Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Day in the Light: Dorothy Dreyer

I love spotlighting new works, new releases, cover reveals and novels soon-to-come. There's something genuinely uplifting about bringing attention to my fellow writers and their endeavors. Today, I'd like to spotlight Dorothy Dreyer.

Bio: My name is Dorothy Dreyer.

I'm a Philippine-born American living in Germany with my husband and two teens.

I write young adult books that usually have some element of magic or the supernatural in them. I also like to read those kinds of books. Aside from reading, I like movies, chocolate, take-out, traveling, and having fun with my friends and family.

I tend to sing sometimes, too, so keep me away from your Karaoke bars.

And here's a little something about her and her soon-to-come novel, MY SISTER'S REAPER.

Hi Dorothy! Please share how you got started with writing.

I've always written, but I really got serious about it about five years ago. I think the success of the Harry Potter books clued me in that chasing my writing dream could pay off if I was lucky.

What is the title of your soon-to-come novel? Please share a blurb about it.

My debut novel, MY SISTER'S REAPER, releases May 2013.
Add to Goodreads
Here's the blurb:
Sixteen-year-old Zadie’s first mistake was telling the boy she liked she could bring her dead sister back to life. Her second mistake was actually doing it.

When Zadie accidentally messes with the Reaper’s Rite that should have claimed her sister Mara, things go horribly wrong. Mara isn’t the same anymore—Zadie isn’t even sure she’s completely human. To top it off, a Reaper is determined to collect Mara's soul. Now Zadie must figure out how to defeat her sister’s Reaper or let Mara die … this time for good.

If you could sit down and share a glass of your favorite beverage with one of your characters, who would it be and why?

I would pick Lilura. She is Zadie's mentor, and she's a cranky, crazy old lady. I think I'd get a kick out of being around her.

Would you consider yourself a plotter or a pantser?

Mostly a plotter, but I do pants my way though chapters sometimes.

Were there any “darling” characters/scenes that didn’t make the final cut? If so, what?

No characters were cut, thank goodness. There weren't really scenes that were cut, just moved around. Pretty much everything that I wanted to be in the book is in the book.

Hard and fast with "the rules of writing” or more like “guidelines”?

Guidelines, until my editor gets a hold of the manuscript, lol.

What advice would you tell an aspiring author?

Never give up, write every day if you can, and read, read, read!

Hot button round:

Favorite snack? Chocolate
Least favorite food? Brussel sprouts
Favorite color? Plum
E-book or paperback/hardcover? Paperback (though hardbacks do look nice on a shelf)
Shop-a-holic or work-a-holic? Shop-a-holic!

And you can haunt Dorothy here: Facebook, Goodreads author page, @DorothyDreyer

22 comments:

  1. It was great to get to know you better, Dorothy. Plum is a great color choice, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad to host Dorothy. Thank you, Dorothy :-)

      Delete
  2. Nice spotlight on Dorothy. By the way, why are brussel sprouts grown? Does anybody like them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ref: "why are brussel sprouts grown? Does anybody like them?"

      You are too funny :-)

      Delete
  3. Love the idea for the book and Dorothy's favorite color; my bedroom wall color is actually called plum perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great story just waiting to be read.

      Delete
  4. That sounds absolutely fantastic! The cover alone sold me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes to Dorothy and ger YA books! its hard to cur characters or scenes from your hard work. I have a Junkyard I use when taking out scenes. I usually go back when writing another book and can "pick a part" and plug it in somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A junkyard sounds like a really good idea :-)

      Delete
  6. Great interview! Plum is such a lovely color (fan of purples). I like your answer about rules vs. guidelines. The book sounds great! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plum's a beautiful color and a yummy fruit.

      Delete
  7. Know what you mean about the editor getting a hold of it! Congratulations, Dorothy. Next May, your life will change forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it will be a very positive change for the better :-)

      Delete
  8. OH wow! I love that blurb! Book sounds fantastic! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and really can't wait for it to come out. I know I have to but still...YAY!

      Delete
  9. It's great seeing the cover of Dorothy's book. I'd love to read her book.

    I adore the color plum and although I prefer ebooks, paperbacks are my favorite print books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something wonderful about paperbacks. They are so snuggle worthy.

      Delete
  10. Great to meet you Dorothy. I had to laugh about the rules changing after an editor gets hold of a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things do change once editors get involved.

      Delete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.