Monday, January 21, 2013

Celebrating Law Breaking

History has been kinder to Martin Luther King than actual life was for him, his family and for those participating in the Civil Rights Movement.

*Pressure of leading a movement from the grassroots up
*Death threats
*Lots of death threats
*Deaths of others participating in the movement weighing on his shoulders
*Choosing a non-violent route when a violent route was quite popular

Yeah, sounds like fun, huh?
Not...
It's not that every moment of the movement was "Woe is me". But it was a difficult time when tradition and laws stated African-Americans were lucky to no longer be considered constitutionally 3/5th of a person. That it would be best to simply accept 2nd class citizenship because "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

As a benefactor of those who broke the laws, sat at lunch counters to stare down pure human hatred, faced biting dogs and power hose spraying police officers, and sweat to show the ugly face of legalized inequality...

Thank you.

10 comments:

  1. Discrimination for race, skin color, or nation has never made sense to me. People are people, and all God's children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more, Alex :-)

      Delete
  2. And on this significant day, when are certain factions of society not getting that we should celebrate diversity, race, creed or colour. All different and all equal.

    In peace and hope,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a beautiful way of looking at things :-)

      Delete
  3. I like the new look of your blog. And Americ was and is being built on those who stand up to what they know is wrong and break the law if necessary!

    And I'll post the Blogger Book Fair badge to my side bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' is a useful warning against change for change sake. It can also be a double-edged sword concealing injustice. Discrimination is common to many cultures but yours was a heroic struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you had a happy MLK day, Angela! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is strange for me to read this post now, having just recently watched THE BUTLER. The movie depicts all of those things you described: the lunch counters, the dogs, the hoses. Even though I know the movie scenes themselves weren't real, I know those things happened and the movie has lent me an image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is strange for me to read this post now, having just recently watched THE BUTLER. The movie depicts all of those things you described: the lunch counters, the dogs, the hoses. Even though I know the movie scenes themselves weren't real, I know those things happened and the movie has lent me an image.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.