Friday, July 13, 2012

2012 YA /MG DAC - Grave Mercy

Amazon, B&N
From GoodreadsWhy be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

So my thoughts?


Assassins.


Those trained in the art of removing  the life force of another human being, ceasing it to exist.


That drew my attention.  Then it turns out these aren't just assassins, but assassin nuns, well, at least the sisters who taught the recruits how to kill - erm - terminate life.


The cover.


I'm not big on the gowns on the covers because it's been a tad bit overdone.  Yet, there's something about this one that makes me tap my finger to my chin and go hmmm....

I got it!


That crossbow makes a HUGE difference for me, makes it stand apart from the typical, "Look at me!  I'm pretty!"  This says, "Dare to look at me, if you must.  Bear witness to the crossbow.  Know that I will use it."  You just hope she doesn't use it on you.


The story.


You can't help but to pity Ismae from the beginning.  Her life was one of difficulty from before the day she was born...aside from the fact she shouldn't have been born at all.  But she was and her life was the rougher for it.  Cursed.  Then enters the convent: new opportunity, new skills, new life and new dangers.  Lafevers takes the reader on a ride writhe with suspense, some political intrigue and historical beauty.  She led me to a time and place where aristocrats ruled by walking the narrow edge of a razor and everyone beneath suffered for the wrong, or sometimes the right, decisions.  Actually, that's happening a lot these days but for this novel, it was done in much more palatial fashion.


I'm not a big fan of historical novels but this is one I would recommend.  Have you read any historical novels that really grabbed your interest?

48 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about this book. I'm not so into historical novels either but it's on my wish list at the library. Thanks for your great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I really enjoyed reading this novel.

      Delete
  2. I adore historical novels from all time periods in history. The cover is terrific. I like the perspective the artist used.

    Thank you for the review. Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the cover. Of course, the crossbow did the job for me lol!!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Cool. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. :-)

      Delete
  4. I do love historical novels -- that's mostly what I write -- and this cover caught my attention, too. (Especially because it's published by HMH, the parent company for my publisher Clarion. I'm trying to anticipate what my cover might look like ...)

    Thanks for the review. I'm looking to stock up books on my Kindle for my vacation next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book should make a nice addition to you stock of books.

      Delete
  5. It captured my attention, for sure. I'm a fan of historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be getting into more historical novels. I haven't read many, but the ones I've read, I've enjoyed.

      Delete
  6. What a tough situation to be placed in. Total Ugh. I'm guessing is she leaves the convent her horrible hubby will come after her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very possible. But she's got that crossbow and can shoot him or bonk him on the head :-)

      Delete
  7. I'm really excited this book is out. I read the beginning chapter on figment, and loved it. I read historical fiction usually when my mom hands it to me . . .so those books don't usually have crossbow wielding assassins on the cover. Although my mom loved Hunger Games in our book swapping, she usually hands me Christian historical fiction from her shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beginning of this story really made me feel bad for the MC. She had it rough.

      Delete
  8. I was going to say I love the cover. It really draws me in! And I am a fan of historical fiction so I will definitely have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally, I've never liked the 'girl-in-dress' covers. They're a big turn-off for me...but I'm not exactly part of the target audience anyway, so it doesn't matter what I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely want to take your perspective into consideration. Although you may not be the target audience, there's always the desire for cross-over appeal. It'll be interesting to see what the next "cover trend" will be.

      Delete
  10. I've been wanting to read this one. I love historicals if they're done really well. The Vespertine and The Springsweet are two of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the title The Verspertine. Let me check my TBR and see if I have that added.

      Delete
  11. Can't wait to read this. I'm a big fan of Shrinking Violet's :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. It was a wonderful read.

      Delete
  12. I know what you mean about the fancy dress covers! But this one is really striking. I guess there's a part of us that still wants an element of the untouchable, so it must fit that sort of need. Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a quirky one so the assassins angle had me hooked and ready to read. Having all these other things along with it made it a great book.

      Delete
  13. I agree with you on that crossbow making the long dress-clad girl waaaay more interesting. Maybe that's the accessory for '12? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...Need to make sure they make a smaller one to fit in my clutch purse as well :-)

      Delete
  14. You had me at nuns who are assassins. Interesting and different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly :-) Definitely not your normal combination.

      Delete
  15. Very nice review, Angela. You're right, the crossbow clinches the deal. I don't usually pick up historicals as a rule, but Pillars of the Earth was a good epic book for adults - I don't know of any historical YA or romance, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out Pillars of the Earth. I think I've heard of that before. But I get so caught up in YA that I probably let it pass me by. Time for a second look :-)

      Delete
  16. I think this looks just amazing. Love the cover. Everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great read if you ever get a chance. Tension in the romance area as well.

      Delete
  17. Assassin nuns? Awesome. I'll have to check this one out. I do love a good historical novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I've probably been missing out by not reading historical novels as often as my normal kicks.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for the review. It sounds great - who could resist assassin nuns? (Okay, probably lots of people, but not me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, couldn't resist them :-)

      Delete
  19. I've read this one and really enjoyed it. The author had me at assassin nuns. The red dress on the cover seems very common these days. You think they'd change the color of the dress to blue or purple or green for variety :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! They can change the color. They just better leave the crossbow :-)

      Delete
  20. I think this one isn't something for me, but glad you liked it! It seems like a lot of people have been enjoying this one. I just finished a YA historical fiction book that I really loved, Book 2 of the Montmaray Journals, FitzOsbornes in Exile. It's a straight historical though, no magic fantasy stuff, but it was so good. I love the characters. It's set at the onset of World War II.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha. Grave Mercy has a historical setting but it has a slight, very slight bend of beyond-normal-human ability, especially involving St. Mortain.

      Delete
  21. I love historical settings. Add in the the whole assassin thing and you got my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy it until I started reading. Then all the intrigue and assassin stuff just caught me up.

      Delete
  22. Assassin nuns is pretty cool.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've LOVED Robin LaFevers since reading both of her middle grade series (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist and the Theodosia Throckmorton novels). I can't wait to get my hands on this YA book. She's my writing hero :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't read any lately. For a historical fiction to really stay with me it needs to have that something extra special. I don't read too many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This one does look like a great read. And, I agree with you. Gowns are usually a bit overdone, but her crossbow definitely gives this one an edge. :))

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.