Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Sunday post? Why yes, yes it is :-)

Charlie Holmberg at Myself as Written and Brooke Busse at Paper Mountain tagged me with the Lucky 7 Meme.  I've done this one before with my current WiP and have dodged doing it again with other tags...however, I have another WiP or two that I can do this for.  Brooke shared snippets - GREAT snippets - from three.  So I'm ready to share from another WiP that has been on pause for a while.
My YA fantasy, AMONG DRAGONS and MEN

The Rules
  1. Go to page 77 of your current MS/WIP.
  2. Go to line 7.
  3. Copy down the next 7 lines – sentences or paragraphs – and post them as they’re written. No cheating


My snippet:


“Do not fret!” Blathe called out in the frantic mess that was her mind.  “I won’t let us perish!”  Melody had no idea what this voice, this person, this being of her imagination could do or even try.  But his words were a comfort no less, even though they came from an unexpected source.  Her breathing slowed, becoming more measured.  The thud of her heart crammed out all fear as she felt a sense of calm overtake her.
She heard a whistle, then gasped as darkness engulfed her.  She tumbled and rolled against leathery skin.  A man cried out.  She heard, more than she felt, her rescuer crash into the ground.  Branches or bones – she didn’t know which - cracked and snapped.  Scales slid across land like a fast-breaking locomotive, until they ground to a halt.

That is a bit over the seven but I wanted to include the last of that bit.  So thank you to Charlie, Brooke and others.  It was nice breaking out this WiP and sharing something from it :-)

25 comments:

  1. trekking your blog!!! amazing! thanks for sharing!

    cheers!
    ..TREK..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title of your WIP, and what a great, creepy snippet. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking it out, Tracey. This is one of my WiPs I've have for some years :-)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful tension in this snippet, and suspense. Great grabber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cate. This is one of my novels that I've been working on for quite some time.

      Delete
  4. It's always hard, letting the youngster out for the first time.

    *G*

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool! very intriguing excerpt - especially in light of what else I've read of yours lately :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, mshatch. Hadn't realized how much writing I've been doing with this A to Z blogging challenge. Been great!

      Delete
  6. Awesome! And Blathe... that's not a name you hear everyday. I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Blathe is a name I can't remember how I came up with it.

      Delete
  7. I knew I made the right choice when I tagged you, Angela. I was not disappointed. ^^

    Favorites: The thud of her heart crammed out all fear...She heard, more than she felt, her rescuer crash into the ground. Branches or bones – she didn’t know which - cracked and snapped. Scales slid across land like a fast-breaking locomotive, until they ground to a halt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thrilled you found some lines to star :-) This is my dragon story. I suppose I really need to get some energy towards this one.

      Delete
  8. That's a great section - so intriguing, Angela!

    PS. Thanks for letting me know about the Short and Sweet Reviews mention - that was so exciting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Sangu. If you could have seen my face when I saw your cover, it would have been priceless. I immediately got all excited like, "I follow her blog!!" lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The name Blathe has me thinking of Blythe dolls today -- must be all of the reading and online window shopping of these dolls that I did earlier this morning, lol. Cheers to you for even making it to page 77 of your MS/WIP! I'm not even sure if I made it past the 7th page of a short screenplay that I've been working on since January.

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to have more of my WiPs either revised or have the first drafts completed before we get to NaNo. I have a couple of story ideas that may be good for NaNoWriMo.

      Delete
  11. Great excerpt!

    And now I want to know who it is and what's going to happen next . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Thank you so much. Hopefully, I get more of this WiP done can share more soon.

      Delete
  12. The branches or bones line gave me chills.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that's really an exciting story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what an exciting excerpt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.