Friday, June 8, 2012

Incarnate, a review

I love the cover!
From Goodreads: New soul

Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

No soul

Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

Heart

Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

Jodi Meadows expertly weaves soul-deep romance, fantasy, and danger into an extraordinary tale of new life.

So for my review, I have to say that I was back and forth between liking Ana, the MC, and just wanting to shake her.  To know what I mean, this is a novel you'd have to read to experience Ana's history to understand the way she interacts with the world around her.

As for the world around Ana, I loved it.  I think Jodi Meadows did a wonderful job world building with inserted explanations that didn't read like info dumps and with great dialogue.

I adored Sam to bits.  I tend to read books and find a character that I'd like to have all to myself, or at least have an exact replica of the character in my life.  From Incarnate, Sam is that character.

What can I say about the cover?  It is beautiful, colorful and actually does carry meaning in regards to something that happens in the book.

The ending seemed a bit mind-bender to me.  I was able to follow it but have to admit, this is one of the things that made it hard to rate the novel a 5 star novel on Goodreads.  Actually, my first rating was 3, but that's only because I couldn't rate it 3.7, because I can't choose a fraction of a star.  Recently, I changed it to 4 stars because of how much more of the book I really did enjoy.

So would I recommend this book?  Yes.  The writing was well thought out and enjoyable.  The story is quite beautiful, in and of itself.  The times I didn't want to shake Ana, I wanted to hug her and tell her that her situation wasn't of her making.  The ending is set for a sequel, 

My question to you, my wonderful bloggy buddies, is how would you live your life if you knew, 100% sure, that you would come back to this world with all your memories in tact?

29 comments:

  1. That was a fun review and it sounds like an interesting book, thanks for sharing. I remember having dreams where I woke up in a little kid's body and was trying to figure out what had happened.

    One of my biggest regrets is that I let myself become a lonely outsider for so long and missed out on some of the fun parts of being young. I'm doing my best to learn to be more social bit by bit, but I think I'd answer your question by trying to figure out what would be useful to have a better love life my second time around. ;)


    I'm looking for some ninja writers to interview for my Ninja spotlight series. If you're interested, go to http://kelworthfiles.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/im-looking-for-a-few-good-ninjas/ to find out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those dreams of waking up in a little kid's body must have been mind-bender adventurous. Like a novel idea :-)

      Delete
  2. I saw another review for 'Incarnate' recently. I am going to have to check the book out -- the whole premise sounds really interesting.

    If I knew I would be reincarnated... hmmm. I feel like I would be an even more cautious sort of person. I already second guess myself and deal with guilt from poor decisions, and I think that would be compounded if I had to remember lifetimes of different memories.

    http://nickieanderson.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if I would be cautious too. Or would I live carefree, dangers be damned?

      Delete
  3. Parsing this out logically, I would think regularly being reborn with all your memories intact would create more trouble than most people can handle.

    I'm reminded of a woman I saw on the news once who could remember EVERY single moment of her life with precise clarity. Every joy was immediate, but every wound was also raw, as if it had just occurred. To hear her tell it, it is a living hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm...I hadn't considered the emotional destructiveness of remembering so much, especially with such clarity. Definitely something to think about.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Angela, for sharing your thoughts on Jodi's book. I love stories with deep world building. This is already on my TBR list, although I'm not sure I'll ever get to it; my pile keeps growing with these amazing books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SA, there are so many books out there that I wonder if I shouldn't just take a month to just read. Do nothing but read. Yet, I still wouldn't make much of a dent in my TBR list since I'd still be adding others lol!!!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an interesting book!

    I have an award for you at my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good question. Would I live it differently? Maybe a little. I'm not sure. I'd definitely want to have no regrets and create great memories. But then I want that anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, with each new life, you can return to create a new set of memories.

      Delete
  7. Great review and sounds like a great book. That is one beautiful cover!

    If I came back with all my memories, I'd get to work writing a book so I could be hailed as the youngest novelist in the world, hehe. No seriously it would be hard to come back and not be able to talk to family and friends. They wouldn't know me, but I would know they were out there. It would be emotionally painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way things work out in the novel, well, let's just say you'd find the family remembrances interesting.

      Delete
  8. Ha! Don't feel bad about the stars...if I enjoyed it and would recommend it, it gets a 3. I'm stingy with the 4 stars and only give 5 to a book I will or have re-read. All that being said this sounds interesting. That cover and blurb would definitely put it on the list. Thanks for the review.

    I'm not sure I would or could change the course of my life. However, I would hope I'd learn from it, that I'd do things different, better, the next time around. But to have all my memories intact?! I'm not sure how many lifetimes I'd be able to go through before some form of insanity hit. One lifetime has enough ups and downs, LOL. Talk about an emotional roller coaster ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Emotional roller coaster. I suppose one lifetime could be good for that :-)

      Delete
  9. I think it would be very cool to come back with all my memories intact. Then I could hopefully right some of the mistakes I've made (not all, tho!), do things differently, focus on writing sooner - like 15 years sooner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya on focusing on writing MUCH sooner in life. :-)

      Delete
  10. ExcelLent review, Angela, and you're so right about that cover. It's gorgeous.
    Do you know, there's not much I'd want to change about my life. Sure I've made mistakes, but I figure they're okay if I learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lives lived without regret...mistakes included in the package. You've lived that kind of life. Very cool :-)

      Delete
  11. gosh, that's a hard question. I'm not sure I'd do anything differently, but the pressure to see so many different places in the world would certainly be off...
    this one is on my TBR list and I'm curious if I'll feel compelled to shake Ana too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point. You wouldn't really have a bucket list. You can have a "This Life" list of places to go then make another the next go round.

      Delete
  12. This is an interesting concept, and because of it I will read Incarnate. I am only concerned about the protagonist, since you weren't too happy with her, and I trust your opinion.

    As for the reincarnation question, I would seek for a way to erase all the painful memories and only keep those that made me a better person. In that way I would embrace my new life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela. Though not a terrible MC by any means, there were some things that may have been played out a little longer than I would have desired. But at least Jodi made it a point of ensuring the reader knew Ana's reactions to certain thing were based on experience, not just blind actions.

      Delete
  13. that was a thorough review! thanks
    and i really have to think about that question! dont know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please, no reincarnation for me. I would like to rest in peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope you do celebrate INDIEpendence day with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review! I laughed out loud at the 3.7. That's exactly how I wish I could rate them!

    As far as how I'd live? Exactly how I am living right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been drawn to Incarnate since I first saw this amazing cover. It's patiently waiting for me. I really want to be able to fly if I'm coming back. Where do I sign up for that?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.