Friday, April 13, 2012

Letter "L" - Laying Bare the Truth

Her soul called to me as I opened the coffee shop door.  She sat in the same spot as always.  Laptop open.  Sparkling smile. Beautiful face.  Only now did I realize she's always worn long sleeves.

"Why?" I asked, standing beside her chair.  Not hey, hello, how are you.

Her smile faltered.  "Uh, I missed you yesterday."

"Please answer my question."  The doubts nagged at me like a thousand needles stabbing at my heart.

"Fine," she said, hands up in surrender.  "Why what?"

"The sleeves.  All the time.  No matter how it feels outside.  Long.  Why?"

Her eyes narrowed, smile completely gone.  A fierce blush flooded her cheeks.  "I - well - I just like long sleeves is all."

"Can I see them?  Your arms, I mean."  I had to know what Drakar meant.  What truth will her arms bare?

Sweat beaded her forehead.  She sucked her bottom lip in.  Nervous.  What is it?  With trembling fingers, she slowly slid her sleeves up.  "Tattoos," she said.  "Most people tend to judge me because they don't understand them."

I knew that ink work alright.  The marks of a Cleanser.  My heart belonged to my enemy.
**********

Now that he's discovered the truth, what will Basil do?

20 comments:

  1. oh my gosh.. I have the chills.. I was feeling the tension right along with him. What will he do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letters to come will tell. But he has some choices to make.

      Delete
  2. He's going to do something stupid. Isn't that what all of us guys do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! Alex, man, you crack me up. But we'll see what Basil does. It will depend on your definition of stupid though :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh my, the tension... Angela, this is amazing. I really, really hope you work this into a full blown story. I want to buy it...like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Raelyn. I wasn't sure what I would do with this. But the more people read, the more people like. I'm trying to decide if I should try to make this a self-publish endeavor or go with seeking a publisher for it once I put together a full-blown version of this.

      Delete
    2. You could do both. Go check out Kait Nolan's posts about her YA Red. She indie published while shopping it traditionally. Not sure if she had any bites traditionally, I believe it's still available as an indie.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! I didn't see that one coming. Love this excerpt, so insightful and I was drawn right in. Great use of emotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. Doing these daily bits has been helpful. I'm trying to improve my writing everyday.

      Delete
  5. Strong last words. She's in love with the enemy. Can't wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each letter to come has more to share. His reaction being one of those things.

      Delete
  6. Plot twist! I'm still totally in love with this idea as your A-Z challenge theme. What a great writing exercise too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! Got to keep you guessing. I'm glad you enjoy the theme. It really is a great way to do writing exercises.

      Delete
  7. Arghh! I want to know the answer to that last question too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the $64,000 question. Actually, I could that amount of money LOL!!!!

      Delete
  8. Oh, no! What's going to happen now? Waiting impatiently....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aha! Another A-Z serial ;-)

    Although, when I landed here on the blog-hop today, this post could almost stand alone as flash fiction - did she hide her arms within sleeves because of self-harming? Or perhaps she had some skin-disfiguring condition? Endless possibilities.....Well done!

    SueH I refuse to go quietly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some marvelous A to Z serials going on. And for this character, she has tattoos, a lot of them...very special ink involved.

      Delete
  10. Great use of sleeves. Something so simple can pull us in so completely.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.