Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Literary Legends and Dimensions

Dr. Maya Angelou
Click here >>>
Say that name anywhere and you'd be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't heard of her.  In a brief description on her site, she is described as "a remarkable Renaissance woman who is hailed as one of the great voices of contemporary literature. As a poet, educator, historian, best-selling author, actress, playwright, civil-rights activist, producer and director, she continues to travel the world, spreading her legendary wisdom. Within the rhythm of her poetry and elegance of her prose lies Angelou's unique power to help readers of every orientation span the lines of race. Angelou captivates audiences through the vigor and sheer beauty of her words and lyrics."

I was first introduced to her work as a teenager, reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.  I remember thinking, "what a silly title"...until I read the book.  Yeah, it stopped being silly and I wanted to know more about her.  At this point, she's pretty iconic.  If I met her, I'd probably pass out, but hopefully I'd shake her hand before doing so :-)

On a note less embarrassing than admitting Maya's presence in my general vicinity could cause me to faint, I'd like to mention a movie that folks in the Boston area will get to see.  It is called Dimensions.  It will be at the Boston Sci-Fi Film Festival on Saturday, February 18th.

Here's what it's about from the movie's site:

Dimensions:  A Line, A Loop, A Tangle of Threads
Stephen is a brilliant young boy who lives in England, in what appears to be the 1920s – but nothing in Stephen’s life is quite as it seems.  His world is turned upside down upon meeting a charismatic and inspirational professor at a garden party, who demonstrates to Stephen and his friends what life would be like if they themselves were merely one, or two, dimensional beings.  He then proceeds to explain that by manipulating other dimensions, time travel may actually be possible.
As Stephen’s life unfolds, events lead him to dedicate himself to turning the Professor’s theories of time travel into reality.  Jealousy, love, obsession, temptation and greed surround him, influencing his fragile mind and the direction of his work.
So I'm admittedly curious, if time travel were real, you can control the WHEN of your trip but your return to the present was not guaranteed, would you take this chance to reshape your world?

25 comments:

  1. The strange title is exactly why I picked up the book too.

    Ref: time travel
    I wouldn't do it. As much as I like 'fixing' things, I know the events in our lives is what molds us to what we become.

    We are what we are because of what we've been through. Who's to judge which road was the right one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, you'd be the one to get access to time travel because you'd be all wise and cautious.

      I'd get a wild hair up my tail and have to use that bad boy to go back, well, just because lol!!

      Delete
  2. I'm amazed at such strong and pioneering woman. They are my earthly inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maya is a very inspiring woman. She's accomplished so much in her lifetime.

      Delete
  3. beautiful words for a beautiful woman!
    and happy late bday to another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara :-)

      Yeah, she's got a beauty that pours out from the deepest places of her soul.

      Delete
  4. She is brilliant! I don't know what else to add to that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time travel, hmm? Oh gosh, I don't know. Maybe I'd travel really far back in time, maybe I wouldn't travel at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To go or not to go? I think I know what Dr. Who would say lol!!

      Delete
  6. I like this concept becasue it reminds me of my book, but I don't anyone to think I stole it from them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand were you're coming from. I'm batting some idea similarities with a few other titles write now. Just makes me want to shake my fist and laugh at the same time at us writers having such great ideas.

      Delete
    2. This happens to me like every single book I write. Just when I finish the revision I'll hear of some movie or other book with a similar plotline. sigh......

      Delete
  7. She is one of my most favorite authors. Her work is more than inspiring.

    As for the time travel... I would be tempted, especially if I could choose thete act time and place from my past. But I could not leave my children behind. They make everything just right - even when the world seems like it needs a serious fix :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, the kiddos really are a pretty good reason to leave well enough alone :-)

      Delete
  8. I'm someone who hasn't heard of this author. Perhaps because I'm in New Zealand. I have to say I'm a little torn about time travel. I like being in the now. Each generation faces different problems. I'm okay dealing with ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goody, Shelley. I am ecstatic that you have now heard of her. She's lots of powerful words wrapped up in lots of emotion making one heck of an awesomeness burrito.

      Delete
  9. I've heard of the book, but not the author. I am headed to check out her website now!!!

    And I don't think I would time travel. I feel it's best to live without regrets. Plus, it's probably best not to mess with such things ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the caution of the wise...the folly of the fools like myself who'd probably tangle with fate. lol!!

      Delete
  10. I don't think I've ever read anything by Maya Angelou, but now I'd really like to. Dimensions sounds like a great movie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was young when I first read something by her. But it was thought provoking and really made me understand the power of thinking outside of present circumstance, to see that the light at the end of the tunnel is a bright star waiting to get grabbed.

      Delete
  11. I would think being in her presence is like being in the presence of an angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably have the world's biggest smile on my face, all my teeth visible to the world lol!!

      Delete
  12. The movie sounds great! It's quite a question, that. I have no idea. Not being able to get back to my present would be terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the part that's pretty interesting. Going back is tempting, but could a person really do it if there was no guarantee of getting back to their normal life in the present? Curiouser and curiouser.

      Delete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.