Friday, July 20, 2012

The Soul Seekers by Amy Saia and the Beauty of Young Romance

I love writing YA.  I love reading it.  And I really enjoy finding out a little backstory for other authors with those same two inclinations.

Okay, you got me.

I love authors period.  Today, I have Amy Saia stopping by to share about her soon-to-be-released novel The Soul Seekers.

Take it away Amy :-)


First of all, thank you Angela for having me here. It’s a great honor to be a part of your blog for a day! (The pleasure's all mine!) I suppose I should talk about the reason I’m here, and that is because my book The Soul Seekers will be coming out on August 7th. It’s about a girl, seventeen-year-old Emma Shay, who moves into a small town only to become fascinated with a strange young man who never looks or speaks directly at her. It’s a bit of paranormal, a little mysterious. Mostly it’s a love story, and I’ll talk about that.

My mom read a lot when I was growing up, and I fell in step, picking up whatever paperback or magazine she’d tossed onto the coffee table after an evening of complete engrossment while sitting on the couch absentmindedly watching tv shows. She read a lot of romances, and so I read those too, though I cringe now at some of the naughty stuff I was taking in at such a young age. What really confused me was how the man always seemed to hate the female protagonist until the last page, where he’d emphatically claim his love and propose on one knee. It was a lot of cat and mouse activity going on: about to kiss, Lance threw her on the bed and growled, “NOT YET Agatha! You damn vixen, you!” Gosh, that would make my heart race. Were men really that complex? It intrigued me and excited me, so I’d read and read until those last pages, then start another one.

Writing YA romance is a lot different. You can’t have young men throwing girls onto beds with gritted teeth every five seconds. The girl can’t clutch at his manly chest and swoon when he gives her a ‘dark’ look of passion. It has to be tender, romantic. A young reader wants everything to be now, yet eternal. Beautiful. I didn’t realize that what I really loved about romance was the romance itself. I found that while writing The Soul Seekers. I love that Emma and Will aren’t tearing each others’ clothes off. A kiss is like a diamond to them. It’s deep and forever—just the way all love should be.

I hope you pick up a copy of The Soul Seekers when it comes out. Its paramysteromance should be good pool reading on these end-of-summer days. Again, a big thanks to the lovely Angela Brown for allowing to stop by! And thank you for reading! 

Author’s Biography

Amy Saia lives in Kansas where she keeps busy as a writer, artist and musician. She has two very imaginative children, a cat named Grape, and a long-haired dachshund named Henry. You can find her online at: http://thatamysaia.blogspot.com/ and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/amy.saia.3.

From Goodreads:  When Emma's father dies, she and her mother move cross country to a small, boring town. Now the only constant in Emma Shay's new life is him. Beautiful, silent, him: the mysterious guy at the library she secretly calls Superman because of his dark, good looks. But Emma is puzzled and intrigued by his behavior. He speaks at her but never to her. He comes up to touch her hair and then suddenly leaves. And then one day an impulsive meeting between them uncovers a strange truth about William Bennett.

Set in Southern Indiana during the summer of 1979, The Soul Seekers is about one girl and the future she tries to deny. Can she save William from his purgatory, or is she doomed to share his fate?

28 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me here, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to have you her today :-)

      Delete
  2. totally different! thanks for introducing us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? Really makes me nostalgic for that young love.

      Le sigh.

      Delete
  3. Angela, thanks for hosting Amy! Love this post, Amy. I never really thought about YA romance this way, and I hope it never changes and becomes the other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. I really enjoyed Amy's take on YA romance as well.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great story!

    I also started reading romances at a young age. :-D

    Good luck with your book Amy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess, Harlequins were my mom's fave so I got my hands on quite of few of those, and laughed at the "heaving" and the "throbbing" and the other stuff lol!!

      Delete
  5. Nice to meet you, Amy.

    Makes you think twice before leaving just any old book on the coffee table for your kids to pick up, doesn't it? :)

    Congratulations on your release. The premise is intriguing and I love that title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that title as well. And the cover is simplistic and nice.

      Delete
  6. I definitely agree that YA romance readers want the love to be eternal. Congratulations to Amy on her book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if that eternal factor has anything to do with the obsession with vampires and were-animals and things that live forever and ever loving a mortal being?

      Delete
  7. Good luck to Amy and best wishes for The Soul Seekers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thoughts here, Stephen. I'm excited for it to be released.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a great book (and having attended high school and grad school in Indiana, the setting appeals to me)! I love Amy's reason for writing romance and the adaptations she made to have her stories suit a YA audience. "A young reader wants everything to be now, yet eternal." LOVE that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A young reader wants everything to be now, yet eternal."

      That is definitely a gripping and true quote.

      Delete
  9. This sounds so interesting - and I absolutely love Amy's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad to have her guest post.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for introducing us to Amy and her book, Angela! Amy, The Soul Seekers sounds great - I love your approach to romance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially YA romance. Sometimes you can't help realizing there is a big difference.

      Delete
  11. I love the word paramysteromance. So fun! And the book sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sounds fun. I'm excited to get a copy and enjoy the read.

      Delete
  12. When I have the opportunity to get immersed in your blog, it feels like I'm entering another world. Perhaps this world is more ideal than the real world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Olga. Reading and writing are wonderful escapes for me. Perhaps this blog is a reflection of that :-)

      Delete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.