Monday, June 18, 2012

NEVERLOVE Nearing The End

Not there yet, but very close.  I must admit, the writing slipped a bit when the laundry, sink-load of dirty dishes and other chores finally shrieked for attention.
How am I doing with my goals?  Let's see here...
Goals for June 2012:
1: Complete first draft of NEVERLOVE by mid June. Mid June has come and gone but not too far gone.  I'm within about three chapters of The End.  May be off of this goal about a week.

2. Begin revisions of MINGLED.  Started going through some of the notes I've received.  Especially keen on beginning this so NEVERLOVE first draft end will begin revision city for MINGLED.
3: Post 3 blogs a week, at least 3 to 4 during the month for the 2012 Debut Author Challenge. Done and done.  I'm so glad everyone enjoyed my little change up, doing a review for a MG read.  The next one will be a YA read.
4: Read 3 books. Two done, one to go...also part of the reason I didn't quite write as much :-)
5: Comment to other blogs, at least 20 to 25 a week. Done.  I hope to visit and comment to more.

As part of the process of birthing this novel, I did a skeletal outline based on the Abby and Basil timeline, with tweaks, then hopped on a pantsing detour.  One other thing I did was draft a query letter.  I'd done this with MINGLED.  It helped quite and bit and has helped this time as well.  Here's that rough, rough draft :-)


Dear Agent/Editor:
Seventeen-year-old Abigail Bishop embraced the Goth girl look.  Perfect mask to hide the bruises and late nights spent in tears after her father’s unwanted visits.  When his twisted display of love went too far, stripping away the last of her innocence, she sought a final end to the pain.  Death was too busy to answer her plea and life had other plans.

Failing to take her life angered Abigail.  The thought of facing her father again?  Unbearable.  Fortune smiled upon her through a priest named Father Quanon, who offered a second chance at life: safely guide lost souls through the Withers so they may reach The Gates and be judged.  Abigail gladly accepted her new role as a Cleanser, an agent of heaven, though it cost her family and a future without attachments.  Love, in particular, was forbidden.  Just fine with Abigail, until Basil Hines entered her favorite haunt.  Their connection transcended the bounds of friendship the moment they drank in the scents of each other’s souls, a frightening thing for Basil, a servant of Drakar, the master of hell.  Basil served as a Harvestor, enemy to all heaven stood for.   Love was not an option for him either.  Secrets became a must.  The fault in their love cracked wide open when both were unmasked doing their duties, one protecting souls, the other stealing them.

The shattering truth could send their love to the pits of hell, irreparable. Or Abigail and Basil, two stars destined never to know love, can battle the fates for the one thing they hold dear in one another.


Yeah.  Very rough lol!!  But have you used a query to help you during your writing process?  Do you prefer writing a query before or after writing the first draft?

35 comments:

  1. You're doing great with your goals. I don't do a query but I do try to write a blurb sort of like a query. It does help see what the focus of the story is. Yours is really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. I'll have to add doing a blurb as well. Kind of helps having all the points of reference in alignment.

      Delete
  2. I've written mine after the draft, with the help of my editor. Good luck to you as you work on your milestones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephen. It's cool you and your editor work on your query.

      Delete
  3. YES! You are kicking goal ass! I just came up with an outline for Book #4 last night and I'm so psyched - even though I'm not done writing #3 yet, I love having an idea on deck so I don't feel like I'm at a loss for the next project. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gina! You are rocking and rolling there yourself missie!

      Delete
  4. Only three more chapters! And I know someone if you need help with your query letter - Matthew at the QQQE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm almost done with my wip, too (2 chapters left!!!), and hope to be finished by the end of the month. Congrats on all the progress you've made on all fronts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you as well with the progress you've made. The countdown is on to The End for your WiP!

      Delete
  6. You are doing so well with your goals! Congrats!

    The blurb sounds interesting. I would totally read that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doing so well with your goals -- good for you! Your query letter makes Neverlove jump off the page... or maybe it's Neverlove that makes the query come to life. Yes, I think that's it. You have an intriguing story there.

    I hadn't thought of using a query as a part of the creation/revision process, but what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. I've read a blog or two of other authors/writers who wrote their query before they started their drafte. I didn't have enough plotter in me to do that but I decided to draft up a query during the middle of the first daraft and it really helped out...lots more than I expected.
      Glad you enjoyed the query. Going to work on strengthening it since I'm considering seeking a small press. Self-pubbing is still a possiblility.

      Delete
  8. Great job on your goals!!! Love your query for Neverlove - I can see why writing one would help with driving your project to the finish. I think I'll have to try writing one first next time . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tyrean. I would recommend giving it a go, even for pantsers and plotsers like me :-)

      Delete
  9. Oh, very nice!! congrats on your progress.

    Yeah I use the query as a vehicle for my story. I'm surprised how much it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised as well. It helped quite a bit.

      Delete
  10. There are one and a half words that sums up this post for me: Get'er done! That is awesome! It's going to be a gem. I just know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. I'm working steady to "get'er done". And thanks for your encouragement as well.

      Delete
  11. Congrats on your goals, it sounds like you're doing fantastic! And that's a great rough draft query. It makes me want to read more and that's the key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. I'm glad it makes you want to read more. Very cool.

      Delete
  12. Only 3 chapters left...edge of seat here woman! You're doing wonderfully with your goals Angels. Kudos. The query definitely makes me want to read more and I completely agree getting that down on paper helps with the drafting process. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exciting, being so near completing the first draft. I was able to reference this query several times, along with my skeletal outline, to make sure I've headed where I wanted.

      Delete
  13. Regardless of roughness, that sounds like a very interesting story. One I would pick up off the shelf!

    Never used a query to help with writing, but it's a good idea! And you've been quite productive, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlie. Using the query during my last draft was helpful so I was hoping it would do the same with this draft. And it has been very helpful.

      Delete
  14. Oooh, you're so close to the end. What a great feeling! I am trying to read more this spring/summer. I have been so wrapped up in writing that I've let the joy of reading slip away from me.
    Your achievements, Angela, are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading! Yes, very important indeed. Kinda helps to keep some of the massage the creative mojo.

      Delete
  15. I don't do queries but I always do loglines before I start writing. It's good to have a solid idea about what your story is about.

    You did fantastic with your goals. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. Steady trekking with the writing.

      Delete
  16. Three chapters till the end, gogogo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Fingers moving...keys clacking :-)

      Delete
  17. Angela, I started writing queries before the actual story last year. I've done it on the past 3 projects. It works well for me, too! The query is tweaked when submissions begin, but the overall letter helps me put perspective on who the character is, what's her / his problem, what stands in the way of of his or her goal. It's almost like an informal outline for me.

    Btw, I love your draft! Especially this line, "Death was too busy to answer her plea and life had other plans." If that doesn't tell the reader Abagail is crap out of luck, I don't know what does. Couldn't have been said any better. :))

    Good luck in finishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to try writing the query before the story. So far, I've mainly gotten started on my story with a skeletal outline, end up taking a detour with the muse then do the query...I suppose as a way of "asking for directions" lol!!!

      Thanks for making note of that line. It would be nice if it can survive the revision and edit process of the query letter.

      Delete
  18. I think writing a query or a blurb can help cement the main conflicts in your mind and help you to focus while editing/writing. I often write a blurb during the early days, especially if I'm struggling a bit.
    Good going on the editing and writing. You'll be finished in no time.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.