Monday, April 9, 2012

Letter "H" - Handler

Three hundred years have I done this, recruited the talent, molded it to the will of the Society, led it on its course of Cleansing, of guiding the lost and distraught souls to The Gates.  I've been lucky to work with wonderful Cleansers, none quite as successful as Abby.

Elders steepled their hands before me. seated in their high backed chairs, robes and hoods to hide their faces while I sat ten feet below the dais, held prisoner to their scrutiny.  I'd never felt this way before.  A prisoner.  Scrutinized.  I'd always opened my mind so that Cleanser confessions could be recorded for the Society's records.

For once, I didn't want them to hear Abby's words, her tone of voice when she referred to the boy.  I didn't want them to see me skulking like a rat to spy on my Cleanser.

A handler...spying on their Cleanser.  Pathetic.

What I saw made things worse.  In the coffee shop, she sat beside something.  It was no more a normal boy than any I'd ever seen.  He wore the shell but more lurked beneath the skin.  Abby - she was too far gone on things she was NOT supposed to feel to notice. I clinched my jaw as this last memory replicated and the reproduction slithered out my mouth like glittering vapor in the darkened room.

"Father Quanon," a soft female voice called from the dais, "this is most disturbing.  Do you know what this means?"

"Yes."  I nodded, despite the fact my verbal response was all they needed.

"Two more times, Handler.  Two more instances where we can record a moment of such disobedience to our ways and there will be an inquiry."  Her voice remained soft, gentle even, but the implications of her words were not lost on me.

A shudder shook my body.  I coughed to mask it.  If only I had been able to mask that memory.
***********************************

Elders?  A Society?  Memories that can be claimed?  Sure hope Father Quanon can make sure Abby doesn't reach disobedience number three.

38 comments:

  1. Ooo, very powerful. Love that voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelley. I better get going on finishing the letters to see where this blog opera will go.

      Delete
  2. Powerful. You do have a gift for Voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm humbled...thank you, Huntress. I just try to let them speak. They do a much better job when I get out of the way :-)

      Delete
  3. This gets darker as you go, Angela. Wonderful! Such great emotion conveyed in your characters. My heart already goes out to poor Abby - and this poor creature, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. It's not exactly one that's aiming for an HEA but I haven't finished yet so I'm not sure how this will end.

      Delete
  4. His personality just shines through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. Each post is an exercise for me so that I can apply better writing to my manuscripts.

      Delete
  5. She sounds like she's in trouble! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, she's gotten herself into a bit of a conondrum.

      Delete
  6. Intriguing, and really, really well written. I'm drawn in for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now he's forced to betray her. Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but if he hadn't followed her, he wouldn't have the memory for them to pluck it from him. A catch 22 sort of thing, I suppose.

      Delete
  8. Fascinating. I really want to read more and find out what's going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. I've got more letters to come with this blog opera so feel free to stick around and check more out. :-)

      Delete
  9. Powerful love, and a trainer who is trying his best to help his trainee! Great story . . . I love getting these little pieces every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tyrean. Yeah, I wanted to add a little more dimension to the story. Give Father Quanon a little more in the blog opera.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like it's moving toward a pivotal moment. Really enjoyed this, especially trying to figure out the cleansers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. You're right. It's building some momentum now.

      Delete
  11. Your writing is so fluid Angela! It really flows! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Thanks DL. This A to Z blogging has really helped a lot.

      Delete
  12. Ooh, very intriguing. Great voice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, these are so good! Will be back tomorrow for more!

    My A-Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. "I" has a tiny something in store, a little introspection, so to speak.

      Delete
  14. Love that line "he wore the shell..." !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very telling line, the fact that Father Quanon could tell he was no ordinary boy.

      Delete
  15. Nice story...very Orwellian. Guess I am here til the end now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chuck. And you are welcome here :-)

      Delete
  16. You are building this story into a powerful, multidimensional tale. I feel there will be so much to explore on all the pages that follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Each letter has given me a chance to challenge myself, try to write something that pours from my heart for and about the characters...and from the characters themselves.

      Delete
  17. Sounds intense! Love the tension there.


    Jamie
    Fellow A-Z Bloggy Buddy
    Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm enjoying this serial very much. can't wait to learn what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like Abby's playing with fire. Will she get a reprimand or a disciplinary first?

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.