Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blogging from A to Z - The Letter "A"

It isn't the monster of all challenges, but it isn't one to take lightly.  Because this is blogging everyday, with certain exceptions, this month will be light on the goal delivery.  For the next 26 letters, I want to take you into the minds of a few characters, see some interactions.  Maybe things develop into...more...
***Today, you meet Abigail.

Routine is what I am.  It's what I do.  Every morning, at the exact same time, I set myself up at the same Starbuck's.  All the workers know me by name and drink:  Abby, vente white chocolate mocha with an extra shot.

I need that extra shot.  I'm not very good with sleeping through the night.

For the past couple of weeks, I've noticed I'm not the only one with a routine.

He walks in, relaxes on the sofa near my chair and the scent of ripe apples tickle my nose.  There's a book, brown leather bound, that he holds tight to his chest.  An ancient smell leaks out when he opens the pages.  He always snaps his pen ready with a wince and scribbles word after word.  I try to ignore him, but how can I?  Sometimes his eyes leave the page and wander over to me.  I steal a glance, caught in the midnight sky of his gaze, beautiful, almond shaped, piercing, situated beneath thick brows and lashes that fan the wind with a blink.  He smiles.

I melt every time and just barely manage to turn my warmed cheeks from his sight.

Ridiculous.  Me for acting like a twelve year old.  No good when I'm all of seventeen years old.  Him for being...him.***

Hmmm...I wonder what will happen next?  Come on back to find out :-)

40 comments:

  1. Wow, your descriptions are written so beautifully! Looking forward to following you through the A-Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kyra. Writing out the tales of these characters with alphabetically inspired themes has been interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed the start of the A to Z fun here.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to read more - great idea for the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME start - and suddenly I need to fetch myself a coffee! Nice writing and happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. White chocolate mocha - not with the extra shot - happens to be one of my fave drinks from Starbucks lol!!

      Delete
  4. Great theme. Loved learning about Abigail. You do a great job showing us so much about her through the description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie. I'm glad people are enjoying the read. Hopefully some folks will be able to stop by each day to keep up with what happens next.

      Delete
  5. This is going to be a really interesting month...and what an excellent start. Abagail sounds like a gem of a character! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree DL. This A to Z blogging is going to be loads of fun and enlightening as well.

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous theme Angela!! I'm looking forward to reading more. Good luck and have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Raelyn. And I look forward to more of this fun all around.

      Delete
  7. Great theme! Looking forward to meeting the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deniz. The next post will share a bit about the fella mentioned here :-)

      Delete
  8. Oooh, nice! I definitely want to know more about the mystery man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Su. Please do come back tomorrow and you'll get to find out a bit about him :-)

      Delete
  9. Fun! Looking forward to getting to know more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely more to come. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. oh! This is fun! Can't wait to see what happens next :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your theme! and abigail is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I kind of like Abigail myself :-)

      Delete
  12. Abigail is awesome! Great writing, and awesome first A-Z post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, loved your scene. There's a mystery and a romance there - lethal combination. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lady Gwen. This is something of an experiment so I'm going to have fun with this blogging challenge.

      Delete
  14. Very interesting! I hope we're going to hear more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely, Susanna. There will be more Abigail to come.

      Delete
  15. Wonderful characterization -- can't wait to learn more. We are going to learn more, right? (or is each day going to be a separate story?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Beth. This is going to be an an ongoing affair that begins with our darling, Abigail, and will soon include our mystery man...along with certain complications that may come their way.

      Delete
  16. Nice to meet Abigail! Sometimes, I need that extra shot of espresso too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do stick around and you'll find out why Abigail needs that extra shot of espresso :-)

      Delete
  17. Fabulous voice here! I love your theme for the blogfest. Sounds like you're going to be having lots of fun this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be fun for me but we'll see how things go with Abigail and our mystery man.

      Delete
  18. What a cool overall theme! I'm looking forward to the interactions!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm wimping out on A-Z, but I love this line: "...caught in the midnight sky of his gaze, beautiful, almond shaped, piercing, situated beneath thick brows and lashes that fan the wind with a blink."

    ReplyDelete
  20. Angela, How did I miss out on your posts for A to Z? I'm even a follower before the Challenge. I have backtracked to the beginning, and am so glad I did.
    This is awesome! I felt completely tugged into the scene. In my younger years, I've had those across-the-room moments. I love this: "Sometimes his eyes leave the page and wander over to me." And your sensory imagery is wonderful. I am anxious to read on (which I will do right now) and find out more about the mystery behind Abigail and this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a great beginning you hook your reader to be sure


    Inspired by Emily Dickinson today!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.