Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Letter "C" - Cover Reveal!!! To Ride a Puca by Heather McCorkle and a Confession

Please check out something that is quite the beauty, especially if you love horses.  Before we dive into another episode of A to Z blogging, I've invited Heather over to share the cover for her latest YA writerly masterpiece of fantasy and magic.  Take it away Heather :-)

Heather: I'm so excited to share the cover of my young adult historical fantasy novel, To Ride A Púca, with you. I've been waiting for so long to reveal the news and the cover that it's been driving me crazy! This novel is special to me, as many of you know, because it felt like my heart and soul has gone into it. It isn't a part of the channeler series, though it is a tie-in novel as it's about one of Eren's ancestors. This is a stand alone of a very different flavor and I hope you love it as much as I do.

Here is a bit about it:



Invaders are coming to take what isn't theirs, again.



Neala wants to stand and fight for her homeland, but as one of the last druids, she may be standing alone.



Persecuted, hunted down, forced to live in obscurity, the druids have all but given up. Can the determination of a girl who has barely come into her power bring them together? Or, just when she finally finds her place among her kind, will they end up losing a homeland their very magic is tied to?


This novel is intended for mature teens and adults as it contains some difficult subject matter. 

I had to throw that warning in because I had one person who was disturbed by some of the subject matter in The Secret Of Spruce Knoll. To Ride A Púca is a much darker novel than Spruce Knoll and will certainly not be appropriate for some readers. Slavery, oppression, and violent situations are within this novel. It certainly falls under the dark YA catagory. But it is also about hope, love, and belonging. It releases this May! To add this novel to your Goodreads lists click here. To pre-order a signed hardback (to ship at the end of May), click here.

****Thank you so much Heather for allowing me the pleasure of sharing this cover reveal with everyone.  It is very beautiful and quite breath taking.

And now, here is Abigail in Confession:


I make my way across the cobblestone walkway, my mini laptop sliding about in the side satchel hanging diagonally across my body.

It is time.

I do not stop to tap a finger into the Holy water or to cross myself before the crucifix way down at the altar.  I'm sure Father Quanon is here.  I slip into the small booth.  Clear my throat twice.  The small veiled, square between me and the priest on the other side slides open.  A mesh screen is all that remains of the opening.

"Shall I bless you, child, for you have sinned?" comes the familiar voice.  I follow the code.

"Blessings are for the living.  I am but a vessel."

He chuckles softly.  "You are the best vessel among the Cleansers.  How are your weapons holding up?"

I pull the billowy sleeves up both arms, eyeing my marks as best I can beneath the dim light of the booth.  Scriptures wind around and about my arms up to my shoulders.  Shield.  Bow.  Arrows.  Other combat items inked on my skin bear a dull tone.  Lots of use of late.  "I could use a touch up."

I'm normally chatty, telling my mentor of my encounters during the midnight hour when the worlds between the living and dead are most volatile, souls ripe for harvesting.  As a Cleanser, I locate the tormented and lost, place them on the path to The Gates where they can face judgement.  But sometimes, hell hounds tangle things up as they try to round up these souls for Harvestors, servants of Drakar of the underworld.

The quiet doesn't go unnoticed.  "Something is wrong.  Isn't it?"

My thoughts are heady, the scent of apples, his presence.  Should I tell Father Quanon the truth now or wait for him to find out through his own efforts?  That last option sounds like a lot of trouble for me.  Being enamored with this boy is not allowed, not as a Cleanser.  I took my own life.  Almost.  Suspended in between worlds long enough to return...unique.  This is my penance. Guider of souls to the one place I've damned myself from ever getting to.  Love, attachments, they are not for one such as me.  But I tell him.  "There is a boy - "

"Don't go any further," Father Quanon says, cutting me off.  "There is no boy and there will be no boy.  Not for you.  I'm sorry.  But you are a Cleanser.  Don't let me hear you say - or think - those words again."  The opening slams shut.  The other door creaks open and closes.  Muffled footsteps echo away.

I am left alone with my thoughts, memories of training where love should have been pushed away.  As the boy I'm not supposed to think about crosses my mind, I realize I hadn't pushed those emotions deep enough or far enough.

