Thursday, April 5, 2012

Letter "E" - Ego

Drakar tossed me into the pits without a second glance.  Basil, his most faithful servant.  The first night I didn't make my quota.  Some Cleanser, covered from head to toe in a scarlet cloak, vanquished my hellhounds and took away my score of souls.  A score!  Have you any idea what it takes to round up twenty souls in one night?  Isn't as easy as you think, let me tell you.  But I've been the best for the past month.  The best, I tell you!  But once again, my ego got the better of me.  Hell, my ego is why I'm here in the first place.  I always had to be the best.  Number one in track and field in high school.  Valedictorian of my class.  What my parents wanted most, I tried to oblige, so I went to seminary school.  I struggled.  Miserably.  I wasn't number one anymore.  Ate me up inside.  Until...

Doesn't matter anymore.  For the purpose of satisfying my ego, I made a choice.  A bad one I've regretted for a decade.  As an immortal Harvestor, I have an eternity to torture myself with regret.  Only sane thought I have is that girl.  Vente white chocolate mocha, extra shot.  When I get out of here, I think I'll ask for her name.

Wait.  Stop it!  I've got to get my head right.  I'm not supposed to, ugh...feel.  What's wrong with me?  Why can't I get her off my mind?

I better.  If Drakar finds out...

I don't even want to think about what would happen if he finds out.
*****

Poor Basil.  Choices do have consequences.

29 comments:

  1. I see the saga of the Harvesters of Souls continues. I suppose he'll learn eventually that he's not allowed to feel, but will Drakar find out what's going on and make him pay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.L., I love the way your mind works :-)

      As the drama unfolds, we'll have to see what choices Basil, our Harvestor of souls, makes given Drakar is a mean, mean thing.

      Delete
  2. Fantasy with a modern brain. Interesting. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After one bad choice! Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some decisions just come with a much higher price...way higher price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twenty souls in one night - well done! Except the getting caught part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, having them yanked didn't make for a good night.

      Delete
  6. Poor thing, sounds like his ego has really done a number on him:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it makes one really keep closer to the humble side of life.

      Delete
  7. Interesting...Wonder if that is how all demons feel? I am sure they are all working hard to harvest souls...
    Good post. Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruby. I'll be honest, I truly wouldn't want to make a deal with Drakar and find out.

      Delete
  8. I agree with Elana. These have been top notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blogging challenge really has been more fun than even I knew it would be.

      Delete
  9. nice job! hope things work out well! but for who? hmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be or not to be happy...who will answer this question...and which way?

      Delete
  10. Nice job! Can't wait to see where Basil's attraction leads him? Maybe he doesn't have to be a harvester?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I hope Drakar doesn't find out. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if he does, oh my, what will he do? *shivers*

      Delete
  12. So... this is your only A-Z post I've read so far (I've fallen behind and decided to go ahead and read today's so I won't fall behind any more) but I'm guessing you're doing some kind of continuing story... This will make more sense if I go back won't it?

    So I will. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brooke. Yes, I'm doing a continuing story, sort of episodic, like a blog opera, I guess lol!!!

      Delete
  13. wow, I am really liking this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry I haven't visited earlier. I need to go back and get caught up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a horrible state to be in after making the wrong choice. I wonder what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Angela,
    This needs to be a book. I am absolutely invested in your story. Are you going to turn this into a novel or novella?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been getting some great feedback so, yes, I'm going to make this a full novel/novella.

      Delete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.