Saturday, April 7, 2012

Letter "G" - Greetings

What started with a blush grew to a desire forbidden.  I am a Cleanser.  Love was not mine to have.

And yet, I longed for it.

The person I thought of constantly hadn't shown for a few days.  Warmth seeped from my heart each day he did not show.  I had no way to reach out to him.  Not even a name.

Until today.

He entered the coffee shop, leather bound book clutched against his chest.  His normal calm radiated with more solemn quietude.  The midnight eyes that held me bound practically called out to me as he leveled his gaze at me in passing.  He slouched onto the couch.  Tired.  So much like a lost soul.  The pull was too much.

"Hi."  I found myself leaning against the arm of the couch, wondering when I'd gotten up in the first place.

He turned to me.  There were those eyes again, brightening as he looked at me.  The corner of his lips lifted ever so slightly, as though he fought a smile.  "Hey to you, too.  Been meaning to say something to you.  But you're so pretty and all."  A tinge grazed his cheeks as his smile blossomed.  Beautiful teeth and deep dimples.

My hair could have caught on fire at that moment and I wouldn't have known.  He thought I was pretty.  Of course, he couldn't see the sleeves of tattoos, scores of battle scars or my Cleanser's mark.  Long sleeve shirts did wonders to hide a girl's secrets.  Again, my lips moved before my mind could check the words.  "I'm so plain looking."  As usual, the first to down myself.  But I followed with, "You're very sweet to say that, though."  My turn for blood to flood my face and warm my cheeks as I smiled and looked away from him.

The furniture rustled.  From the corner of my eye, I noticed he placed the book by his side and stood up, his hand out to me.  Half a foot taller than me.  Broad shoulders.  The scent of apples called.  My heart stutter-stepped.  But I managed to put my hand in his.

"I'm Basil.  You're Abby, right?"

My grip tightened.  His smile faltered.  So did mine.  "How do you know my name?"  Training kicked in and I was ready to pounce.

"I noticed your name on your cup as I came in."

I could have kicked myself.  I stuffed my paranoia aside and let myself be something I didn't know how to be before I tried to take my own life.  A simple girl.

"Sorry, about the hand thing.  You know, can't be too careful."  I loosened my grip but he brought his other hand up to mine.  Soft.  Gentle.

"No apologies needed.  I'd be concerned if someone just knew my name as well.  Would you mind joining me on the couch?  It's what I've wanted to ask you since I first saw you.  Just hadn't worked up the nerves, until now."

I slid down beside him, leaving my things where they were.  No one would bother them anyway.  He held my hand as we talked.  Topics from music to movies.  It was the longest I'd ever stayed at Starbucks.  And I loved every moment.
**************

A Cleanser and a Harvestor.  Maybe they can work?

29 comments:

  1. ANGELA!!! this is so AWESOME. I need to know more. What is a Cleanser? Harvestor? so so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! So glad you enjoyed their exchange, Cristina. Actually, they don't realize it, but they are enemies. Abby is a Cleanser for Heaven while Basil is a Harvestor for Hell.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I see romance in the future...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see what will happen between these two.

      Delete
  3. Do you have this whole thing written? It is really good! and yes! It will be interesting to see what happens between those two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I still have several letters to go so I honestly have no idea how this is going to end...or if it will have an ending. Who knows? This could be the beginning of something I hadn't planned for or even thought about.

      Delete
  4. There's truth in that exchange - we're usually too nervous to say something first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I fall into the "too nervous" category regularly.

      Delete
    2. I'm more of a "too scared" person. Or is that the same thing?

      Delete
    3. Hmmm...They may be in the same category :-)

      Delete
  5. I haven't been commenting every day, but I've been reading, Angela! I am loving your writing and this story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Susanna. Comments are nice but I truly hope anyone that comments or lurks enjoys these A to Z blogging posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a sweet encounter. I echo Cristina. Cleansers and Harvestors sound so intriguing!

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is interesting. I may have to consider what to do with these Harvestors and Cleansers. I had some tiny shinies but maybe more could come of this.

      Delete
  8. Woah, awesome! The whole idea of Cleansers and Harvestors sounds so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous exchange Angela. Boy, do I hope you run with this story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Raelyn, I've had a few ideas but I'm getting more and more into the thought this could be a little more than a blog opera.

      Delete
  10. Awesome! You are so talented! This is wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...Leigh. Now I'm just a bubble of blushing kiddo over here. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  11. Angela, good job showing the attraction between these two.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a new follower from the AtoZ Challenge. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by. Nice to meet you as well :-)

      Delete
  13. I finished reading with a big awwww. It's good that she is happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you enjoyed it. Now the question is, will things stay this way for Abigail and Basil....hmmm...

      Delete
  14. Oh, THE moment. THE moment. I'm really enjoying this story.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.