Thursday, April 12, 2012

Letter "K" - Killing Me Softly

No one looks Drakar directly in the eyes.  Not out of reverence.  It's flat out fear.  Emptiness, death and decay fill his eye sockets.  Yet he can see so much.

Too much.

"There are mumblings among the ranks," he said, gesturing me forward.  He's called me to his relaxation room before to congratulate me.  None of those times started with these words.  Seated in a pool of flames covering his demonic form up to his chest, bat-like wings half-stretched, he is evil incarnate.

"What might those be, master?"  Not that I wanted to know.

"You are distracted.  Barely making quota.  And it's because of a girl."

"I wouldn't allow such a thing to happen, not behind some human.  This is just a poor soul season.  I will return to my splendor, milord."  How the hell did he know?

"She is not what you think.  Her arms 'bare' the truth."  He sneered at his own little private joke, continuing, "Now fall to the second circle of Hell.  The pits await you for your incompetence."  He waved his taloned hand dismissively.

I settle on a stone, the pits worse than ever, his words killing me softly, doubt gnawing at the little bit of humanity that remains, doubts about my Abby.*****

I still want to punch Drakar.  I know, I know.  Violence is not always the answer...but boy would it sure feel good :-)

24 comments:

  1. oh no, so is he stuck on the second circle? will he be able to see Abby again? sooo many questions.. phew! good thing we're not done with the alphabet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, more alphabets to come. And yeah, we'll have to see what each letter brings.

      Delete
  2. Punch him! Right in the kisser! Yah, it might be the last punch you ever throw so make sure it's a good one!
    Wow, Angela, that's some fine writing there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! You're right. It would be the last punch I'd ever throw. Then, it would be over. I highly doubt Drakar would stand some puny human taking a shot at him.

      Delete
  3. Love the subtle use of the words 'Killing Me Softly' in the title - and their placement within the piece. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nadja. I also love the song with this title as well.

      Delete
  4. great dialogue. You have a real talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Huntress. Your compliment honors me.

      Delete
  5. Nice dialogue and I think it's funny and clever that his boss has flames surrounding him in his "relaxation" room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tyrean. Drakar is the devil. Got to let him have some fire.

      Delete
  6. Well that sucks. What happened, not your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! I got you, Alex. Sadly, what happened is Drakar being, well, Drakar. A Harvestor out of line must suffer the pits of hell as punishment until Drakar says so.

      Delete
  7. Why not punch him, you are technically his creator. You made him powerful but you can also make him grovel... betting he knows this and just isn't letting on;)

    *~ MAJK ~*
    Twitter @safireblade
    A to Z Blog Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MAJK, I think you're on to something there :-)

      Delete
  8. Your writing intrigues me, Angela. I'm going to scroll back and read what I've missed so far. Happy A to Zing.

    Patricia Stoltey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this post and hope you enjoy any others you get to read as well. Happy A to Zing to you as well :-)

      Delete
  9. Ooh, that's great tension! Wonder what she's doing now?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a meanie, sending him to the second pit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great piece, Angela.

    In my mind I'm thinking, "Do it, do it, do it," egging him on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tension just keeps mounting. This is great. I love the line: "No one looks Drakar directly in the eyes."

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.