Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dies Irae Blog Tour - Christine Speaks, I'm Listening

Christine Fonseca stops by to share a little something about writing, not just the Requieum series, but in general.  I've grabbed a cup of green tea and invite you to grip your mug of morning special as well.  Take it away, Christine :-)


Write What You Know (and you know far more than you think)

Thanks Angela for hosting a leg of the blog tour for DIES IRAE. Today I want to talk about writing. In particularly about the old adage, “write what you know.”

People often ask me how I came up with the storyline behind DIES IRAE and the entire series. The answer lies in the adage, write what you know. Okay, true, I’ve never been an angel (that I know of!), I’ve never lived in ancient Greece, and I’ve certainly never faced off with some pretty bad-ass demons. I researched those things, not drawing from personal experience at all. So how can I say I write what I know?

The answer is simple, the emotional content is part of our common human experience. No, I’ve never felt that type of terror my characters feel at certain points in the story, nothing close. But I really don’t have to. I merely need to tap into something we all share—our collective human experience. The collective unconscious.

Carl Jung defines the collective unconscious as a transcendental record of humanity, consisting of “mythological motifs or primordial images” that every human can tap into. It is the basis of mythology and enables us to explore the inner workings of our psyche.

Haven’t you ever read something and felt like the author was speaking directly to YOU, even though the story itself was nothing like your life. That author reached you on an unconscious level, tapping into the emotions and parts of being we all share. The collective unconscious.

I think that when we’re crafting a story, when we’re true to our characters and simply pulling the story that already exists on the page, we are tapping into the greatest of gifts—our collective experience. We are truly writing what we know.

Are you writing what you know?


THAT is the million dollar question.  Thanks so much for sharing with us today.  Big Hugs your way and much success with this series.  Speaking for myself, you all already know I loved this novella.


About Christine Fonseca
School psychologist by day, critically acclaimed YA and nonfiction author by night, Christine Fonseca believes that writing is a great way to explore humanity. Her debut YA Gothic series, The Requiem Series, including DIES IRAE and LACRIMOSA, examines the role of redemption, sacrifice and love. When she’s not writing or spending time with her family, she can be sipping too many skinny vanilla lattes at her favorite coffee house or playing around on Facebook and Twitter. Catch her daily thoughts about writing and life on her blog.

Short Blurb for DIES IRAE
Amazon or B&N
Some sacrifices should never be made—even for love. 
Mikayel lives by one rule—obey the orders of the angelic Council at all costs. But when he and his friends, Azza and Demi, are sent to Earth as teenagers, following the rules is more difficult than they expected.
Being human isn’t the only problem facing the three angels. Unbeknownst to the Council, demonic activity is on the rise, threatening to break a tenuous peace that has existed for a millennia.
Caught in a struggle for power with unseen demonic forces, and fighting against his rising emotional, Mikayel must now decide how many rules he is willing to break to save his friends, a decision that could reignite an ancient war and will threaten the only thing that matters to the angels, the survival of humanity.

Author Endorcement(s):
“Dies Irae is the perfect introduction to Christine Fonseca’s Requiem series. The beauty of the words will tempt you, the tragedy of the story will break you, and the love, woven throughout like music through the trees, will haunt you for days afterward. Dies Irae promises a tale unlike any you’ve read before.”
~Ali Cross, Author of BECOME

Soon to come from Compass Press-
Goodreads
Short Blurb for LACRIMOSA

As if casting out demons isn’t hard enough, five-hundred-year-old Nesy has to masquerade as a teenage girl to do it. Nesy is the best of the warrior angels called Sentinals. She never makes mistakes, never hesitates, never gets emotionally involved. Until she meets Aydan.
He is evil incarnate; a fallen angel that feeds off the souls of others. Everything Nesy is supposed to hate. But she can’t, because he’s also the love of her former life as a human girl—a life that ended too soon, tying her to emotions she was never supposed to feel.
Now Nesy must choose between doing her duty—damning Aydan to the fiery depths of hell—or saving him, and condemning herself.

So...getting back to that question.  Are you writing what you know?

22 comments:

  1. Great advice Christine. It makes us all feel more like experts to know we can tap into this. Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed what she shared. Like adding another weapon to my arsenal of writerly knowledge.

      Delete
  2. What a great explanation. I never thought of it that way before, but it makes sense. We all share emotions that mean we can write anything. Great post, good luck with your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading what Christine shared, I couldn't help realizing how simple and true it was that we could do this.

      Delete
  3. That was so well said, Christine! Perfect. There is a fundamental reason why archetypes connect for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the kind words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy to share kind words for great information.

      Delete
  5. Excellent. That's always been my take on the adage...emotions. We all have them, we've all experienced them, we can all relate to them.

    Off to check out the book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful read. I sure hope you enjoy it

      Delete
  6. I haven't always written what I know, but I'm working on it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true, but conveying emotion on the page is an art in itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Mike, that is an art I'm still working at, working and working and working some more.

      Delete
  8. Christine makes great points about the collective unconscious and tapping into emotional truth. Thanks for hosting this Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Pleasure, Krispy. It was fun getting to be a part of Christine's novella push.

      Delete
  9. This series sounds really interesting. I like the 'new' genre: YA Gothic, and hope it beats out Dystopia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what's interesting, there's probably a whole lot more out there that should be reclassified with this genre title.

      Delete
  10. Our collective conscious, that's brilliant. I have felt like an author was speaking directly to me, that's a powerful thing. And I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now it's a matter of tapping into this when writing so that readers are pulled into the book.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful post. Books would be boring if we only wrote what we knew. How better to learn than through research? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would have a few limitations on that. Thankfully, as Christine mentioned, we know more than we realize.

      Delete
  12. What a great post. When I think about the books that really resonate with me they're the ones that make good use of emotion - no matter what the genre.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.