Friday, February 24, 2012

A to Z, One, Two, Three, Boy Meets Girl


April 2012 will be here soon. Are you joining the A to Z fun? Click here to check out the deets.

The very lovely and funny Angie Cothran tagged me.  I'm It!  Here are her questions.  Yes, I'm okay if you roll on the floor uproariously at something that I should have been much smarter NOT to attempt or do. :-)
  1. Do you write your books out long hand with paper and pen or typed on a computer? Okay, so here's the deal.  I usually start off with Post it notes (not numbered so I have to make sure to keep them in order) or with my daughter's Spongebob and Patrick stationary.  For some reason, the first paragraph or first lines like to get worked out when I'm not in front of my personal laptop or I'm in the middle of something else and the Chipmunk's stationary is the first thing I grab to jot down the first lines.  Otherwise, typed on my laptop.
  2. If you had to live your life without one of these which would you pick—Underwear or Shoes? Why? Um, the ground has things like glass, pebbles, gravel and it gets really hot or really cold.  Wearing a pair of pants or a long skirt, no one would ever know that I was "wilidng out" with no underwear.  So yeah, no underwear lol!!!
  3. Where is the best place to vacation? In reality, my bed where I can disappear beneath the blankets and sleep, sleep, sleep.  In my fantasy, it would be a toss up between France and New Zealand.  Wine in the countryside or natural beauty that steals your breath away.
  4. What would the world be better without?  Defining one's life by the misery of others.
  5. If you could live in one fairy tale, which one would you pick?  As much as I adore fairy tales with their Happily Ever Afters, I'm not sure I'd be able to live in any of them.  My brain would rebel on me.  I could try under the sea with Ariel where I'll immediately be distracted by every shiny thing in sight.  Or I could try in the heart of Nawlins with Tiana.
  6. What is your strength as a writer?  How I wish I could say it's my perfect word choice, revulsion to passive voice and adverbs and the ability to get the story right in the first draft.  Given my word choice sometimes causes head scratching, my penchant for abusing -ing words and adverbs like they're the only words available and the fright that echoes through my frame when I attempt a read-through of my first draft, I'd have to say my strength is my stubborn nature.  Despite it all - or in spite of it all - I just keep trying.
  7. Night Owl or Early Bird?  Night owl
  8. Favorite cosmetic product? Lip stick that doesn't dry my lips and make them all flakey and ugh.  Not fun when you have full lips.
  9. If you could be friends with one published author who would you pick?  J.K. Rowling should be the obvious answer but instead, I'd choose Brodi Ashton.  No, not for her book, Everneath, even though I enjoyed it.  It's because she's as hilarious as hells-bells.  You have to check out her blog.
  10. Hollywood star you look most like?  Queen Latifah, at least that's what I've been told.
  11. What is one thing you miss about your childhood? Gosh, I miss not being an adult, having constant responsibility for something or someone else.  Go outside and play.  Sit down and read a book.  Do homework.  Those don't seem so tough now.
Now here's my question, something to help me with this A to Z Challenge I've latched myself to - Heaven help me - why do you think many good girls have a leaning toward bad boys or good boys hunger for bad girls?  Or maybe you can share why we seem to have a special enjoyment of the forbidden romances:  Buffy and Angel, Edward+Bella+Jacob, Marianne Dashwood and John Willoughby, Romeo and Juliet

31 comments:

  1. Great questions and answers! I'm laughing at the thought of Sponge Bob and Patrick stationery.

    And as for your question: I haven't the foggiest. I'm SO not attracted to bad boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not attracted to them now. But when I was younger, it seemed bad boys were all that came my way. A couple of the good boys I knew were head over heels with some pretty bad girls. To this day, I still don't understand it.

      Delete
    2. Oh geez this answer would take a really in depth phone conversation w/ ya, girl lol. I very rarely am attracted to bad boys (my 2012 crush of the year is the only one and he's irresistible lol). I always go back to childhood - there's something unresolved that makes girls think they can "reform" the bad boy, that if "he changes for me" then they're validated as good girls and worthy of love. Of course, I went to grad school to be a Marriage, Family Therapist so I have this POV :)

      But yeah if you ever want to chat about this I'd love to. I'm fascinated by this stuff.

