Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Writing that Stimulates the Mind Can Speak to the Heart

The author I want to highlight today is one whose own life story is truly a testimony to overcoming obstacles.  I just want to reach out and give him a big old hug.  Would that be bloggerly PDA?  If so, so what.  Sending you a big hug, Roland.

Now I digress :-)

Roland Yeomans is dedicated to life and living.  In his own words:
"As for myself, I am a former English teacher and counselor, now a rare blood courier.  When my mother contracted cancer, I started my own book store to be with her and help her.  When she died, I became a rare blood courier."

Is that dedication or what?!?

He maintains Writing In The Crosshairs, a great blog by the way, and is author to several selections.

The one I want to mention is Last Exit to Babylon.
Amazon e-book buy here.

Here's the description from Amazon: The Twilight of the Gods has begun. DayStar, the scion of Eternal Night has won. Fallen, the Last Fae, lies ensnared in a mystic coma. Kirika, the Living Sun, is dissolving in the River Lethe. And Blake Adamson, the clone of the Nazarene, wanders lost along the shores of Oblivion.

But not for long. Fallen has survived as the Last Fae by her courage and fire. It takes her to the fabled Last Exit to Babylon. And Kirika, the Living Sun, fights the hordes of Darkness by her side.

And Blake? He will win his way to their side even if it means loosing the dread Wolf of Ragnarok, Fenris, and unraveling all of existence in the bargain. 

At the dawn of the End of All Things, there is no hope ... but love.

You want to know something?  It gets even better with this novel.  Remember I mentioned he has a dedication to life and living?  Well, 100%--did you catch that---100% of the royalties of this book will go to The Salvation Army, the charity with a kettle and a bell and programs that have turned around the lives of countless, maybe even someone you know.

Last Exit to Babylon is a stand-alone novel, a continuation of a storyline from his Love Like Death trilogy.  He was kind enough to provide us with a book trailer for this trilogy.



So I'm curious, are you aware of another author doing something special with their writing, perhaps supporting a special cause?  If so, please share in the comments.  And thanks, Roland, for letting me share your story today.

26 comments:

  1. That's awesome! It sounds like an interesting book. Definitely plan to check it out. (Even if the blurb didn't completely hook me I'd buy it for the cause, LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound interesting, Raelyn. I'm excited about getting this on in my reading queue, and supporting such a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful! Roland is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True, Nicole. I was moved by his own story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roland is fantastic! I love his writing, it's so lyrical and beautiful. And he gives to an excellent cause.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard of an author donating 100%. That's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an awesome cause. I love stuff like that, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather - Now you've got me even more excited to read this story.

    Margo - I can't say that I've heard of it either. But there are lots of giving writers out there, great examples for the rest of us.

    J.A. - Me too. I was so amazed when he mentioned giving 100% of proceeds. Just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's awesome he's donating all the proceeds! I'm in the middle of his book Call Me Tombs right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Raylyn :
    I have to work on my blurb! Thanks for being interested. Yes, the Salavation Army didn't need New Orleans to be declared a disaster area before they moved in after Katrina : they were already there!

    Have you ever seen a love story in a movie or a novel where the hero is torn between two loves, one good, the other naughty?

    You can already tell how it is going to go. Not with Blake, he loves two Dark Spirits and somehow he must manage to keep them both despite their hating each other or his heart will stop beating ... literally.

    Oh, and reality will end as well. No pressure, right?

    Nicole :
    I think you're rather awesome, too!

    Heather :
    Thanks for the very kind words. You're a writer who moves the heart as well as the mind.

    Margo :
    I support myself as a blood courier. This way I am a secret agent for the Salvation Army. How neat is that?

    J.A. :
    Even if you do not want to buy my books (all of their royalties through January are going to the Salvation Army) -- there is a link to donate directly to them in my sidebar.

    Alex :
    I hope you enjoy CALL ME TOMBS. I think he and his hellhound, Puppy, will give you at least a smile or two, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't aware of Roland's commitment to the Salvation Army, an organization I've always supported. We should all take a listen from his unselfishness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great, Angela. LOL about the bloggerly PDA :-)
    Roland was amazing before I read this post. Now knowing his story, I am truly moved by him. I am reading The Legend of Victor Standish right now and need to get to this one, as well. What a wonderful guy. I have to go before I get weepy. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LD :
    When I was six, my dysfunctional father, to get back at my mother for divorcing him, charmed my babysitter into believing my parents reconciled. He then abandoned me on the roughest street in Detroit. Six weeks later, the Salvation Army reunited me with my frantic mother. I will always be their supporter. Thanks for visiting, Roland

    Susan :
    I hope you are enjoying THE LEGEND OF VICTOR STANDISH. I had my own Old Suze -- Maudie and her little dog, Tufts, while out on the street. I immortalized Maudie and her little dog, Tufts, in FRENCH QUARTER NOCTURNE.

    Wasn't Angela cute about the brotherly blogging PDA? Don't feel bad about me. I was deeply loved by special people in my life. How great is that? And that your heart is touched means you're a special lady, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, Roland. I just love people who show some serious beauty from the inside, and yours is shining bright :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angela :
    When surrounded by such special ladies here like you and others, who could be a grinch? Thank you very much for this nice post, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I blog PDA all the time! I'm so all over Jon Yang right now he probably should get a restraining order.

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful cause, Roland. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Angela. Your laughing Avatar makes me smile every time I see it, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  19. Angela,

    This sounds like a fantastic piece for a great cause. I think I want to get a copy absolutely because of that -- well, and because you speak so highly of it!

    Also, I just linked your blog! Phew! I was just two days later than I said it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rance :
    Thanks for linking this post. I know it means a lot to Angela ... and to me. I hope you enjoy the book. Isn't Angela a special lady for doing this? Roland

    ReplyDelete
  21. All of you are so awesome. It was my pleasure to highlight Roland and his cause. It's wonderful supporting each other.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woah, Roland, you da man! A few years ago I walked across the country and raised 40K for the earthquake victims in Haiti. Since, It's been my goal to finish some of my novels so I could start donating to other causes. Inspiration, Roland and thanks for sharing Angela!!!

    <3 jordan

    JordanDibb.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what an amazing spotlight for an amazing person. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Roland's great- I haven't read anything of his yet, but I like his blog and all! And that's wonderful about what he does for a living- very selfless.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jordan :
    You were there when needed - that makes you a champion in my book. I wish you luck in your novels as well!

    Elana :
    Thanks for the kind words. You have been a hero to those who have reached out to you with their dreams, making you an amazing person in your own right.

    Abby :
    Some of my books are just 99 cents and the money goes to the Salvation Army, so if you find yourself enjoying the story, you will be a double winner, right? LOL. Thanks for the kind words, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the entre to someone who sounds like a real light in the world. Can't wait to read his work.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.