Sunday, February 10, 2013

Even Blogger Book Fair Fun Must End OR Does It?

Unfortunately, the BBF fun must draw to a close, but not without one more spotlight of an engaging author.

Get to know Dan O'Brien

Please share how you got started with writing? Writing began, as I imagine it does for a lot of writers, as a hobby to pass the time. Much of my childhood was spent moving around, so it was only natural that I created my own adventures wherever I went. The writing bug bit me in middle school and continues to grow each day with every piece of prose written.

What is the title of your latest work and please share a blurb about it. My most recent novel was The Path of the Fallen. I will do you one better than sharing a blurb with you, I will offer a free look:

If you could sit down and share a glass of your favorite beverage with one of your characters, who would it be and why? I would probably say a cup of tea and the Crossroads from The Journey. The novella is grounded in an examination of the history of philosophy set to a fantastical backdrop. The Crossroads is a transient entity that offers guidance to the Lonely. There is something about this character that reminds me of myself, and as such I imagine a conversation would be quite interesting.

Would you consider yourself a plotter or a pantser? I am a disciplined plotter who uses organization to support my pantser habit.

Were there any “darling” characters/scenes that didn’t make the final cut? If so, what? Words don’t bleed, so I cut them. As a result, much of what did not make the cut was hardly darling. There were some short stories that never saw the light of day, but I have been able to do away with too much unfocused emotional connection to writing that does inspire, challenge, or take a reader on a journey of some kind.

Hard and fast with ‘the rules of writing” or more like “guidelines"? I would say that the current publishing trend lends itself to being a writer who has a sense of the rules of the “old guard,” but is willing to realize that much of what was canon has now changed. I have a tendency to adapt to the environment as it changes, makes for smooth sailing.

What advice would you tell an aspiring author? Understand what your goal with writing is. Figure out what strengths you have to achieving this goal and then deploy those skills toward your goal. And read a lot.

Hot button round:
Favorite snack? I would say tea and apples.
Least favorite food? Milk, ugh.
Favorite color? Blue.
E-book or paperback/hardcover? Used paperback.
Shop-a-holic or work-a-holic or a different kind of –a-holic? Workaholic and Exercise-a-holic.

Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing with us today :-)
Click here to purchase from Amazon
You can follow Dan or check out more of his writing projects here:

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's my pleasure having you visit today :-)

      Delete
  2. Great to meet you, Dan. I totally agree about words and bleeding. The pruning process is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are an exercise a holic. I've been working on that for a few weeks. I;ve been getting really lazy these past few months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Dan's advice to writers. Understand your goals and use your strengths in accomplishing them. I agree, it's important not just to set goals, but to really think about them.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.