Friday, April 20, 2012

Letter "R" - Running

My booted footfalls echoed from cobblestone, muffled only by the grass as I stumbled my way into Harbor Park.  Attentive mothers watched their children play on slides and climb through plastic obstacle courses. I found a cherub statue and balanced myself on a corner of its pedestal.  It looked forlornly across the grass to its mate on the other side of the playground.

"I know," I said, as if the thing could hear me, "not fair at all."

I sat there, trying to understand why I ran.  But that's what I'd always done...before.

Father would find me in my room at night.  He'd leave me empty, bloodshot eyes peering at me over his shoulders, daring me to tell anyone.  So I ran away.  He would always find me, beat me and then I'd stay.  But the cycle repeated until my brother stood up to him, protected me, unlike my mother who cowered at his feet.  When my brother graduated high school and left for boot camp, the cycle began again, more vicious.  Dirty.  Filthy.  Death a much better option.

But I couldn't even die right.

Father Quanon showed up and I didn't have to run anymore.  I could end the cycle.  I could do more, be more, just had to accept that I could not love.

Then Basil.  Now love.  Running didn't help before.  Won't help now.  Basil lied, true enough, but I hadn't exactly been honest either.  His "I love you" meant everything good and wonderful that my father's never did.  Basil's touch comforted me.  I'd finally found what I needed in my enemy, loving him, Harvestor and all.  Running hadn't changed that.

Apples.

I looked around and saw him striding, purposeful, all my stuff in his hands.  He knelt before me.  "Where you run, I'll follow."  Truth of his words flooded my soul.

I leaned toward him, pressed my lips to his.  No bolt of lightning to break us apart.  No shattering earth to tear him away from me.  Soft.  Gentle.  Wanting.  Tingling erupted setting my nerves on edge.  He brought a hand to my face, cupped my cheek as my lips parted, opening to his desire.  Fierce heat stirred my core.  A breeze cooled my tingles, and nothing more perfect could have happened.

Until someone, very loudly, cleared their throat.******

Awww, Abby has dealt with a lot.  To finally find love when she isn't allowed...?  And who interrupted their first kiss?

28 comments:

  1. oh that poor girl!!!!!! what a past.. yikes.

    "Where you run, I'll follow." SWOON!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't he just the most romantic fella?

    And yeah, Death called to her because she'd done some suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interrupted a kiss like that? Excuse me, Angela, but that interrupter needs a good talking-to.. and, erm, why is my pulse suddenly a wee bit high????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! I agree, Cathy. That darned interrupter should just mind their own business.

      And that elevated pulse couldn't have anything to do with the excitement of Abby and Basil finally kissing, would it?

      Delete
  4. Where you run, I'll follow. ~ Be still my heart. Loving it Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of those lines where, looking back, I know it's there because I typed it, but it definitely came from Basil's character and not some writing skill for me to boast about.

      Delete
  5. Oh my. It was so magical how you weaved her past into her thoughts, so natural like that. I was just so lost in it that when it ended, I scrolled down to the end of your blog looking for the rest, as it it was magically hidden there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Tanya. Another episode of their blog opera will be here tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. Well, it looks like someone found a respite from a very touch situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, J.L. Been a rough ride for Abby.

      Delete
  7. This is heartbreaking and beautiful. Great piece of writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the compliment, Angela. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  8. Mamma Mia, it's a wonder she can love at all. But with Basil....*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been rough with her. But Basil appears to have a heart of patience for her as well.

      Delete
  9. I think this was the best piece yet, Angela. Love Basil. ^^

    I've tagged you with the Lucky 7 meme: http://brookerbusse.blogspot.com/2012/04/i-guess-this-is-what-i-get-for-calling.html Excited to see what you come up with. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brooke. And also, thanks for the tag. Will see if I can pull out an old WiP to use for this.

      Delete
  10. I think it was either an authority figure or someone jealous because no one is trying to kiss that person. Either way, the interrupter is in the darn way. That's party poopers for ya, lol. All up in someone else's kool-aid! lol.

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    *Rockin' the A to Z Challenge!*
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're on to something, Nicole. I mean, they were just kissing, nothing else, then come through and break things up lol!!

      Delete
  11. Yay, they kissed. At least they got one in before the buzz killer showed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, very true, Leslie. Now who is this buzz killer?

      Delete
    2. An annoying mime trying to make money in the park?

      Delete
    3. LOL!!!! That would have to be the funniest mime ever if he or she hoped to make money after breaking up a sensual kiss.

      Delete
  12. Well, of course someone had to come along and ruin the passion! Father Quanon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the letters will tell, which they should in the next letter or two. :-)

      Delete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.