Friday, January 6, 2012

Do the Freebie Dance

***I just want to say that I am floored, honored and bowled over by the comments I received to my ISWG post on Wednesday.  Sometimes, it can be easy to think you're all alone in a struggle.  That's what I LOVE about the blogosphere.  You shared you're own trials, reminded me I wasn't alone and that small steps to making my dream happen is way better than leaving my dream behind.  You all warmed my heart, touched my soul and shared enough encouragement to rally an underdog football team to a win.  Thank you, ALL of you, so much***

One of the great things about being a writer during this time, is the ability to publish through so many avenues.  I'd like to end the week highlighting a short story that will be free today and gone tomorrow.  Well, not the story, but the price will change.  Here it is from the blog of the author herself, Marlene Dotterer:

My short story, “The Farm” is available for free over at Amazon’s Kindle store. Yes, it’s only available as an ebook.
It will be $0.00 for today [Thursday] and tomorrow [Friday], then it jumps back to the astronomical price of $0.99. Do hurry.
My apologies for being a little late in bringing this up.  But I couldn't let this author's short story go without notice.  So give it a shot.
Amazon e-book.  Buy it here.
Amazon description: In the 25th century, the human race is scattered throughout the galaxy’s Sagittarius Arm. But no matter where people go, they always remain human...

Amy Longfellow, and her eleven-year-old daughter, Elaine, have just joined the crew of the hollow-asteroid ship, Rachel Carson. For both of them, it’s a chance to leave heartache behind, and for Amy, a chance to rekindle an old love. But as the ancient holiday of Christmas approaches, Elaine must face her deepest sorrows alone - and learn how to make the best part of her old life part of the new.


Short stories have always been around, of course, but many authors are taking advantage of the short story form to develop shorts for secondary characters, detail a particular story arc a little further or as prequels.  Do you have a favorite short story?  Please share the title or author so we can all check them out.

30 comments:

  1. Angela, glad you received so much encouragement!
    I liked her comment about jumping to the astronomical price of .99 - funny.
    And I just finished M. Pax's "Semper Audacia." Excellent short story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Alex, I loved that comment too. Just checked to make sure I have Semper Audacia on my kindle app and I do. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so far behind that I'm doing more collecting stories than reading them. Looking forward to taking a day soon and enjoying a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love free books. I'm all over that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LD - There are so many great stories out there, I can certainly understand where you're coming from lol!!!

    Angela - Yeah, got me a copy too hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela, thank you. You brought tears to my eyes.

    I just added Semper Audacia to my list. It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need an e-reader! Oh well, I'll pay the 99 cents when I get one. I'm sure it's worth the price.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that sounds like a great holiday story!

    i am reading mary's semper audacia too, good stuff!

    and i'm going to work my brain with some short story challenges =)

    you are doing an awesome job balancing since you're putting her happiness & dreams first!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can do free...or .99:) Awesome price. How can I pass that up?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you received so much encouragement. Gonna check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you got so many great cheerleaders to urge you on. Sorry, I fell behind this week. :)

    Way to go, Marlene. All success!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emily - e-reader not needed, just a computer and download the free kindle app. That's what I do.

    Tara - I've got Semper Audacia in the queue. Can't wait to read it. And I can honestly say I'm feeling a bit more balanced with all this writing, blogging, living and loving business :-)

    JL - For sure. I've got it so I look forward to reading it as well.

    Deana - Isn't that price awesome?

    Ciara - Thank you. It was helpful to get that off my chest and even more helpful to read the words of encouragement.

    M Pax - Apologies are not needed. This is the blogosphere. Unless something happens, we'll be here virtually all the time to cheer each other on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't read shorts nearly as often as I should. I read one years and years ago in Realms of Fantasy called Teeth, but I couldn't tell you who wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome that it's available now. But not for the Nook?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the head's up! I need to read more short fiction...

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad everyone was so encouraging! That's what I love about the writing community :) I'll have to check out the short story... so much to do, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, I have to choose just ONE short story? There are so many that I've loved in my life. Haha. One of my favorites is "Snow, Glass, Apples" -- a Snow White retelling by Neil Gaiman.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't written any short stories in the last few years. It's a different art I'm not good at!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this freedom - and the opportunity it gives us to discover new authors - so much! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Barbara - I read a short story by J.S. Bangs, I believe it was called The Judge's Right Hand. It was great and really excited me to check out a few more short stories elsewhere.

    Donna - No, I believe it is exclusive to Amazon for a short while.

    CN - So do I. That makes this a great investment, free, but an investment nonetheless :-)

    Susanna - So right, this is a great community.

    Alessa - Oh cool! Thanks for the short story recommendation. Got to look it up.

    Lydia - I'm a novel length writer myself but there are writers who have the short story form down to a science.

    Ali - There are so many positives. I love it too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Off to check it out. All the best with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay for freebies! And yay for bloggers. It's such a great group.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I should really get an e-reader one of these days! Sounds like a great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's awesome! :) I have such a hard time writing short stories, but I love reading them. :) My most recent favorite is Zachary Zombie and the Lost Boy: A Story for Demented Children, by John H. Carroll. It's hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just downloaded it. Can't wait to read! I've been providing my short stories on Kindle for awhile now and it's been working great. Best luck to Marlene!


    GeorgeGable.Com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is what happens when I don't check on posts sooner. I miss out!

    I really liked Eric James Stone's In Memory.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I salute short story authors. I dream of being so tidy and concise with a story. Thanks for the rec.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds like a wonderful short.

    My favorite short story is called The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.