Thursday, April 19, 2012

Letter "Q" - Questions

Time stood still.  Midnight sky eyes snared my attention.  The pained expression he held upon seeing my tattoos, it's now replaced by a look of...peace?

I fought my feet's glee to run and throw myself into an embrace I knew he'd openly give to me.  Each stutter-step brought me closer.  Closer.  Apples.  My stomach pretzeled into a knot, a hunger no food could satisfy.  We haven't even kissed...just his presence fills me with everything beautiful.  Damn it!  I'm supposed to be done with him, angered by him...and my body betrays me.  My heart flutters traitorously.  It's all maddening, confusing...and exciting.  Because he came back.

His lips curved ever so slightly.  His fingers twitched.  Nervous, maybe fighting his own desire to reach out for me and hold me close.

I stopped a foot from him or I wouldn't be able to speak.  "What do you want?"  What the heck was that weak, whimpering sound?  Where was the conviction in my tone???

"You."  A one word answer, his voice husky.

Tears burned the back of my eyes.  Something wet defied my will and trickled down my cheek.  If my heart galloped any faster it would bolt right out my chest.  "Why did you walk away like that?  How could you?"  Ridiculous!  Even with the strength of fire flowing through my veins, pulsing beneath my marks, covered by my cloak, my Cleanser training crumbled, leaving me...just a girl.

"I was stunned.  It was unfair."  He undid the top three buttons of his shirt, pulling fabric aside, exposing a horizontal infinity mark with a shadowy butterfly trapped in the middle.

I gasped and stepped back.  "You!  A Harvestor?"  Time sped up and slammed into my senses.  I stumbled forward into his arms.  The pained expression from showing him my tattoos made sense.  I looked up into his face.  So at peace.  "You know what I am."  A statement, not a question.

His sweet breath warmed by cheeks as he said, "Yes."  He shivered, fixing his gaze with mine.  "I love you, Abby."

A lump blocked my throat.  I couldn't breathe, think, nothing.  So...I dropped everything...

And ran.*****

Whaaaat??  Now I have a million more questions.

36 comments:

  1. Thanks, Angela, for stopping by my blog. Lovely post you have hear...it makes me want to read more! Good luck in the A to Z Challenge...

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. Glad to have you stop by as well :-)

      Delete
  2. I have goosebumps all over!!!!!!!

    when all he says is "You" i seriously got chocked up. LOL ..... Abby and Basil are one of my favorite characters EVER! I can't wait for you to make this a full length novel because I'm so interested in knowing more about what their lives as Harvesters and Cleansers are like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made my day, Cristina. So glad you're enjoying my little blog opera.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Every day is a new letter, a new writing exercise and a new challenge.

      Delete
  4. Favorite sentence...
    'My stomach pretzeled into a knot..'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. And do use it if you'd like :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Keep going, keep going! Fab stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Talli. So glad you're enjoying it.

      Delete
  6. Noooo! I mean, yes, it's awesome writing, but no I don't want her to run, but then yes, it makes sense given the shock of his revelation to her . . . you've got me hooked on your story. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! I'm humbled. Thank you so much. I'm thrilled you're enjoying the daily posts.

      Delete
  7. Oh no, I want them to kiss and love and be together. WHAT! I want to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll just have to see what the next letter holds. :-)

      Delete
  8. :shiver: Brilliant Angela, simply brilliant! It's almost torture to have to wait for the next installment. This just keeps getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blush*

      I'm so thrilled you've been enjoying each little episode, Raelyn.

      Delete
  9. She ran??? Why do women have to play hard to get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in our nature, Alex. The good ones are always worth the chase :-)

      Delete
  10. I sure have enjoyed reading the A-Z posts! You'll just have to start over at 'AA'...so it'll continue. : ) More...more...more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, with the wonderful encouragement I've received, I've decided to take the characters of this challenge, their issues and interactions, and turn them into a novella or maybe a full novel.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Star-crossed love is like that. Le sigh :-)

      Delete
  12. Loving this! Will it end with the challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying it :-) I will be turning these episodes into a novel so there will be that.

      Delete
  13. Hey! I took a week off from blogging to stay with my father in Chicago. I've got all your posts from last week saved up to read, but I peeked and read this one today!! Have I told you lately, that I love the way you write?? "My stomach pretzeled into a knot, a hunger no food could satisfy." & "Even with the strength of fire flowing through my veins, pulsing beneath my marks, covered by my cloak, my Cleanser training crumbled, leaving me...just a girl."

    Lovin' it, woman!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool beans! Glad you were able to spend time with your father. Family is ALWAYS the most important. Also glad you enjoyed today's post. If you'd like, you can hit up the Abby and Basil page I created so you can go from link to link to read each episode of their blog opera.

      And I'm blushing over here at you compliment. Thank you.

      Delete
  14. Hey Angela, nice to finally meet you. (I see you comment at some of the same blogs that I follow)


    Excellent selection. I'll have to come back and start at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you stop by and that you enjoyed the post. Please feel free to check out the Abby and Basil tab I set up to read their blog opera from the beginning.

      Delete
  15. Great piece, Angela. I missed a few of your posts. I'm going to backtrack and read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Medeia. You can hop on the Abby and Basil tab to make the backtracking easier.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. I'm thinking Basil didn't see it coming either.

      Delete
  17. NO!!! Why did she run? Where's the kiss? Great writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, the kiss? I reckon we have to let the letters decide if there will be a kiss or not ;-)

      Thank you for your compliment.

      Delete
  18. Great heart palpitating moment. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.