post-apocalyptic stories (ahem, like my WiP).

      I enjoyed both of your stories and hadn't made a big move to read more angels and demons. But I'm a bit more interested now.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the shout out Angela. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the novella, just thrilled! And hmm, Become is my fav other angel book, followed by Cassandra Clare's books and Michelle Zink's books. All great choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine, for allowing me the chance to experince your beautiful writing. I was wonderful.

      I'm not familiar with Michelle Zink. I shall have to look her up. Thanks>

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the review, and congrages on your continued writing progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess. The progress is steady.

      Delete
  6. You are making great progress! And isn't it cool when a book lingers long after you've finished reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. And yes, I can still hear Azza, Mikayel and Demi's voices. All three so distinct.

      Delete
    2. Yes? SO GLAD!!! That was no easy feat!

      Delete
  7. I haven't heard of this book. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always looking for a great read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's also great is that it's a novella so you can finish up pretty quickly.

      Delete
  8. All these book recommendations! LOL. Great review Angela. You're doing well with your goals too, kudos. And thanks for your support the last couple weeks of my crazy life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I am a writer, I am a reader and I haven't been feeding that part of me as well. Lately, I've been able to do better.

      And of course you are very welcome. I'll give you all the support I can muster :-)

      Delete
  9. I admit not following up on angel and demon books lately, so I'm no help there. But thanks for being this one to my attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome David. My pleasure.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you're getting some work done and getting some good reading in too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a daily task but I've been trying to balance my working life, reading life, writing life and my kiddo a lot better. Slower and steady but better.

      Delete
  11. I'm like Natalie, or I was until I read Dies Irae. Angel books never held any appeal for me until I met Christine's angels. Now I'm a huge fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, each angels and demons story I've read thus far has been uniquely different and wonderful in their own way. I've really enjoyed them, and really captivated with Christine's angels.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad to hear you are making progress. I agree with the other writers, there are a great deal of angel and demon stories out right now. It's not my thing but it sure is popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clarissa. I guess I got my work cut out for me checking through some of the angels and demons stories out there. Kind of exciting actually.

      Delete
  13. lots of exciting info! way to go on your reading and writing!
    and you might like Everneath by Brodi Ashton, it's not angels, but a girl and demons...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have that novel. Going to check my queue and make sure it's there. I might even be able to use it for my 2012 reading challenge...if I don't go with Cinder.

      Delete
  14. I adore you for posting your weekly writing updates. You inspire me, Angela! You're always trying to do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Emily, I count myself lucky that I have this great writing community to share this journey with and who feed my tiny little dream with encouragement. You guys rock!

      Delete
  15. Sounds like a really great novella! Thanks for sharing it! I will definitely keep my eyes open for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get a chance to check it out, I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  16. It's hard to keep up with everything.

    Sounds like a fabulous read if it's still sticking with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit. The angel that I'm kinda crushing on is Mikayel. His emotions, Christine's handling of them was done well.

      Delete
    2. I LOVE that you are "crushing" on Mikayel. And yea, WAIT until Lacrimosa and Aydan. I have always had a major crush on him!

      Delete
  17. So.. Cryer's Cross isn't about angels, but it's about ghosts and they're both supernatural creatures having to do with the afterlife, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke, you've just given me another wonderful recommendation to add to my TBR. Actually, I've been thinking of writing a story with ghosts. Just toying with the idea....have you been tinkering around in my head lol!!! This is perfect. Thank you.

      Delete
  18. I love those lingering books. They're the best. And wow you are a busy bee! Great job at getting stuff done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby. Got lots of buzzing going on :-)

      Delete
  19. I definitely need to check this one out then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like giving my honest thoughts on stories, probably why me doing any other kind of book share just wouldn't work. I just love reading!

      Delete
  20. It's always a good sign when a book and characters stay with you. I liked Maria's series too.
    I've been hearing good things about Nalini Singh's angel series. I haven't read any of the series yet, but it's on my to-read list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley. I'll have to check out that author's books.

      Delete
  21. There's an award for you over on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracey. I'm so honored. :-)

      Delete
  22. 52K...*applauding loudly & standing* Way to go, Angela. I also have to say, I'm giggling at the fact that Christine crushes on her own characters, which can only be a direct result from awesome characterization. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the applause, Candy. It's been a daily struggle, well worth it, though.

      I think it's cool too that Christine hearts on her characters. Now I'm even more anxious for Lacrimosa to release.

      Delete
  23. I love when characters stick around long after the story ends. That is a sign of a great book. I'm a huge Angels and Demons fan. I love to read the good vs. evil kind of stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually better when good triumphs but sometimes, evil wins a battle.

      Delete
  24. I'm looking forward to reading this! Christine is a great person and a great writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like you have your goals well in hand. I admire your drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that very much. It's a daily thing.

      Delete
  26. I just started UNDER THE NEVER SKY, and I need to keep reading. It's so hard to find the time!

    I loved DIES IRAE, so yay that you did too! I haven't read a ton of other angel/demon novels, but I hope you find some you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, squeezing in the time to read can be hard but I'm doing better now than I did all of last year. Not sure if I should be sad or laugh about that.

      Delete
  27. Dies Irae sounds amazing. I'd love to read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, I love the name Mikayel. I want to read this just for that name!

    Congrats on conquering your word count!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlie. Don't have long to go to get back to The End.

      Delete
  29. If you like angels and demons I have a book for you! I am reading an advanced reader copy of Rise from Darkness, a Y/A novel by Ciara Knight. It is incredible. I read Love's Long Shadow, a teaser novella for the Battle For Souls series, in exchange for a review and the author offered me the chance to read Rise From Darkness, the first installment of the series. I love it! I believe it will be released March 18th. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves angels and demons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Love's Long Shadow. I can hop on that now. You've certainly got me intrigued about this novel coming out in March. Exciting.

      Delete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.