There is a boy.  And I don't know what to do.
*****

Basil's not supposed to feel and she's not supposed to love.  Le sigh, what are they to do?

52 comments:

  1. Beautiful image of that dark horse! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover Heather. So excited for your new book. And thanks for sharing the bit about Abigail. We learn a lot about the story from that one scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great cover. And there's more to come with this story.

      Delete
  3. That's a gorgeous, gorgeous cover.

    ---Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012
    Amlokiblogs

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that cover! it really draws me in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love the cover, and I love the excerpt from your story. The detailed work on her arms, the depths of her feelings . . .very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tyrean. I love that cover as well and even when I wrote this snippet about Abigail, it kind of left me pained for her.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the feature! And wow girl, what a powerful scene, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure to have you here as always :-)

      Glad you enjoyed the scene.

      Delete
  7. No love? Yikes. Great snippet -- can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, kind of harsh being a Cleanser.

      Delete
  8. cover reveal is a great C word! And what a beautiful cover:) congrats!

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you here to share in the cover reveal. It is a beauty.

      Delete
  9. Heather's cover is awesome - I posted it on my blog, too. Loved your confession scene - very foreboding - what's gonna happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, tomorrow will be another day of unearthing a thing or two about the folks involved in this ongoing tale.

      Delete
  10. Tres Sheik! Basil is a fantastic character, and you're weaving great emotion into her! Also, your description is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the great emotions you portrayed in the scene. And I've been seeing that cover around--hope it does well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you had a chance to come by and check out the cover and the scene.

      Delete
  12. Wow, that's a haunting cover for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eerily gorgeous cover. Its dark tone is a wonderful complement to your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Cate, looking at both again, I hadn't realized that dark tone flowed from one to the other. Hmmm...

      Delete
  14. Love the excerpt!!! I'm not a horse person, but I'm digging this cover :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. It's something about the wildness of the mane, the one eye covered. Just beautiful.

      Delete
  15. This world sounds very interesting! I hope this Cleanser is allowed to be with her boy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deniz. We'll just have to see what the other letters hold :-)

      Delete
  16. Ooo, very interesting world!

    And I've seen you are the blogosphere so much I can't believe I wasn't following you!!

    My bad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! No prob :-) Glad to have you following now. Glad you enjoyed today's post.

      Delete
  17. Great cover. Yay horses!

    Also - I tagged you in a post. Ch-ch-check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Phil! Hopping over to ch-ch-check it out lol!!!

      Delete
  18. Me like horses too. This might sound weird, but I'm fascinated with their bum. The first time I ever touched a horse it was that particular body part I paid attention too. It's so big, muscular and smooth, I loved it. AHAHA.

    I bet you find me strange, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! No, won't say strange. Unique is a much better word :-)

      Delete
  19. Great stuff!!!
    And you're right - that cover is beautiful. I love it. The story sounds really good too. I'm going to have to look into this one more! Glad you shared. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. The story sounds like it will be very good indeed.

      Delete
  20. Great C idea. Love the cover and the premise of the story sounds very cool and original. I'm doing the A to Z as well. Off to check out your A and B.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Leslie. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice cover. I liked the excerpt too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather's cover for her story is very beautiful. Glad you enjoyed my little A to Z piece as well.

      Delete
  23. Yay! Great idea for a 'C' post! Congratuations, Heather! Love the cover! Horses are always a win for me!

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J.C. It was wonderful having Heather team up with me today.

      Delete
  24. Isn't it a gorgeous cover? I'm reading Channeler's Choice right now. So, this book is darker than Mockingjay? O_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Mockingjay, though I have it, so I'm not sure just how dark that makes the book. But when a disclaimer is added, it's usually a responsible move on the author's part to prepare the reader for some dark material.

      Delete
  25. The dark cover add to the mystery and intrigue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. The cover lets the reader know the story has some dark punch to it.

      Delete
  26. Great cover! Also, druids are always a plus :)


    Jamie Gibbs
    Fellow A-Z Buddy
    Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is a gorgeous cover! Will have to put this on my to-read list . . .

    and I love your little Confession excerpt, very fascinating!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.