Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Will Trade Brazilian Wax For Publishing Contract

Someone special is stopping by to discuss an important issue, one that is just as important as the Brazilian Wax mentioned in the title.  It's..

Rejection.

I don't like rejection, and Barbara Wright, author of The Pyramid Waltz - which is now available at Bold Strokes Books - is here to share wise words about this thing that chaps my hide (thankfully, not literally)

Take it away, Barbara :-)


Three perfect ways to deal with rejection:

Absolute angry denial: "I didn't want to work with your stupid company ANYWAY!"

Pleas and lamentations: "Please, please, please publish me. I'll clip your dog's toenails! I'll wax your car! I'll wax your bikini area!"

Shrugging it off, pretending to be stone and failing to keep the crying inside: "Meh, so you rejected me. Whatevs. *sniff* I'll just…go to the bathroom…for an hour."

There are other ways, the best being the actual shrug-off, a true state of non-caring, but I think it'd be easier to throw a pool party on the moon. Personally, I like to wrap myself in cookies and whine about how nobody loves me until I get a foot rub.  (this sounds like a deja vu moment for me lol!!)

If you're going to pursue a career in writing, you'll have to find a way of dealing with rejection that works for you. Even if you don't choose the traditional publishing route, rejection will find you through reviews or maybe slower sales numbers than you hoped for.

Everyone will tell you it's not personal. People are rejecting your work, not you. To your family and friends, you're still a perfect little snowflake. That doesn't mean rejection can't rock you to the core. You must find a way to embrace it, deal with it, make it your own.

If you want to paste your rejection letters on the wall and let them motivate you, do it. Maybe you can print out those rejections, stuff them in the fireplace, and light them up. Get some hugs, lots of hugs, and gleefully listen to those who love you talk trash about those who rejected you. You don't have to make it personal. They rejected your work; reject theirs.

Most importantly, and I can't stress this enough: Do not let them make you quit. Hear me? DO NOT LET THEM MAKE YOU QUIT. Let me use some exclamation points. Everyone pays attention to exclamation points. DO NOT LET THEM MAKE YOU QUIT!!!!!!!!!

Everyone who might reject your writing is a person, flesh and blood like you and me, random people with random opinions. Acceptance is out there; you just have to have the fortitude to keep looking for it.
DO NOT LET THEM MAKE YOU QUIT!!!!!!!!

I found my acceptance, and now it's out there for people to read, whether they love it or hate it. It's called, The Pyramid Waltz, and it's available now at Bold Strokes Books in e-book and paperback form. That's my end-of-the-guest-blog shameless plug. Smooth, no?  (very smooth!)

Bio:
Barbara Ann Wright writes fantasy and science fiction novels and short stories when not adding to her enormous book collection or ranting on her blog. Her short fiction has appeared twice in Crossed Genres Magazine and once made Tangent Online's recommended reading list. She is a member of Broad Universe and the Outer Alliance and helped create Writer's Ink in Houston. The Pyramid Waltz is her first novel.
You can stalk - erm - visit her at her blog.
And ebook.

From Bold Strokes Books: To most, Princess Katya Nar Umbriel is a rogue and a layabout; she parties, she hunts and she breaks women’s hearts. But when the festival lights go down and the palace slumbers, Katya chases traitors to the crown and protects the kingdom’s greatest secret: the royal Umbriels are part Fiend. When Katya thwarts an attempt to expose the king’s monstrous side, she uncovers a plot to let the Fiends out to play.

Starbride has no interest in being a courtier. Ignoring her mother’s order to snare an influential spouse, she comes to court only to study law. But a flirtatious rake of a princess proves hard to resist, and Starbride is pulled into a world of secrets that leaves little room for honesty or love, a world neither woman may survive.


So, how do YOU deal with rejection?

36 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post! I know someone who will love this, so I'm going to pass it on! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Kyra. Please do share. We could all use a reminder to Never Give Up!

      Delete
    2. Am I the friend you passed this along to? ;) Thank you!!! I did need to hear it. I know rejection is part of the process. It just SUCKS!!!!

      But I will not give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (enough exclamation points?)

      Delete
    3. Good for you, myupsndowns! Fight the power!

      Delete
  2. You are so right! Rejection is something that comes with the writing profession, and you have to learn how to stomach it and not let it discourage you. Even after you have a book published, it doesn't make you immune to rejection. Your editor might love one book and not care for the next one at all. No need to be heart-broken, and it doesn't mean the editor never wants to work with you again. What it does mean is NEVER STOP WRITING and NEVER STOP SUBMITTING, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possession author Elana Johnson has touched on this before. It is something to bear in mind that getting the agent or the book deal do NOT constitute the end of the rejections. They can still happen. Just have to keep at it.

      Delete
    2. Exactly, Dianne. You get a gold star!

      Delete
  3. We don't have to like it, we just have to deal with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! And knowing yourself (yes, I'm going to sob for the next 20 minutes, but it will pass) is key to living with the rejection that will always be a part of this business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is necessary to understand rejection is a part of this business. Because it can and will happen at all points in the game. Have to honest with yourself, deal and continue on.

      Delete
    2. Ain't that the truth, Susan. Keep on keepin' on.

      Delete
  5. Have a collection of soft unbreakables on hand for throwing at the wall (preferrable while indulging in language you don't use in front of the kids). Then have some ice cream. Then get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your style, but I also like the sound of breaking glass. ^_^

      Delete
    2. I'm with you on the breaking glass!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on publishing your book with Bold Strokes Books. I've heard a lot of good things about that publisher. And second, I love the title of this post. Man it sure grabbed me as I was cruising down my Google Reader. And third, thanks for the reminder that we need to keep going. Rejection is something everyone faces because writing is so subjective. But eventually, our work will resonate with someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. They've been a dream to work with. And thank you for your great positive attitude! ^_^

      Delete
  7. I don't like rejection any more than the next person but I've learned to accept them and move on. It's either that or quit and I'm not quitting. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're ahead of the game, mshatch. Love your die-hard attitude.

      Delete
  8. Pedal power ... There's nothing like a good physical workout - of whatever variety - to shift our energy. Riding my bike alone tree-lined country roads helps me get through all the emotions and arrive at someplace I can think clearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Widdershins. If you need, me, I'll be over here with my cookies. ^_^

      Delete
  9. I honestly don't let it bug me. I know it'll find a home somewhere. So far I've sold everything I've ever written. And there are two more novels that I kinda sorta promised. But there's that silly day job that keeps me busy. Those chickens don't feed themselves, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go, Maria! Perseverance is something we all need to succeed. Or maybe chickens are just lucky charms.

      Delete
  10. Rejection of any kind is hard, but as we deal with them, we get stronger and better equipped to fight the future battles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post and advice! Thank you! And smooth - very smooth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Susanna. Smooth is always my goal. ^_^

      Delete
  12. Whenever I send a project out on submission I work out a list of pubs I can send it to. I start with the first on my list, and if I receive a rejection then I move on to plan B or plan C. That way I have a plan and keep my hope strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I meant to mention this was a good post. All the best with your release.

      Delete
    2. I like your plan, Shelley, and thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
  13. A very timely post for me. And I'm seeing this "do not quit" message a lot lately - I think I'm getting it, lol! Thanks Barbara, and good luck on your new release:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwen. If so many people are telling you not to quit, it must be a sign! ^_^

      Delete
  14. Great post! You inspired me. I WILL NOT QUIT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Angela! I'm glad my exclamation points were not in vain!

      Delete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.