Monday, April 16, 2012

Letter "N" - Nevermore

I wanted to hate her for the lies.  But I couldn't.  I was no better.  At least she was helping souls. I breathed the tormented things into me, bled them out on Nevermore then handed the pages over to Drakar.

I was hateworthy!

And I was so tired of everything being all about me.  That's what got me here in the first place.  Me and my ego. I'd had twenty four whole hours to enjoy my new ranking at the seminary when, of all things, a drunk driver hopped the curb and ended my life.  How freak-accident is that?  Having made a deal with the devil, I suppose it was my just desserts.

Nevermore sat on my bedside table, untouched since the day I walked away from Abby.
Nevermore, my link to Hell.  Not a day passed by without it in my hands at some point.
Nevermore, my short leash to Drakar, a choking reminder of being a Harvestor.  He would reach out again.  The excuse of something ill plaguing my human form wouldn't work much longer.

I slipped from bed, showered and dressed, then headed toward the door to find Abby.  It was time I found out what I could be without Nevermore.*******

Looks like Basil has chosen love.  Stay tuned for what may come.  The suspense is thrilling me :-)

32 comments:

  1. Love this story, Angela! I've been keeping up with your daily installments, and each one just keeps me intrigued. Your writing is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tyrean. I've really enjoyed this A to Z challenge. Doing this blog opera has been wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Love the very first line. Riveting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. Glad you enjoyed it :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Maybe they can save each other...we'll see what the letters reveal.

      Delete
  4. ooh! the suspense is thrilling me too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the sad or good part is that I still haven't finished the letters so I can't even pretend to know how things will go :-)

      Delete
  5. Your scenes are always so emotional and leave me wanting to read more! It's thrilling me, too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lady Gwen. This daily blog opera has been rewarding, sharing this with all of you, my wonderful peeps :-)

      Delete
  6. Love that line. The suspense is 'thrilling' me! I agree :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelley. So much to wonder about.

      Delete
  7. Oh, very suspenseful! I just hopped over from the A-Z challenge, and found your blog. Now I have to go back and start reading this little tidbit from the beginning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came by. Hope you enjoy the other posts as well. Thank you so much :-)

      Delete
  8. Suspense brings spice into our lives :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh...flavor in the thrill. I like :-)

      Delete
  9. Love!! But I knew I would love anything you wrote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep thinking of your A to Z posts as a kind of NaNoWriMo in April, where you craft a certain number of words per day and end the month with half a novel. It's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. You know, that is a very good idea. I may do something like that for next year should I participate in A to Z again...which is looking very promising since I'm having a wonderful time with it.

      Delete
  11. Oh all these threads tangling up. So intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're enjoying the daily drama :-)

      Delete
  12. Ooh, what is a Nevermore? It sounds like some sort of object. An amulet, maybe, but I can't help thinking it's in the shape of a raven, thanks to Poe's poem! :)

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermore is Basil's soul collecting journal. Using a special pen, he's able to poor the souls he collected the night before into the journal and gives the pages to Drakar, who then devours them.

      Delete
  13. The suspense is killing ME! Love the word 'hateworthy'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. That is a very strong word, hateworthy.

      Delete
  14. The suspense is thrilling me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letters will tell what will happen. I guess I better get a move on finishing them lol!!!

      Delete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.