Monday, July 2, 2012

INDIEpendence Day Blog Fest

In the spirit of making one's own path, I'm happy to participate in the INDIEpendence Day Blog Fest.

For some, it's bucking the establishment, giving "it" to the man, whatever "it" is.  For more authors I've met online, or whose writing I've enjoyed, it's been about following their heart, putting out a book that they love so others - like moi - could enjoy.

One particular book got pointed out to me by Sommer Leigh.  She was/is a definite fan of this novel.  Here's one of her blog posts where she mentioned Angelfall by Susan Ee.
From GoodreadsIt’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco where she’ll risk everything to rescue her sister and he’ll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

I had a very hard time putting this book down.  Susan did a fantastic job of keeping the stakes escalating, keeping the tension taut and making me wish for Penryn to succeed in her quest.

This novel isn't for those seeking "happy days are here again".  It's post-apocalyptic to the core.  Happy days look far in the past and less than a hope for the near future.  A definite must-read!

Get it in paperback, kindle, and B&N.

To celebrate INDIEpendence, I'm giving away a paperback edition of this novel:

And you can check out what's happening with the others also celebrating INDIEpendence:

39 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'm not sure if this book is me or not. I like a little of the happy. Word of mouth helps, doesn't it? I love reading about new to me books and authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word of mouth really does help. Even if a person may not be keen on the story themselves, they may know someone this book may be a perfect fit for.

      Delete
  2. the sun made me smile so far.
    erma2167@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bright way to get a smile :-)

      Delete
  3. Awesome hop, Angela! Oh...see you at IWSG tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like an awesome book! and an excellent hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very fun being a part of the hop and I really enjoyed Angelfall.

      Delete
  5. Angelfall has been on my TBR since last summer, when I first heard about Susan Ee and her publishing journey! I own it now, so I won't enter your contest, and my son has read it - I almost read/reviewed it myself for INDIEpendence Day! But I'm glad I didn't, because here you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a few on my list that I considered but this book just fit for me. Dark. Tense and great fiction with a post-apocalyptic bite.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the giveaway. I have heard this is a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't re-read a whole lot of books but this is one that I could re-read.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great book! Following you now as a fellow #writemotivation person if that's ok

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous blog hop. Sorry I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...Not sure if you may be able to get in on it.

      Delete
  9. Angelfall is indeed awesome! And I've only had time to get a few pages in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get ready for a bumpy ride. And it's well worth the read.

      Delete
  10. A great post. You highlight many wonderful authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olga. Authors have provided the words that have inspired me. I only wish to give a little as I can, in my own humble way.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a page turner, all right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids running through the sprinklers made me smile. :) ...And squirting them with a hose. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness that sounds like soooo much fun :-)

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful book. Yay for indie authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book and I'm very glad for Indie authors. We'd be missing out on some wonderful reads if Indie authors didn't take that chance.

      Delete
  14. Is is an awesome blog hop. The Angelfall cover is stunning and the story sounds gripping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting reading this story. I would have tried to read it straight through the night if sleep didn't eventually grab my by the shoulder and demand I get some rest lol!!

      Delete
  15. My sister coming to visit today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sibling fun! Have a great time with you sister :-)

      Delete
  16. What made me smile and still does whenever I think about it is that I got accepted for the post graduate program at my UNI. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful news!! Congrats!!!

      Delete
  17. Afternoon Starbucks pick-me-ups from my boss!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lot of things made me smile. Sun, friends, passed exams and books, always books! :)
    Dunno if this giveaway is international (I can't see the info anywhere), if it's not then you can delete my entry, if it is then you're awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I didn't specify, so if you win, we can work out what to do :-)

      Delete
  19. Inside camp jokes still make me smile when I think about them. And these two new games on my phone that I installed. Though after a bit it makes me look like a zombie instead because it's a time dependent game. 0-0

    Thanks so much for the giveaway, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you what, so many phone games out there it's just amazing. Most I've heard of are loads of fun.

      Delete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.