Saturday, April 21, 2012

Letter "S" - Sacrifice

He waited on the bench, the picture of calm.

Or should I say It.

I stumbled back into the shadows, too aware of my jealousy.  I hadn't the heart to tell Abby of the Society's strong demands to see her, of my postponements for the past few meetings with them when I showed up alone.  She seemed so...down.  I shouldn't have cared, but I did.  Too much.

When she cleared the church doors, her gaze fell upon him - I mean - It, and she was hopeless.  She'd say, "Father Quanon, excuse me a moment," if I walked up to her now.  Then I'd become like vapor to her, forgotten.  He - It held her captive.  But the look on her face showed something that couldn't be broken with my best chants or scriptures.  The look of love.

So I slipped away to the meeting, alone.  Again .  Perhaps another postponement could be arranged.  At least I hoped so until I noticed two chairs, my empty one and one filled by a familiar figure, someone I'd lost a number of survivors to.

Drakar.

He pasted a lopsided grin on his face.  My stomach roiled.  If he was here, that meant only one thing.  A deal was made.  There will need to be a sacrifice.****

Um...okay...so how is it Drakar is sitting there with the Society anyway?  What's this deal?  If I had fingernails I'd bite them :-)

17 comments:

  1. oh, nice twist! Poor Father Quanon.. in love with Abby too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it took one Cleanser for him to finally slip up.

      Delete
  2. Love the twists and turns in your story! Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of fun, the twists and turns, makes for a bit of intrigue not knowing exactly what's coming next.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Oh no, Alex. That's the sentence to bring on something more lol!!!

      Delete
  4. Ooo, the twists and turns and tension...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much going on with this affair :-)

      Delete
  5. "I'd become vapor to her" is a kickin' line. You are the queen of upping the stakes. I'm going to have serious withdrawal when you get to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww...you are to kind with our compliments. :-)

      Hopefully, the withdrawal won't have to last for too long since I'm close to beginning a novel or novella version of this.

      Delete
  6. I had to go back a few posts to find my way, but you are the Queen of twists and turns and surprises. Great job today. Thanks for visiting my blog today and leaving a comment, Roland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to visit your blog often, Roland. Your writing style is so unique that it's like getting a fix, so to speak. I don't get to leave a comment as often though. Glad you enjoyed the post. :-)

      Delete
  7. Lots of tension! I've obviously missed a lot by not having read the past sections, but this is really good. I'll have to go back!

    Thank you for the kind words you left on Karen's blog. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Amy. My words are just a truth I hope spring into being. Big sales for your novel!!!

      And if you'd like to read other posts, I have a page up there with all the links for each day to make reading back easier.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like the good father is holding a torch for Abby.

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, all these emotions where there's supposed to be none.

      Delete
  9. I like that "if I had fingernails I'd bite them." :D

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.