Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Appreciation

If I have not said it recently, then I want each and every one of you to know I truly appreciate you.  New followers and old - who've been with me since my first anxious post - I am honored you stop by, sit for a spell with me and share a smile from your day.

I'm waxing a bit emotional because I had a little sit-down with Chipmunk.  At age seven, her world is her world and that's all she cares about.  I couldn't help thinking back to when I was her age, getting my first pair of glasses, getting talked about by other kids because I was officially "four eyes", dirt poor, and somehow a straight "A" student.  I showed her what my book stand looked like for me when I was her age.  After I emptied all her books, it was occupied by dust bunnies and swirlie whirls.  That's because I didn't have a book stand at her age.

I mention this because I, sometimes, forget to appreciate what I have.  Staring at that empty book stand made me want to bawl.  Although my mother took notice of my interest in books and eventually started doing things to help keep a book in my hand (accruing books and making sure I had a library card), it was hard for her as a high school educated single mother of three living in a neighborhood where hard work was not always looked upon as the "thing to do".  But she did work hard - and kept her sanity somehow raising us alone, and yes, still "alone" even after she married - and that gave me an appreciation for hard work.

I don't want to take any of you for granted.  I'm so thankful to every commentor, every person who's expressed interest in my Abby and Basil blog opera, every person who's shared a word of encouragement offline.

Everything you do.  Thank you.

*Note: No dust bunnies were injured in the making of this post and all the books are back on the stand, except those Chipmunk wants to give away so another little kid doesn't have to have an empty book stand.

32 comments:

  1. The more I hear about your mother, the more I want to know. My guess is Chipmunk will be telling similar tales about her mother one day.

    The acorn doesn't fall from the tree.

    Hugs, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I remember my mother, the more I don't know how she did it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are the sweetest, most appreciative person! someone we should aspire to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...Well thanks Tara. I'm humbled by that compliment. :-)

      Delete
  4. ...and I think we all appreciate you too :) Your warm and kind personality that comes through online, where your smile is visible through the words you choose to type.

    You make me think of the saying 'a smile begets a smile'.

    ...and I know I almost always smile whenever I'm reading one of your posts, or one of your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are just too kind. Thank you :-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing that story. I don't know how single parents do HALF of what they do! Kudos. I'm with Maria, I beat Chipmunk will be sharing similar tales :)

    As for appreciation...back at ya! {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big hugs to you, Raelyn. As a single mother, I don't know how moms with more than one kid does it.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes the world is so full of hurt that we fail to see what is there all around us. I do not think you could ever be such a person! Thanks for your visits and comments, Roland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I aspire to see beyond first impressions and hopefully see to the deeper hurts.

      Delete
  7. Oh, thank you for sharing this! I so appreciate your warmth and encouragement. And the fact that Chipmunk is now choosing which of her books will go to other kids so they don't have empty bookstands brought a tear to my eye. One of those "ahhh, this is just right!" tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. The fact that she wants to give to others makes my heart swell with joy.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing a part of you every day on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. There's so much more to being a writer :-)

      Delete
  9. Your mom sounds like an amazing woman, and you sound like you're doing pretty great yourself as a mom. :) Thanks for sharing those tidbits about yourself with us and for your expression of appreciation. I'm grateful for your presence in my blogosphere as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krispy. Everyday is a lesson while being a mom. Big hugs to you and Alz! And can't forget the Overload of Cuteness :-)

      Delete
  10. I agree that it is so important to take a breath sometimes and reflect on all the strands that connect in our lives. I appreciate your creativity and compassion, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie. I feel so lucky to be part of an awesome blogging community.

      Delete
  11. OMG, if I didn't already follow you, I'd follow you again! You're welcome, Angela, and I appreciate you so much as well. I didn't have a bookstand, either. And my books were from the school library. I'd never even been inside of a bookstore until I was an adult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds we share common threads from our childhoods. I'm glad we've connected via the blogosphere :-)

      Delete
  12. We always carry our parents in us - not just the genes, but how they 'made' us. When you're old you'll carry on in Chipmonk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope she carries on the good stuff, otherwise, she'll be one sassy thing lol!

      Delete
  13. You're so sweet :) I think we all need reminders to really appreciate all our blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting. Showing something to my Chipmunk was a very helpful reminder to me :-)

      Delete
  14. Chipmunk has the right idea - and at such an early age. Way to go. I bet she's had a good example along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying each day to be a better example. Still a whole lot of trying lol!

      Delete
  15. No, no, thank you! ^_^ I love hearing from you. I hope you blog forever and ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny. I was so afraid to start blogging. Maria Z. can tell you that lol!! Now, it's grown into something I love. :-)

      Delete
  16. Your mother sounds like an amazing person, Angela, and you're obviously passing lessons learned on to Chipmunk. I think you've built a wonderful community here at your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's sometimes a great thing to step back and appreciate all we have, whatever it is. We all appreciate you too. You're amazing, juggling work, single parenthood, and writing and blogging. I appreciate all the support you give us and the inspiration on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was a good thing to show your daughter what you had when you were her age. You don't want her to miss out on the joy of appreciating what she has.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for all the comments you leave and for sharing so much here!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.