Friday, February 10, 2012

Everneath, What One Rash Decision Can Do

Check it out here
Here's the description from Brodi Ashton's blog:

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

So I finished reading this book.  I know I just mentioned that I was reading it but yeah, it's done.  I finished it a couple of days ago.  What could I possibly think of it:
 - page turner
 - emotional roller coaster
 - made me sniffle a little
 - romance boiling under the surface and brimming out of the cup
 - some love triangles work, like in this story

Now, there is one thing that I had to work through.  I won't go into details because I don't want any spoilers here.  I'll just say that I'm a fan of loving hard, just on the fence about certain things done in the name of love.

As much as I enjoyed Cole and could really feel for Nik, I really loved Jack.  I keep wondering if it is possible to find a grown up, real life version of someone like him.  Brodi Ashton's description of him is wonderful but it's his actions that made him swoon-worthy, if he were much older that is.  If there was a team, I would be Team Jack all the way.  At least I wouldn't want to form a Team We Hate Nik.  Her character displayed a reasonable amount of angst...and who wouldn't after being sucked down to Everneath to be fed upon by an Immortal only to Return to the Surface and have six months to...what, try to make things right after suddenly vanishing?  Actually say goodbye to family and friends?  Make up missed homework?

Brodi's premise is strong, allotting room for a lot of tension.  Her writing was almost conversational, pulling you in and carrying you along until you found it hard to put the story away.

My mind is now ready for an Everneath #2.  I want to know.  I have to know.  No.  I need to know what's in story for Cole, Nik and Jack.

So, what good read are you checking out right now?

****By the way, tune in Monday for something special  :-)****

16 comments:

  1. In other words, the author has hooked you big time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have to admit it. I'm really hooked. I enjoyed this story a great deal.

      Delete
  2. excellent review! thanks!

    have an Xs & Os weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara. You have a wonderful weekend as well!

      Delete
  3. What an interesting premise for a book! People constantly awe me with their creativity :) This sounds like one I'll have to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read some descriptions where they mention this is a different retelling of the Persephone and Hades tale, however, once you read the book, you'll probably recognize the other couple this really mimics, especially since they get mentioned in the book.

      Delete
  4. This one sounds interesting. I'm currently reading Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn and am really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED Susan's Open Minds novel. Paced just right, great writing and the mindjacking idea is just crazy. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

      Delete
  5. great review, but if it's a series, I may wait for it to be complete. I have too many books in a series I;m waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you one bit :-) I'm all anxious now to see what's going to happen next. But alas, I must wait lol!!!

      Delete
  6. What an awesome review. It makes me want to go and grab a copy when I have heaps of books I need to read.

    Still reading RITA books - top secret!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the premise of mortal vs. immortal and despair sucking. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All right all right, I'll read the book. Though I do have a problem with women's heads being cut off on covers. (I've seen too many episodes of "Killing Me Softly" on Youtube... all about women in advertising and stuff.)

    The book was mentioned at the convention I just went to, so YA or no, I'll put it on my Goodreads list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to read this! I keep hearing wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.