Monday, February 18, 2013

A Day in the Light: Janiera Eldridge

One of the things I love about having my blog is being able to share my space - this bit of interwebz space - with others, particularly other authors. While I'm over at Indie Elite sharing a few thoughts, I get the joy of doing what I'm doing today, shining the spotlight on a particular author. Today's author spotlight goes to:
Janiera Eldridge, author of Soul Sisters and Dark Expectations.

She was kind enough to let me interrogate - erm - ask her some questions. And yep, she answered them so here's a chance to learn more about Janiera:


Please share how you got started with writing?
The writing bug bit me when I came down with Mononucleosis in college and had to leave college for a while. Mono is very painful physically and emotionally so, writing was very therapeutic. I developed Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; it’s been a real battle but writing helps me forget about the pain. I wish I had an elaborate story but this is it. LOL.

No elaborate story needed. Each road to writing and publishing is unique as a story all it's own.

What is the title of your latest novel and please share a blurb about it.
My latest release is Book 2 of the Soul Sisters series, Dark Expectations.  My blurb can actually tell you about the book better than I can:
With Ani taking her place as queen, there are some enemies lurking she could never imagine! There's a secret compound in California that wants to know the secrets to making a vampire or werewolf. When they kidnap Ani during a trip back to California they might actually get what they want. Her sister Dana, her lover Diego and other vampires do everything they can to get her back. If they don't succeed,they face being controlled completely by the human race forever! Dark Expectations is the exciting sequel to Soul Sisters that's full of adventure, danger and what it means to be queen!
*****Praise For Dark Expectations**** ......... overall it was well written, enough action to keep you gripped, entertaining and well-paced throughout. If you loved Soul Sisters then you won't be disappointed with Dark Expectations. -Claire Taylor #2 Top Reader on Goodreads

 Yowza! Sounds like an exciting read :-)

If you could sit down and share a glass of your favorite beverage with one of your characters, who would it be and why?
Hmmm- That is a really good question! I would like to sit down with Dana from the Soul Sister series. We share so much in common like our love for books and simple pleasures. She’s strong but soft spoken and cultured so we’d have a ton to talk about! I’d like to say Ani, the vampire sister, but I believe she would try to eat me. LOL.

Okay...Note to self: invite Dana to drink with and not Ani so as not to get drank from lol!!!

Would you consider yourself a plotter or a pantser?
A panster, I can never plot my novel or I’ll get bored with it and never finish writing it. I find it more enjoyable to write and let the characters take me where they want to go. If I have an idea I’ll try to jot it down and work it in though so that all the good stuff doesn’t slip away! lol

That sounds like a great way to enjoy the adventure of writing :-)

Were there any “darling” characters/scenes that didn’t make the final cut? If so, what?
I usually don’t edit out entire scenes.  I change them a bit but I can’t bare to cut out scenes entirely.

Hard and fast with ‘the rules of writing” or more like “guidelines”?
I don’t follow “the rules of writing” much. I like to have fun with my writing and I’m not really that good at grammar so yeah, I don’t really follow the rules until my editor makes me.

Hot button round:
Favorite snack? –Beef Jerky, I’m serious. I love this stuff!
Least favorite food?-Collard Greens, my family loves them but I hate the smell and taste so much!
Favorite color?- Red and sometimes Black. It depends on the mood.
E-book or paperback/hardcover?-I love Hardbacks but right now ebooks are my favorite. They're so convenient.
Shop-a-holic or work-a-holic or a different kind of –a-holic?
Work-a-holic & Book-a-holic! My work is at home so I’m always doing something and I can never seem to have enough books or ebooks. I need a book intervention, for real!

Thanks for having me on your wonderful blog Angela!

Thank you for stopping by, Janiera :-)

You can check out more about Janiera and her work:
Add to Goodreads
Soul Sisters is an urban fantasy novel about African-American twin sisters Ani and Dana who have a rather unique secret: one sister is human while the other is a vampire. While the sisters have lived peacefully with each other for many years one fateful night will change both their lives forever. When a drunken man tries to attack Dana (the human sister) Ani (the vampire sister) protects her sister with all of her ferocious power. However, when the vampire’s leader Donovan finds out about the public display he calls for the sisters to be assassinated for disobedience. Ani and Dana now are in for the fight of their lives to protect each other as well as the lives of their dedicated friends who have joined them on their mission for survival. If Dana and Ani can make it through this time of uncertainty, Ani can take her new place as vampire queen. Soul Sisters is expected to be a trilogy; The book also features a multicultural cast of characters that brings a new edge of chic to the vampire world!
Add to Goodreads
With Ani taking her place as queen, there are some enemies lurking she could never imagine! There's a secret compound in California that wants to know the secrets to making a vampire or werewolf. When they kidnap Ani during a trip back to California they might actually get what they want. Her sister Dana, her lover Diego and other vampires do everything they can to get her back. If they don't succeed, they face being controlled completely by the human race forever! Dark Expectations is the exciting sequel to Soul Sisters that's full of adventure, danger and what it means to be queen!

About the author:
Janiera enjoys feeding her book addiction when she not writing. She is also a book blogger at Beauty and Books where she mixes being a book nerd with keeping things chic. When not reading or writing she is freelance writing in the entertainment industry.When trying to relax she likes a huge yard sale on a Saturday morning, rainy days to read by and nacho cheese is her kryptonite. Soul Sisters is her debut novel.

How to haunt Janiera:

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me on your beautiful blog today! This interview was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh no! Janeira and Alex, collard greens are yummy and healthy too, unless you get too happy with the salt!! I just don't know how to make them lol!

      Delete
  3. Its great to meet Janiera. The Twitter link isn;t working but I was able to send out the FB invite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the FB link. Will look into the Twitter link. :-)

      Delete
  4. What a fun interview, ladies! Janeira, you rock! So sick and you can still write. Congrats on your new release!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to meet you, Janiera. I love your name. I have no idea what collard greens are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to the reasons why you started writing, I suffer from an auto-immune disease too and often times am confined to the house. So I created my own adventures instead. It helps.

    And sorry but I'm with Angela, I LOVE my greens!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angela! Thanks for introducing us to Janiera and her work. You are generous with your blog space, and I know everyone appreciates that. I know I do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Janeira! It's nice to read about your work and your style of writing. I agree with you about pantstering. Whenever I try to write an outline, it comes out boring. I think my characters know how to tell a story better than I do!

    ReplyDelete