Wednesday, November 7, 2012

IWSG - Wormhole Style

Shhh! Don't tell Stephen Tremp, but I've borrowed a wormhole from his Breakthrough novel, did a bit of destruction tweaking and made my own TDP, a time displacement portal. I have a message I simply must deliver for IWSG.

Wish me luck...

*cue machine humming, whirring, swirling of air, dust and electricity...SLAP-THUNDER-CRACK...and the wormhole opens*

Okay, here I go...

*cue wonky illustration of time rewinding, my eyes wide with fear and excitement then THUNK, I land on my feet*

It's 1993. I spot Teen Me sitting on the porch, sun on the cusp of setting, still plenty of light to read the book clutched in her hands. Her glasses are gone. She broke them accidentally-on-purpose because, well, even she wanted a break from being called a four-eyed geek.

Me Now: Psst! Hey, Angela. I need to tell you something. I don't have much time.
Me Then: Uhhhh...do I know you?
*she glances from me to the screen door a few feet away, sizing Me Now up*
Me Now: Well, yes you do...and you don't. Because I'm future you. There's a lot about us, um, me, uhh, you that you'll learn.
*she squints, narrowed eyes fixed on mine and the unmistakable similarity, especially the tiny scar from a falling piece of glass that nearly blinded her. She gasps*
Me Then: Great! So I turn into a milk chocolate balloon when I get old.
*I smile, remembering those awful body issues, thinking I was so chubby because I wasn't stick thin. What I wouldn't give to be Me Then's size as Me Now lol!!*
Me Now: Long story involving a marriage, a kid, a divorce and other stuff that you don't need to know now -
Me Then: Wait - I get married? Why would I do that?
*I laugh outright*
Me Now: Not going to bore you, just know some things change. And that's why I'm here. I want to encourage you to look beyond the shootings, the gangs and the drugs in this neighborhood. Remember you are more than your environment. And listen to your mother much more often. Cherish her. Always.
*An errant tear streams down my cheek*
Me Then: I don't know what you're getting at lady, but I already have intentions of something more with my life.
Me Now: Good. Don't lose that fire. And hold on to your dream of writing.
Me Then: How did you -
Me Now: I was you. I know. Right now, you don't see your full writing potential. You are sabotaging you. But you need to know that you are worthy. Your words are worthy to be read by others. You have a story to tell that can speak to some, not all, but it will happen.
Me Then: No, no one cares what I think, except my journal.
*she chuckles, holding her book close to her chest*
Me Now: I know how you feel. The doubts riddle me now, even though I've published. Well, you - we - published. Whatever - oops, your neighbor's coming out to sit in the chair while you read. Make sure you wave at him. He's protecting you in ways you don't realize.

***Returning through the portal, I'm glad I had a chance to encourage Me Then. She'll need it for the ups and downs, to smile through the trials of life and to be okay with crying more times than she'd care to admit to. Life will be an adventure, but not a bust. She'll eventually make her dreams - one step at a time - come true. As Me Now, I have many steps to go, but that's what it takes, one step at a time.

40 comments:

  1. Life is definitely an adventure, Angela. The bad thing is we never know what is around the next corner! Oh wait a minute - maybe thats a good thing?? One step at a time is best or 'baby steps' as my mother used to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby steps, I can definitely agree with that lol!

      Delete
  2. This was fabulous! Oh, how I'd love to go back and tell my old self a few things. And I'd relish how thin I was, even though I thought I fat while wearing single digit jeans. Which, will NEVER happen again in this lifetime...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Yeah, I wish I could do this wormhole adventure for real.

      Delete
  3. Fun post Angela. So true life is an adventure and we usually can't guess as a kid where it'll lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. Even now, I can't fully guess what adventures lie ahead, but I'm doing my best to prepare for whatever...baby steps as Pat mentioned.

      Delete
  4. I love this idea of encouraging your past self aka future self! What a concept. Wouldn't that be cool if we could really do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be awesome to do it for real :-D

      Delete
  5. That was really sweet! With bursts of your wicked humor of course. I'm not sure my past me would believe the future me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your past you just might surprise you, in a good way :-)

      Delete
  6. Absolutely awesome! But, that we could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, huh? Maybe the tech will be there in the next millenia or two :-)

      Delete
  7. As they say: "Youth is wasted on youth.' What might I have done had I known time was so short : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, some things may have been done differently in the interest of making the most of things.

      Delete
  8. "Don't go to that party."

    I always wish I could go back to my 16 year old self and tell me that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy, I sure wish I could go back to my teen self and give me a little advice, not too much since there's a lot of stuff I wouldn't want to change but if I could just get the past me to get serious about writing sooner... say, is that wormhole for rent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You can borrow that wormhole. Just don't tell Stephen :-)

      Delete
  10. Ha ha! Words of wisdom, for sure. You forgot, "Invest in Microsoft, kid." ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Microsoft...right! Now I need to go back :-)

      Delete
  11. Wise words and you know, even without the advice from Future You, you seem to be doing pretty great. :)

    I'd tell my Teen Self to get involved in more stuff and stop wasting so much time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is the one that is so precious because there's no refund on that.

      Delete
  12. Man, if we could only go back or they could come forward...wormholes always confuse me. LOL. Love the new look up there on your header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Candilynn. Wormholes apparently cause more questions than answers lol!

      Delete
  13. What a cool post, Angela! It would be kind of neat, wouldn't it? If we could go back and talk to our younger selves? I think we were probably best off not knowing what twists and turns out lives were going to take - better to discover as you go - but we can all always use encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mystery of not knowing is a little scary but it is better since it keeps us from making things worse when trying to make them better.

      Delete
  14. You also could have invested in Apple! You have a great sense of humour Angela. That was an amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, Apple and Microsoft. I probably would be in an interesting position, but I have a feeling I am where I belong :-)

      Delete
  15. Aw, I LOVE this post! Very funny and poignant :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're brilliant, as usual, Angela! Your "Me Then" was surprisingly receptive to the crazy lazy from the future, lol! My "Me Then" probably would have been telling "Me Now" where to get off!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! Clever and wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Just...wow, Angela. You never cease to amaze me with your writing talent. Not only was it funny, but it was very moving and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just for you, I switched browsers, Angela. Life certainly is an adventure. I like how you didn't really tell yourself to avoid anything.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved this. It would be so great to be able to travel back and give a bit of encouragement to our younger selves. I find as I look back I see all the bad paths I could have taken, and while I made plenty of mistakes, I'll always be grateful for making the right choices at the right time. :)

    A round of hugs for all of us writers!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah yes, wouldn't it be good to be able to go back and knock some sense and encouragement into our young selves ;)
    Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Angela,

    Absolutely brilliant! I just love it when one has dialogue with themselves like that. You cannot begin to imagine how timely your posting is to me. For that, I thank you very much.

    I might just go have a talk with my teenage self. Who knows, I might get more than just a 'grunt' out of him :) Thank you, Angela.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wish I could talk to my teenage self too. She had so many questions that I could answer now...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Advice to take to heart: hold onto the fire. :) Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh yes, a nice heart to heart with teenage me would be good. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it. Wouldn't we all love to go back and help our younger self. Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.