Monday, June 11, 2012

#Writemotivation and Birthing a Novel

Goals are moving along quite nicely.


Goals for June 2012:
1: Complete first draft of NEVERLOVE by mid June. Getting pretty close.  Nearing The End.  Think I might actually sniffle a time or two because this darling has been a joy to write even though I had my panic moment lol!!!

2: Begin revisions of MINGLED. Hope to begin this process this weekend
3: Post 3 blogs a week, at least 3 to 4 during the month for the 2012 Debut Author Challenge. Making waves here.  Loved the comments for last week's 2012 DAC review.  So got another one for this week.
4: Read 3 books. One down, two to go.
5: Comment to other blogs, at least 20 to 25 a week. I usually get this done in no time flat but I will have to spread this out during the week and make the most of every moment I can.





NEVERLOVE - What can I say about the process of birthing this novel?  It has been a little fun, a little panicking and lot of learning:
- I can panic but it doesn't have to mean the end of my writing world.
- A good read is good food for thought when you need a short break from writing.
- The voices in my head can be quite distinct sometimes...especially the villain.


Now that I've mentioned the word 'villain', here's a snippet of Basil, freshly dead and transported to hell by soul weavers, having a face to face with our villain, Drakar.



“Soul weavers,” the voice chuckled, now closer to Basil.  “Can’t live with them and can’t die without them.”

Basil forced his gaze up.  He was certain he was wrong…had to be.  Before him stood a wretched creature, pale, translucent skin pulled taut across thin muscles, bluish veins and bones.  The rib cage pushed out prominent above a lower torso void of any life giving organs.  This portion concaved, forming a bowl-shape of skin, muscle and bone connecting to a hip bone that poked out like pointy blades.  Pasty wings stretched wide from its back, the tips sharp as needlepoints, catching the glimmer of firelight.  Tiny veins etched through milky membranes webbing the slender wing bones together.

As Basil stared, the creature flexed its wings then brought them forward, cocooning itself from bald head to long-taloned claws, pressing the wings closer, tighter, until another layer of skin sprang up to course over its being.  This skin crackled as it shaped, molded and transformed the winged beast into a not-so-pale naked human that Basil thought was a friend.  If he had a heart, it would have galloped out of his chest at the sight of Drakar.



So, how's everyone doing with their goals?  What stage are you in if you're birthing a novel?  Perhaps a good book you'd like to mention?

34 comments:

  1. Congratulations in advance on finishing Neverlove. You definitely got my attention with that snippet. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the early positive sentiments :-) Glad you enjoyed the snippet.

      Delete
  2. Great goals! Congrats on finishing so much writing.

    I'm actually in the process of birthing a new YA novel and the next book in the series of my debut YA novel. Just beginning the outlining stage. A little frustrated at the moment, but I'm sure 'this too shall pass.'

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you for facing the frustration with the idea of moving past it. Keeps it from becoming a block.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Angela. I loved your paragraphs. You're doing well with your goals. I'm busy editing a manuscript this month. I hope I do as well as you :)

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley. Happy writing to you as well. I'm sure you're editing will fly by before you know it :-)

      Delete
  4. So impressed with all your progress. That's so awesome Angela, especially with all you juggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. It's an interesting time, but it's exciting, frightening and fun all at once.

      Delete
  5. That's fantastic, Angela! I just managed to finish my novel, so I'm super happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait until it's done so I can read it, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. Heck, I can't wait either. This will be a fun read through given it's a bit different than what I've done. Not a whole lot, but some.

      Delete
  7. Love that description! And love that it transformed into somebody your hero recognized. Surprise!

    I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through my first draft. Every time I think I'm stuck and can't continue the plot as I planned ... I see a door or a turn that was there all along. I hope I'm following this twisty maze to good outcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Good luck as you continue on with your draft. May the doors continue to go on a twist and turn of fun drafting.

      Delete
  8. I'm fascinated that you hear the villain's voice so clearly. I almost always hear the hero's voice more distinctly than any other.

    I am plotting a promotion for my other blog, Back to Basics. Since it's about frugal tips and simple living, I'm trying to locate nice little giveaway items that are useful and won't break my bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it's a touch of my dark side. He he he!

      Or not...I hope lol!!

      Oooohh...can't wait to see what this promotion will be.

      Delete
  9. Isn’t it great getting goals accomplished? Yea for goals!
    ~Aidyl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how villainous your villain is - nice detailed writing!
    Good books recently . . . I had the privelege of being an ARC for Ciara Knight's Weighted novella and loved it! I also just read Venture Untamed - a Christian fantasy book about a young fighter - and that was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my touch of villain. And that Christian fantasy novel sounds interesting. Hmmm...

      Delete
  11. Great snippet! Congrats on your progress. Sometimes it seems like we move forward one word at a time.

    I always love your comments, too. Thanks for dropping by so often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marlene. Glad to stop by whenever I get a chance.

      Delete
  12. I'm doing summer nano, and this time I'm just a little behind, but I'm catching up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer NaNo. Just thinking about it makes me want to sit doun somewhere and figure out how to get all that word count done. As it is, the first draft of NL and revisions of MD are quite a bit to take on. Wishing you luck as you attack it!

      Delete
  13. You're doing wonderfully, both your goals and knocking out that first draft of Neverlove! And what a fun snippet to share :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Raelyn. You're encouragement has been wonderful both here and giving me your alpha thoughts. I really appreciate them...even got my brain trying to work certain scenes out now lol!!!

      Delete
  14. You really are excellent at coming up with titles for your novels. You should create a name generator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww...thank you. Now I'm all a-blush :-)

      Delete
  15. Love the snippet and kudos on how well you're doing on your goals. I'm all bogged down in re-writes...nowhere near as much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, LD. You'll make it through those re-writes and be the happier for it :-)

      Delete
  16. “Can’t live with them and can’t die without them.”

    LOVE it!

    I conceived a novel over a year and a half ago. I need to birth it, but I haven't mustered up the courage...I fear the labor pains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much like the labor pains in birthing a child, you won't forget them but they won't be the lasting impression...that child - or in this case, the novel - will bring you lasting joy.

      Delete
  17. Loved the excerpt. I'm intrigued by soul weavers. Congrats on being closer to done. I'm about to start the final read through of my July release. Working on the WIP I set a deadline for of 8/13. I better get moving. Working on first chapters for two other new pieces. Spent the day in a printer war. I think I lost because I had to buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Angela, you are awesome. My Birth of a Novel kind of fell apart when I started revisions of the Sendek project.

    I love your excerpt. Keep moving forward, sounds like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.