      Delete
  2. New Zealand for the win. Man, I would love to go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tally one for New Zealand. It's such a beautiful country.

      Delete
  3. I want to go to New Zealand! Visit all the places they filmed LOTR.
    I guess the bad boy/girl thing is all about rebellion and the element of danger. Although anytime I see a nice young lady with a really rough looking guy I think "Man, she must hate her parents."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Alex, that would be so awesome, checking out all those locations.

      I think you're on to something regarding that element of danger. Something for me to think about.

      Delete
  4. Love your answers! I want to go to New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sangu :-) Tally another vote for New Zealand.

      Delete
  5. You start on post its? That is just so cool :) And I can totally see Queen Latifa. Can you sing too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Post its, but I have to do better lol!!!!

    And I do a little bit of singing, sometimes when I shouldn't, like sitting in the drive thru of a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great answers! But... I'd give up my shoes over my 'unmentionables'...haha. I like the way shoes look...but honestly, if I could get away with it, I'd never wear shoes again! Barefoot...ahhh, freedom for my feet :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, sometimes there's just nothing like free toes, wiggling and happy. :-)

      Delete
  8. Great answers! I love the Sponge Bob and Patrick stationary - it does seem conducive to writing: "What do you wanna do?" "I dunno, what do you wanna do?" :) Also, much as I like underwear, I think I'd have to choose shoes as you did for the same reasons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if only SpongeBob and Patrick liked something more than crabby patties and jellyfish, they could toss out some funky story ideas lol!!!

      Delete
  9. I think everyone is occasionally attracted to their polar opposite. I think it speaks to seeing "how the other side" lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another thought provoking reason behind the oddball good/bad coupling. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. Queen Latifah... I can kind of see it. ;) The only "celebrity" I've ever been compared to looks-wise is Sarah Palin. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could "see" and "have" just a fraction of her money lol!!

      As for Palin, well, if you like her, it's a compliment. If you don't, it isn't an insult, just and interesting comparison :-) She's touted as being really pretty.

      Delete
  11. I met Brodi Ashton last week. She's awesome!

    And I totally can't help you on the A to Z thing. There's a reason I don't write romance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoped I'd get to meet her when she came here to Texas on tour. But, le sigh. Not meant to be. I'll still laugh like a hyena at her hi-jinks at her blog.

      Delete
  12. I'm definitely choosing shoes over undies (if I HAVE to!) . And New Zealand since, just like Alex, I would love to see the places where LOTR was filmed :-)
    Fabulous interview, Angela. I enjoyed learning more about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to share. It's funny, hadn't thought of myself as all that interesting :-)

      Delete
  13. The grass is always greener...so the good always find the bad quite exotic!

    Nice interview! Now that you mention it, you could be Queen Latifah's little sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lydia, how I wish I could be her little sister. Then again, talk about a seriously tough Hollywood shadow to live under. Nah, I'd be thrilled lol!!!

      Delete
  14. I love how honest you are, Angela. I just tell people I suck at writing, but that I'm trying. Ha!

    I don't think I could live in a fairy tale either. If it's too good to be true, it usually is, right?

    Oh, and I'd choose no underwear, too. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved your answers! Yep, true fairy tales were pretty brutal, so I wouldn't want to live in one either!
    Hm, the appeal of bad boys/girls? I think it's the old opposites attract. At least, that's what it was for me and my hubby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's the lure of the forbidden and maybe the challenge. Oh, and it also makes good fodder for writers :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Post it notes, really?! Wow, that would be tough! And I'd love to visit New Zealand someday too! Hmmm, as for good girls liking bad boys and vica versa, I'd have to say it's probably because of a desire to see how the other side lives.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why is it that good girls are attracted to bad boys? They want the sense of adventure that emanates from them, even if the actual adventure consists of piercing their nose and crying afterwards.
    Why is it that good boys are attracted to bad girls? They feel that they are standing on the edge of a cliff, and they are awaiting a whole lot of unfamiliar sensations :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, let's go to New Zealand. We can catch up on our TBR lists during the flight. I'm going to brave the A to Z challenge as well. Bad Boys usually have cool jackets.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.