Friday, September 14, 2012

Be Inspired: The Q&A Meme Of Your Current WiP

Tag!  I'm it :-)
David Powers King, the awesome blogger of The Cosmic Laire of Science Fiction and Fantasy, and a moderator of inkPageant, tagged me for this meme.  I've been talking a lot about NEVERLOVE since Gwen Gardner and I partnered up (PIP) to self-publish our separate YA paranormal novels.  So today, I want to address a WiP that's been sitting second in my queue.

Wait just a second...

*shuffles, muffled pleading, cooing, return shuffles*

Sorry about that.  Had to go sooth my dragon story.  AMONG DRAGONS AND MEN has been very patient but needs a lot more re-writing and revising before I can even send it off to beta readers, let alone make it the subject of this meme.  Chaos, the pearl dragon, just harrumphed at me but settled his wings.

Okay, we're good.

So here we go with the Q & A:
What is the name of your book?  MINGLED

Where did the idea for your book come from?  The Hunger Games.  I enjoyed this book but I couldn't help this innate curiosity to wonder what it would be like to live in a society where the people actually wanted to be selected, wanted to go to the capital and it was all fun and games...unless...well, hopefully MINGLED will get published (or I'll publish it) so readers can know what the "unless" refers to.

In what genre would you classify your book?  YA urban fantasy/dystopian

If you had to pick actors to play your characters in a movie rendition who would you choose?  I honestly hadn't thought of this.  I suppose Kyla Pratt would do well as the part for Macie Breen.  A younger version of Christian Bale would be great for Thane.  But I'd need him to have molten silver contacts :-)

Give us a one sentence synopsis of your book. Um...What?  I'm having a heart attack trying to fit this story into a normal query so how am I supposed to do this in one sentence?  Where is the love, people???  Okay, let me try.  One blood donation leads Macie on a path to discovering her true heritage; a power that could bring on the next apocalypse, a power the Collective would do anything to have for its own.

Is your book already published?  Nope.  But I'm working on it.  Dystopians aren't exactly high on agent lists right now.  Go figure.  lol!!!

How long did it take you to write your book?  Wow.  I haven't thought about this either.  Maybe about three months for the first draft.  Full time work and single parenthood really cut into writing time :-)  But it's been much longer given rewrites and revisions.

What other books within your genre would you compare it to? Or readers of which books would enjoy yours?  People who enjoyed The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins but with an urban fantasy bend and no kill or be killed.  Well, there may be a kill or something like that, but I guess it would have to get published to find out more :-)

Which authors inspired you to write this book? I guess Suzanne Collins since she wrote THG.

Tell us anything that might pique our interest in your book?  If you enjoy following a character on a path to discovery, adding in a little urban fantasy twist to the perfectly deceived society, then MINGLED is for you :-)

That's it for me.  There's a "pick five" rule, however, I'd be most happy if any and all would share, in the comments, a WiP you're working on and what it is about.  If you don't write, please share the title of the latest novel you completed and any thoughts you have about it.


28 comments:

  1. Ooh, sounds interesting, Angela. The opposite of the Hunger Games, wanting to be chosen. Surely does make one think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the things "what if"s can make us consider. :-)

      Delete
  2. I like dystopian fiction so boo-hiss on the agents.

    Ref: wip
    I promised myself I wouldn't write any more fiction this year and concentrate on nonfiction, but a new story emerged in my brain almost fleshed out before I could write it down.

    If my back cooperates, it should be done in another month or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! The muse has spoken. We need to get a hold of your own yoga instructor to come out and visit, that is, between scorpion visits. But as much as I enjoy your non-fiction - you even make non-fiction interesting - I adore your fiction :-)

      Delete
  3. Molten silver contacts - do they make those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. If they can make eyes bleed red blood I sure hope they can scoop these contacts up. And yes, molten silver so they always look like you're ever-falling into those eyes :-)

      Delete
  4. Best of luck with Mingled. My WIP is a paranormal crime drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LD. Yours sounds great. A lot of mystery and mayhem with a paranormal draw. *shivers*

      Delete
  5. How interesting. We were going to use MINGLED as a title, but decided against it later. Now I can see why. And you're welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting. I guess the universe knew we were going to have WiPs that were being worked on and being the gentleman you are, allowed me to get MINGLED. Thank you :-)

      Delete
  6. glad you shared this!
    now i want to know about the dragons!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another bud of mine who's been real patient regarding this story. I really should get on the ball :-)

      Delete
  7. I'm working on sequels. I don't know if I'll ever not be working on sequels....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of sequels, gosh, I guess I better start getting mine going for both of the series I have started. Wow!!!

      Delete
  8. Mingled sounds really good. I love dystopian - I'm not done with it yet. The agents should give it another think, I think:)

    I'm working on the second book of my series, called A Guilty Ghost Surprised. It's about solving the mystery of Simon's mom and brother who were killed by a hit and run driver. And of course it deals with ghosts and paranormal stuff just like the first book in the series. I have a very rough first draft and I haven't worked on it since June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Having read GUTG, I'm so stoked to get a chance to read the sequel. I do adore Simon and to read the sequel - seeing what it's about - would do my heart some good.

      Delete
  9. MINGLED sounds great, Angela! I totally want to read it. What an intriguing description!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susanna. Trying to see if I can get in the GUTGAA agent contest. If not, I've learned a lot and will try to tighten my query for MINGLED to see if I can get some interest from an agent or maybe a small publisher :-)

      Delete
  10. The Hunger Games was awesome, and I can totally understand being inspired. Taps foot. I await impatiently for Mingled. Cool title, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley. I hope your wait won't have to be for long :-)

      Delete
  11. Ooo, a book inspired by THG??? Sign me up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I thought about doing fan fiction for THG but I didn't really understand it so I just formed my THG inspired thoughts and went for the gusto. There's no battle-to-the-death but there may be a death or so involved.

      Delete
  12. Interesting book concept, Angela and you're a fast writer.
    My WiP is Retribution. Stand-alone sequel to my latest book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohhh. Retribution sounds like a great title.

      Delete
  13. I can't wait to read an updated version of Mingled. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to read one of the earlier drafts. It is a great tale, and I am patiently waiting for the release day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The WIP I am currently drafting is called OBJECTION. It's a dystopian as well set in a world where a machine has to proclaim you're in love before you can get married. It vetoes my MC.

    The one I'm revising is called THINKING OF YOU. The MC can control thoughts and is on a mission to save the children of her race from a government facility.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yours sounds great! And I know that some agents aren't totally closed to dystopian yet~ you just have to kind of look harder for them. My WIP is a historic mystery set in the Lake District of England. Sort of like CLUE for middle graders.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think your one-sentence synopsis is awesome! 3 months to write the rough draft while holding down a job and mommyhood? That sounds pretty darn impressive to me!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.