Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Me, Myself and I discuss Possession and Surrender

Amazon, B&N
From GoodreadsToe the line between rule-following and rule-breaking in this tense and twisted start to a smart and sexy dystopian trilogy.Vi knows the Rule: Girls don’t walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn…and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi’s future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.     But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they’re set on convincing Vi to become one of them….starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can’t leave Zenn in the Thinkers’ hands, but she’s wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous—everything Zenn’s not. Vi can’t quite trust Jag and can’t quite resist him, but she also can’t give up on Zenn.     This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.
Amazon, B&N


From Goodreads: Forbidden love, intoxicating power, and the terror of control…

Raine has always been a good girl. She lives by the rules in Freedom. After all, they are her father’s rules: He’s the Director. It’s because of him that Raine is willing to use her talent—a power so dangerous, no one else is allowed to know about it. Not even her roommate, Vi.

All of that changes when Raine falls for Gunner. Raine’s got every reason in the world to stay away from Gunn, but she just can’t. Especially when she discovers his connection to Vi’s boyfriend, Zenn. Raine has never known anyone as heavily brainwashed as Vi. Raine’s father expects her to spy on Vi and report back to him. But Raine is beginning to wonder what Vi knows that her father is so anxious to keep hidden, and what might happen if she helps Vi remember it. She’s even starting to suspect Vi’s secrets might involve Freedom’s newest prisoner, the rebel Jag Barque....


Me, Myself and I on: Possession and Surrender by Elana Johnson.

Very.  Bacon Excellent.  Decision.

I:  Loved these books!
Me:  You know what, I was impressed with the overall story of both novels.
Myself: I was impressed with Jag, in both books.
Me: Do you really get that caught up on the guys?
Myself: Uh, yeah.  What of it?
I: Girls, look, no fighting this time.  Besides, Myself's obsession with Jag made your obsession with Gunner an okay thing. Right?  Right?
***Myself and Me glare at I***
I clears her throat: Um, moving on.  Well, I have to say, the love triangle existed in both books, though it was much more prominent in Possession than it was in Surrender.
Myself: Jag was soooo the bad boy and yeah, I know, bad boys are trouble but come on, can you say HOT?
Me: Could you imagine living in a world where your thoughts are controlled, where some person or establishment has the ability to plug into your mind and tell you how to live every minute of your life?  Just...creepy.
Myself: Which is why I LURVED Jag.  Nobody was going to tell HIM what to do.
I: There's something about dystopian novels that resonate.  The possibilities of the future are countless and yet one of these imagined worlds, created by authors like Elana, could really happen.
Me:  Who here would recommend these books?
***all three raise their hands***
I: Love it when we're in agreement...and no cat fighting has happened.
Myself: Jag is still the hottest.
Me: That would be Gunner.  He rocked Surrender.
I: Let's just enjoy the rest of this frozen yogurt and agree to disagree.

Possession and Surrender, both definite must reads for anyone with a love for sci-fi, dystopian, and a little bit of a rebel.

Have you read any great dystopian or sci-fi novels, whether old or new?

33 comments:

  1. FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS and THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH are two of my favourite recent sci fi/dystopian-y reads. Really, really recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the Darkness Shows the Stars looked like an amazing read when I checked it out on Goodreads. Got it added to my TBR list. Thanks for the suggestions.

      Delete
  2. I liked MATCHED, SHIPBREAKER, and INCARCERON to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Incarceron...and enjoyed it. I think I have the other two on my TBR list. I've heard great things about them both.

      Delete
  3. Who isn't a sucker for a hot man? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to do more reviews like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Glad you enjoyed it Alex. I have fun doing my Me, Myself and I book discussions. They each represent a piece of the person that makes Angela B.

      Delete
  5. "Which is why I LURVED Jag."

    Angela, you crack me up. Thanks for the review. I've been meaning to get these books because I think my daughter would lurve, I mean love, them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool beans, Linda. I do hope your daughter lurves - erm - loves them :-)

      Delete
  6. Good to read the review. I like Elana Johnson's panels, but I've heard mixed reviews about her books. Maybe I'll check 'em out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No surprise about the mixed reviews. It's too bad there isn't a book out there that can be all things to all people. Or maybe it's out there and there needs to be a grand expedition to find it. Hmmm...

      Delete
  7. I read Possession last week after discovering the series here at your blog. I enjoyed it very much, and you're so right about Jag. I challenge you to a sword fight - winner takes Jag. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sword fight. What? Wait...uh, can they be wooden swords? lol!!!

      Delete
  8. Ha! I loved this!! Best review ever. I just finished reading SURRENDER yesterday. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Surrender was a wonderful read :-)

      Delete
  9. I love this me, myself, and I book conversation.

    Right now I'm reading Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake, which is dystopian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read the description of the book. It sounds creepily dystopian and begging for a read. Added it to my TBR list. Thank you for mentioning it :-)

      Delete
  10. This was an awesome review, Angela! It makes me want both books. Think I'll go check them out now:) Oh, the only dystopian I've read was the Hunger Games trilogy and Divergent - hooked on both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divergent and Insurgent are both on my TBR. I read and enjoyed The Hunger Games. Still need to get to the other two in the trilogy.

      Delete
  11. I just adore these *me*, *myself*, and *I* reviews, Angela! Your sense of humor and mine are aligned in some cosmic way...you always manage to make me laugh! Are these YA novels? If so, I'll recommend them to my niece. :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I would say they are upper YA given the ages of the MC and the love interests involved in both books.

      Delete
  12. I love these Me, Myself, and I posts, especially the reviews. I'll have to look into these, they sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed both books. If Elana comes out with another companion novel, I would definitely scoop it up.

      Delete
  13. I've read Possession and enjoyed it. Might be a while until I get my hands on Surrender. Currently, I'm reading The Scorch Trials by James Dashner which is the second in a dystopian trilogy. And I love it just as much as I loved the first one, The Maze Runner.

    Actually, I've enjoyed every dystopian I've read I believe. I'm going to attempt to write one myself next month for Camp NaNo. Planning is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got James Dashner's books on my radar. Heard all kinds of great things about The Maze Runner. My WiP, MINGLED, is a dystopian as well. I was trying to tag it as post-apocalyptic but the events are too far past the apocalyptic event and takes place in a distorted utopian society so I guess I better stick with dystopian. Good luck with penning yours for Camp NaNo.

      Delete
  14. They sound amazing. One thing I've noticed is that these books have the most recognizable covers around. Another fun interview, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point, Amy. And not for being complicated or anything. Just simplistic yet beautifully symbolic.

      Delete
  15. I'm an Elana fan and I've loved the slew of dystopians out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm really loving the dystopian...and the post-apocalypse novels as well.

      Delete
  16. I love the whole thinking for yourself vs brainwashing concept. I'll have to check out Elana's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them worth the read. And she's got a novella called Regret as well...or is it a short story. I've got it so I better read it soon :-)

      Delete
  17. I always enjoy a spirited "discussion" between Me, Myself and I :) Haven't read Surrender yet, but liked Possession. Just wanted to let you know, Angela, that my blog notification have been totally messed up this week, so pop over for Short and Sweets today if you want - I've been posting as usual all week, but no one knows :(

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.