Monday, June 25, 2012

#Writemotivation and Did FD Reach The End?

I thought about who I could blame if I didn't get to The End of the first draft (FD) of NEVERLOVE this weekend.  Then that booming voice of accountability reminded me that there would be no other person to blame but myself.  Only I can make the decision to go out and have a great time, which I did lol!!!  And so, in turn, I made the decision to stay up later than normal and just do it, or hurt something trying :-)

So...
1: Complete first draft of NEVERLOVE by mid June. FD is DONE!  Woot!  A week longer than planned but done and at 47k word count, a little longer than expected, too.
2: Begin revisions of MINGLED. A week late on this, but moving with baby steps right now.
3: Post 3 blogs a week, at least 3 to 4 during the month for the 2012 Debut Author Challenge. Published 3 2012 DAC posts and enjoyed the feedback on each.  Been steady with 3 posts a week.
4: Read 3 books. Two down and working on the third.
5: Comment to other blogs, at least 20 to 25 a week.
 Almost didn't make this one.  Got caught up in a few other things but finally did make it happen.
* in addition, I've been critiquing a couple other stories and enjoying the additional challenge.  Also helps me see things in my own MS

What would finishing the first draft be called in the process of Birthing a Novel?  I'm not sure, but it's a euphoric moment.  It was short-lived since I typed the last word and was too sleepy to really dive into the good feelings of the moment lol!!!  At 47k word count, it is a bit longer than I anticipated.  Depending on how revisions go, it may break the 50k mark to fit the novel category.

38 comments:

  1. Congrats! Finishing anything (at whatever stage) is a brilliant achievement. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. I just wish I could have stayed up long enough to do a happy dance but I was soooo sleepy lol!!!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on finishing! I get excited when I finish the first draft because that's the most difficult part of the process for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very exciting to finish the first draft.

      Delete
  3. Grats! Now comes the fun part. Edits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edits. My foe. Yes, we shall meet very soon.

      Delete
  4. Finishing a first draft feels so wonderful. Savor the triumph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I relished in it just long enough for MINGLED to look me in the face, crook and finger and call me on over to start its revisions lol!!!

      Delete
    2. No rest for the wired writer! :)

      Delete
  5. Woot!! Congrats Angela! I have a ton of emails to get out today and yours is one :) Can't wait to see how your wrapped Neverlove up!

    Best of luck with the revisions (I'll get those PDFs we talked about off to you as well). Kudos for moving on to the next project while Heverlove cures :)

    Fabulous update Angela, way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to get the final chapters to you. I'll be honest, I may have been sleep writing lol!!!

      Delete
  6. You are an inspiration to us all. Congratulations, and good luck with your next steps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...well thank you Marlene. I'm looking forward to the next steps for each of these projects.

      Delete
  7. Wow! Congrats! I'm hoping to finish my first draft this week... hope it goes as well as yours did ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I hope you did something to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! I wish, Barbara. The closest thing to celebrating that I did was falling asleep the moment my head hit the pillow. I went straight from the computer to bed :-)

      Delete
  9. Congrats on finishing!! It's always a great feeling. Absorb it while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm getting a little bit of delayed excitement and joy since I was too sleepy to enjoy the moment when it happened.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on finishing! Though isn't Neverlove a YA? 47k is more middle-grade length, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlie. I was first looking at making this a novella-length story but then I kept typing and typing :-)

      Delete
  11. Good for you! I love finishing the first draft because the real fun begins is in the edits.

    I think you did darn well time-wise. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a challenge. But it was wonderful sticking to making this happen as close to goal as possible.

      Delete
  12. Oh, congratulations on finishing your first draft! It's been awhile since I've done that... I miss the feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can say that when you do it again, it's going to be so great.

      Delete
  13. Way to go, Angela. Great job on the goals for far this month. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on finishing your first draft! Commenting on blogs is in my set of goals, and I don't always get around to it, either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Congrats on finishing your first draft. Celebrate!

      Delete
  16. Well done! It's a wonderful feeling! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Angela! That's major!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on finishing your first draft! Whoo hoo! That's always the hard part for me and it's such a relief when it's done. Down hill from here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you're getting things done. Congrats on all your amazing progress!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on your FD of Neverlove. It does sound like you have a novel there, instead of a novella. Lots of places to go with it, though - write more words to have a novel, write more words to have 2 novelas! But first, the dratted edits!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Getting that First Draft done has to feel great! I love that you called yourself on the whole accountability thing. Hope you didn't hurt anything in the process though!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.