Saturday, April 14, 2012

Letter "M" - Mistaken

Code words exchanged.  Confession almost over.

"By the way, Father Quanon.  You were right.  There was no boy."  After showing him my tattoos, Basil turned and left without a word.  The following day, he didn't show up.  That was hint enough for me.  He was always too clean cut anyway.  I should have known better.

"Really?"

"Don't sound so surprised."  My voice cracked.  A twisting, branching fissure folded my heart in on itself each time I remembered the pained expression on Basil's face before he pivoted out of my life.  Fitting, as I continued, "I was mistaken.  Cleansers aren't meant for love.  Right?  Anyway, any special orders from the Society?  I'd like to start looking into my transfer option."  I couldn't handle seeing Basil.  Not like this.

"Nothing.  No.  You're, you can, I guess I would just miss you," he said, stumbling over his words more than I'd ever heard.

"No attachments," I answered, giggling, forcing the joke.  He chuckled then sighed.  That felt better.  I left the confession booth, letting the door muffle close behind me.

xxxxx

Father Quanon hadn't the heart to tell Abby the truth.  He'd followed her two more times.  Two more times the Elders plucked his memory.  Three times disobedience.  Too late she'd ended things.  He still sat in the confession booth an hour later, staring at the Society's orders to present Abby to them.  An inquisition had been called.  His heart ached at having made the biggest mistake of all.  Not because she'd cared for the boy, but because he realized how much he'd grown to care for her, too.****

Uh oh.  Now who's admitting to forbidden emotions?

22 comments:

  1. oohhhh!!!!!!!! poor Father Quanon... and poor Abby. I can't wait for the next time she sees Basil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny, or not so funny part, is that I hadn't intended to have Father Quanon have feelings. It just happened.

      Delete
  2. Forbidden emotions are always so intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like their society needs a bit of an upheaval in the emotions department . . . go Abby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be an aversion to attachments in the Society.

      Delete
  4. The only problem with reading so many A-Z posts is that I'm getting all the continuing stories mixed up in my head. I want to know more about the relationship though, will she allow her mission to prevent her from getting love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. There is a zombie one that i have to make sure to re-read sometimes lol!!! As for mission vs love...we'll have to letters tell the tale. :-)

      Delete
    2. Could you perhaps give me the link to that story, Angela? 0-0

      Delete
  5. Love it when a character sneaks up on me like that :) Poor Father Quanon. Definitely looks like this world is due for some upheaval! Way to go Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Raelyn. Different things happening with each of these characters :-)

      Delete
  6. Now I think I'm getting confused. I thought the one narrating the story loved Abby? Or are they one in the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basil, the Harvestor, servant to Drakar of Hell, loves Abby. But Father Quanon also loves her. He's the one who recruited her and trained her to be a Cleanser. This is the first acknowledgement of his feelings for her.

      Delete
  7. Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z challenge...lovely blog...good luck with the challenge!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my post :-)

      Delete
  8. Coming through here by way of the A to Z. Lovely write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just have to say that you have been amazingly dedicated to these posts! It's really, really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enter more forbidden emotions...and isn't that what great stories are made of?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy, there's always some jerk to squash those hidden emotions!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.